Author Topic: Branson West  (Read 3875 times)

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Branson West
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »
We are changing the way we do things in Branson this year.  We will be staying at Deer Run for each trip and generally not going into town.  Since we have fairly young kids (2 and 4) we hit the sack pretty early and it is not worth the hassle.

Because of this we went to eat in Branson West on the last trip.  Had pizza a a great little local place (that I can't remember the name of) and we will definitely be back for more of their pies.

But what else should we not miss in the Branson West? 

How is the BBQ 'Diner' that we passed on our way for pizza? 
We prefer to eat local places as opposed to chains.

"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
Re: Branson West
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:17 AM »
I've never eaten at big daddy's but I've heard really good things, I know Danna's is good, that's the big BBQ building past sonic and around the big curve.  You're thinking of Pizza by The Chef I'd wager.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:55:33 AM »
Bruce Herschend, Jack's son, now owns Talking Rocks Cavern. It's not too far from the intersection with Highway 13 and W. Highway 76 at Branson West. It is a small cave, compaired to Marvel Cave, but very well decorated. Nice little gift shop, and if you are an adventurer...there are a couple of other caves right next to it that are part of the property that are semi "wild" caves, and tours are available. With the small kids, though, I'd reccomend just the Talking Rocks Cavern tour.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »
Yes, that's it, Pizza by the Chef.

Is Talking Rocks an easy tour? We have not been in Marvel because the little guy can't walk it and he is too heavy for me to carry the whole time.  I know our daughter would love it though.  If Talking Rocks was a better compromise we could definitely give it a try.
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Talking Rocks is a walking tour. Immediately upon entering the cave  you go down a staircase of maybe two or three stories. It's fairly level from then on if I remember correctly. A relatively small cave, beautifully decorated. Then, it's back up the staircase to the gift shop. I think it's about 45 minutes in the cave.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:36:29 PM »
hey i noticed that the bbq place in bransonwest was mentioned  are you talking about 2 fat daddy's? well if so i have eaten there a few times and its always been good so give it a shot if you can    www.twofatdaddys.com/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:42:18 PM by orient express »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
I would actually recommend Danna's for BBQ over 2 Fat Daddy's, not that 2FD is bad, Danna's is just better, IMO.  If you like Mexican fare, there's Tequila's just a couple of doors south of Pizza by the Chef, and it's pretty good.  If you like Oriental, there's a place in the front of the motel just west of Taco Bell, but it's small and limited in choices.  For burgers, Chicago style dogs, brats, and stuff, there's a place called Mickey's on the north side of 76, locally owned and pretty good.  There's also some good restaurants down in the Kimberling City area, though I'm not as familiar with them.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »
hey isnt there 2 dana's locations. if so which one is better?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:51:36 PM »
There are actually three Danna's in the area.  The one in Branson West; in Branson, there is one on 165 down between Skyline Baptist and Fall Creek Restaurant.  I've eaten at both and they are equally good.  There is also one out on 76 East, quite a ways out of town, but I've not been to that one.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"