Author Topic: Geyser Gulch  (Read 7516 times)

ghosthost

• View Profile
Geyser Gulch
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
I thought that section disappeared with the waterboggans?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:43:44 PM by History Buff »

sdcforever

Re: Geyser Gulch
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:33 PM »
Nope.  It's still alive and well.  Splash Harbor disappeared with the Waterboggan.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:43:59 PM by History Buff »

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
Still think they should have keep Splash Harbor.  It was a great way to spend and hour on a hot day.  The boys and I have great memories of playing their. 

UNI Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:41:40 AM »
We just returned from SDC today and, for the life of me, I can't figure out how Splash Harbor changed.  There were still water cannons and targets at Geyser Gulch; what used to be there in addition to what is there now? 

Descriptions and pictures would certainly be appreciated. 

Oh, and while I'm at it, what's going on with the Treehouse?  I assumed that it had become unsafe in some way, but that was always my favorite attraction as a child.  Climbing the concrete tree and going into the treehouse (which had giant punching bags added during a later year) represent wonderful memories.  I also recall various exits, one of which included a dark faux cave filled with Christmas lights. 

Thanks. 

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 12:55:59 AM »
To get to Splash Harbor, you had to walk all the way through Geyser Gulch, past the restrooms and onto a multilevel platform that included a small paddle-wheel steamboat.  It was an area that was filled with water features, and people got drenched.  This is the only part of Geyser Gulch that has been removed.  Elements of SH were moved to other locations including the new Riverblast.

As for the treehouse, you can find more information in another thread, but the short answer is that it will likely never reopen.  You are right:  it is unsafe.  Plus it is not accessible by all people.  The common belief is that it still holds sentimental value for the powers that be (who may hold secret meeting in there and spy on guests  ;) ).  I believe it might be difficult and costly to remove the structure because of its height and location, and it's easier to leave it be as long as it is sound.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

UNI Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:03 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply.  I can still hear the strange music from the treehouse in my head. 

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 10:36:05 AM »
I'm not entirely sure that the treehouse would have to be ADA compliant to reopen.  But I'm sure there are gray areas that would make it better left closed, especially since it would be costly to update and make it safe for guests.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
It may simply be an insurance fiasco.  Those steps were narrow and uneven.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 05:00:32 PM »
Ok, here's the plan. The treehouse is extensively remodeled. A "cage" like elevator (Which were available in a big city like NYC in the late 1880's or so...) is installed. The treehouse is renamed "Herschend's" and is an exclusive club for hard core fans and season pass holders. Reservations are required. A high end restaurant (I'd be open to cold beer being served)  opens there, with beautiful views of the landscape around it. Members are privy to special merchandise not offered elswhere on park, and the club is frequented by some of the "citizens" who visit with patrons and entertain them. Alright, where do I pick up my membership card?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »
Sounds like my 1880 club idea!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:00:06 PM »
Yeah...it is!  ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 03:01:46 PM »
That actually would be pretty cool if SDC made a club like that for hardcore fans.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
Other perks for this club could be an overnight stay with a special buffet. 
Andymeets1880s

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
In case no one besides me has children...   They have replaced the balls and vacuum tubes this year.  everything over here seems to be working better.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
those foam balls are the bane of my existance. How nasty they have to be. I am not by any means a germ a phobe but think about how many hands touch those and where those hands have been. Not everyone uses the Germ X, and no one germ x's their shoes. They are foam balls, pourous foam balls. Pleasnt, right?
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!