Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 127419 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Celebration City Developments
« on: April 27, 2010, 02:36:56 PM »
I'm starting this as the final topic to cover all that is happening/will happen to the Celebration City site, rather than having so many threads all over the place.

Interesting developments today: several of CC's rides are on sale on ITAL: http://www.italintl.com/detail_page.php?record_id=1382

I've spotted the Moser Spring ride (the most obvious with OzCat right in the background), the flume, tilt-a-whirl, wisdom tornado, and I believe that's their bumble bees as well. Nothing important seems to be for sale though. I mean, the only rides I placed any value in were the flyers, double shot, flying carpet, and of course OzCat. I can take or leave the KMG Afterburner.

Looks like they're getting rid of a lot of the older, "sub-par" rides. This probably spells the end of the park as a typical amusement park though.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:00:04 PM »
I'd have no problem with them selling POP or single ride tickets for the OzCat and making it a lot like the Kemah Boardwalk in Houston.  I think that the place could be pretty successful if they did that.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 10:49:41 PM »
I think of CC as a nightime destination without a main ticket price, a pay per play situation with a few rides just to draw but the actual money maker being shops and restaurants. Branson needs a night time destination, the landing just doesn't do it.
The idea of a nightime development with dinning options, shopping with a few rides for the boardwalk feel would be welcome in Branson.
Think of Downtown Disney, it could be great for the evenings.
Make CC what the Landing was trying to do but with flair and character.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:24:21 PM by mhguy77 »

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
I think of CC as a nightime destination without a main ticket price, a pay per play situation with a few rides just to draw but the actual money maker being shops and restaurants. Branson needs a night time destination, the landing just doesn't do it.
The idea of a nightime development with dinning options, shopping with a few rides for the boardwalk feel would be welcome in Branson.
Think of Downtown Disney, it could be great for the evenings.
Make CC what the Landing was trying to do but with flair and character.

Although Downtown Disney doesn't really have rides and stuff like I think you are suggesting, but the idea is similar.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
I think the Kemah Boardwalk might be a better one to compare what CC could be
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:55:17 PM »
Branson USA had a pay ride scenario I believe. The landing did make it sifficult didn't it? As always I am eager to see what develops at CC.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
Who comes to Branson? Families and Baby Boomers. What do they come to Branson for?  SDC, Shep of the Hills, Shows, boating and fishing, and shopping.  After spending all day with the family doing any of these things the last thing that dad wants to do is go out after dinner and spend more money.  The last thing mom wants to do is fight with the kids some more.  All the babyboomers want to do is eat at 5 and catch a show and go to bed.  This is what CC never has and never will take off in Branson.  By the time you go all day with your family you are ready for some down time at the end of the day.  It has nothing to do with how good the park is.  Have you ever noticed how slow and quite everything is in Branson after 10 P.M. that is because everyone is tired, worn out, mad at each other, sleeping or all of the above at one time.  They  will wake up and try again in the morning.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
I suppose it's too bad that more people our age don't come to Branson without the kids.  We always went to CC with or without our kids.  Of course, we tend to be night people.  We still don't know what to do with ourselves after dinner in Branson.  We don't want to just sit and watch a show.  We don't want to just sit in a motel room.  If we have the kids, we sometimes swim in the pool.  But the last few times we've been to Branson since CC closed, we just went to the Landing and walked around.  We never purchase much because we have the same stores in Joplin, for the most part.  We do enjoy eating dinner at the Landing and then walking.

Tonight on Facebook, it says SDC is open until 9:00.  That is awesome!  We'd go back to SDC in the evenings if it was open later all the time.  I actually liked Moonlight Madness last year, but maybe we hit a good night.  We had no wait for dinner (bbq at Riverside Rib House) and a moderate wait for most rides. 

If CC was redeveloped as a place for shopping with rides, I'm sure we'd walk around there, much like we do at the Landing.  I just don't want to pay for every ride.  Maybe a bracelet or something could work.  But I don't want to pay a couple of dollars for each attraction.  Who want to worry about the cost of each attraction?

Familes go to Disney and other theme parks across the country that stay open later into the evening.  I think something could work for Branson to give families something to do after dark.  People seem to enjoy go-carts, though it's not really my thing.  In the meantime, I guess we'll be the family pushing a stroller after dark at the Landing.

MSUBear42

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 06:16:56 PM »
I still wish they would build an aquarium. It's something this area could really use.

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Celebration City Ferris Wheel for Sale
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »
http://rides4u.com/index.php/rides/results/cat/53

I had read that the ferris wheel at the Celebration City site and be used to anchor a new attraction. . . but it is up for sale.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Celebration City Ferris Wheel for Sale
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:31:11 AM »
Hmm, didn't see this on ITAL. It's strange that they have different products for sale on each site. I wonder what else is for sale?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
I sure hope they clear the site and redevelop soon. It would be a lot better than it all just sitting there and rotting away. That is a prime piece of real estate. Those buildings on Celebration Street could be rethemed and implemented into some new project. Some of those rides could stay, too. I'm still sorry to see Celebration City did not work out...my kids and grandkids loved the place, and it was just big enough to spend and afternoon and evening at and get to see and do everything we wanted to do. Plus, my wife and I loved the big show on the great lawn in the evening.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:45 PM »
Anyone hear anything lately? It's been a long time since HFEC has said anything about the place, but I thought the plan was to have a plan in place by 2010. Of course, maybe they do have a plan in place and liquidation is the first step...

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 10:16:20 PM »
That's what I've heard, sell what they can, first.  They're in no rush, but are keeping Wildcat to work in with whatever they go with, so I've been told...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »
What ever that do, don't lose Wildcat.
SDC has always made a great past to remember