Author Topic: Creature in the Creek?  (Read 10658 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Creature in the Creek?
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:35:01 AM »
It seems like I've seen a "ride concept" thread on sdcfans that discussed a water ride idea for SDC called "The Creature in the Creek." Apparently based on the legends of Bigfoot, or MoMo the Monster. I guess the creature jumps out at you as you travel along an Ozark creek in a boat...kind of a revamped and rethemed Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride. This seems like a relatively inexpensive ride to put in compared to a multi-million dollar rollercoaster. Is this a "dead" concept, or could it come back in the future? I also think a "shot tower" ride, if themed properly, could work at SDC. Any comments?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Creature in the Creek?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
^I was thinking about it at the park the other day and just think how great a shot tower would look over by Powderkeg. It would probably help with Powderkeg's lines a bit and it would really enhance the area's atmosphere even more.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:14:29 PM »
Sounds like a good location for a shot tower.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 12:23:02 PM »
I think the idea is intriguing! However, with the Lost River of the Ozarks, the American Plunge, the Flooded Mine and with the new River Blast, is there anymore room in the park for yet another boat style water ride?

Of course the American Plunge could use a nice revamp. Perhaps they could completely overhaul the ride, and location for a new boat style attraction?

I am just brainstorming. ;D

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »
I agree. As much as I love American Plunge, it has needed an upgrade for a long time. It just hasn't been the same ever since they took out all the theme in the cave.

I'm all for a change to the Plunge.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »
It seems like I've seen a "ride concept" thread on sdcfans that discussed a water ride idea for SDC called "The Creature in the Creek." Apparently based on the legends of Bigfoot, or MoMo the Monster. I guess the creature jumps out at you as you travel along an Ozark creek in a boat...kind of a revamped and rethemed Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride. This seems like a relatively inexpensive ride to put in compared to a multi-million dollar rollercoaster. Is this a "dead" concept, or could it come back in the future? I also think a "shot tower" ride, if themed properly, could work at SDC. Any comments?

You read my ride suggestion - not an actual concept from SDC.  I like the idea of bringing in the Ozark myth of MoMo, and it could absolutely work with AP.  The whole "doing it together" theme could be reworked to be "We can do it" (In light of current struggles, this might be a timely concept.).  The idea could also be worked into a dark ride or even into the Mystery-Mine-type coaster - perhaps along with other Ozark myths.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 07:43:41 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
History Buff, I like the idea!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
When I first heard of this concept I was all for it being a Mystery Mine type coaster. It wouldn’t have to be a water ride, or they could have water effects for the summer and just turn them off the rest of the year like FITH.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 04:16:55 PM »
Hey, that would work. Good idea!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »
Sounds good to me, just make it a ride that can be up all year.
Or at least as much as the coasters.
A week ago there were no riders on the River Battle, is was 80, seems lieka waste of money.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:47 PM »
^Kids aren't out of school yet.  I'll bet the lines get longer.

^^I wouldn't make it a water ride, but a dark ride or MM.  That's what I propose.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

UNI Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 01:26:11 AM »
I agree. As much as I love American Plunge, it has needed an upgrade for a long time. It just hasn't been the same ever since they took out all the theme in the cave.

I'm all for a change to the Plunge.
I liked the Buzzsaw Falls "plunge" better than the original. 

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:14:20 AM »
Of what I actually remember of The Buzzsaw falls, it was pretty fun. I still kinda wonder why it came down.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
If I remember correctly it broke down a lot. It was an "experimental" rollercoaster, and was allegedly too costly to keep repaired and maintained.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:27 AM »
I honestly hated Buzzsaw Falls. It was slow and boring. Long lines for crappy ride=Sad and angry park go-er. I was rejoycing the day the cursed contraption came down.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!