Author Topic: Titanic  (Read 7221 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Titanic
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
What does everyone think of this museum? We went through it on Friday and loved it. It has a really great design and you'll learn a lot. Worth the money.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Titanic
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:12:21 AM »
I have not been to Titanic, but have always wanted to go. I did see a traveling Titanic exhibit in Memphis a few years ago, and it was fantastic. It is amazing that paper items left for 80 years in saltwater could survive, and when cleaned properly, look almost as they had been written on a few days earlier. How many artifacts are in the Titanic Museum in Branson? Or is the interior of the place just fixed up like parts of the old ship? The only thing that has hindered me from going to Titanic/Branson is the price. I have not been to a single music theater in several years because of ticket prices. I just have a hard time parting with the bucks. When I lived in Branson, average price to get in to see Baldknobbers or Presleys was $5. When George Jones was at the Grand Palace a few years ago, ticket price was $50. Way too steep for a poor guy like me. What about the Roy Rogers Museum, or the Harold Bell Wright Museum? Anyone been to either? I've thought they both looked interesting, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:28:30 AM »
I have not been to the Titanic Museum yet, but I plan to go this May during my trip to Branson. I am pretty excited! I was a huge Titanic history buff back in high school.

I hope to see more trip reports here from people who have already experienced it. The idea of a Titanic Museum is great, but I have been concerned that it was more of a gimmick, and not worth the price tag.

Slightly off topic, every time I watch the movie I keep thinking there is a chance that they will not hit the iceberg, but I always end up wrong. :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:29:17 PM by Ozark BBQ »

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
I went through it in 2006.  It's a very interesting museum.  You pretty much need to spend an entire day there in order to see everything!

TakMe2SDC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12:56 AM »
It is worth the money!! We took our family there last year, and there is alot of interesting things there.  Although I would not recommend bringing a 3 year old!!  Mine just wanted to run around, and made it impossible for me to take it all in, the older children really enjoyed it though!  I would say it is a "must do" in Branson, I will go there again in a few more years, when we are out of the "terrible three's"  ;)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:52:11 AM »
We went the year it opened, and we were allowed to take pictures then (of most parts of the museum).  Since then, I've heard you aren't allowed to take pictures, but I may be wrong about that.

Many of the artifacts are from one of Titanic's sister ships.

We liked the museum, but to us it's kind of a one-time visit thing.  Maybe we'd go back in a few years.

I believe the Roy Rogers museum is closed and they are selling the artifacts.  Again, that's what I heard.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
How about Ripley's Believe it or not? I went through it twice when it first opened and enjoyed it. Have they changed exhibits there in recent years?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
Titanic is certainly a must see at least once.  Very interesting and educational.  A few hands on exhibits make it fun for the kids.  Worth the price.

It has been a while since I went into Ripleys, but it seemed to be the same as the previous time I visited...hence the reason I have not been back.  I have been to several Ripleys across the land and from what I gather, if you seen one, you have seen them all.

How about the "new" wax museum?  Anyone have have an update for this year?  I like the King Kong addition on the outside.  If you look at the Titanic webcam, you can see it and with the lights, it really looks good at night.

jphillips08

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 01:03:45 PM »
I thought the Titanic museum in Branson was great! I remember when a traveling exhibit came to Union Station in Kansas City that had a bunch of artifacts but it did not even come close to the museum in Branson.

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 07:53:16 AM »
My daughters who are 11 ask everytime we go to Branson to go to the Titanic.  They enjoy it and it is one place that a family go and be reasonable.

Unlike Ripleys and wax museum, I find those attractions are rather steep to enjoy every time.

My girls can't wait to see the mascots this year.

bwm8184

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 08:01:17 AM »
I am a huge fan of the Titanic and I really enjoyed the museum and thought it was definately worth the price.  I will be going back again.  It was really crowded when I went last summer so I didn't get to stop and read everything and I will go back just so I can do that.  I agree this is a must do in Branson.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
As I understand it, the none of the Titanic artifacts were recovered from the wreck itself; they are all items brought off the Titanic by survivors or rescued at the time of the accident. 

Each time at Ripley's has been the same for me.  I've been to three, and the one in San Antonio was the best.  I'd say it's because it was our first one.  The prize for me is the opportunity to see actual props from my favorite musical - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

We went to the wax museum once with a coupon, and I enjoyed it.  Of course, I appreciated the old wax museum, with it's crude, "interlocking-trailer-house" design.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
^You are right, none of the artifacts are actually from the Titanic. It is all models and things donated from survivors, but it is still very interesting and awesome how they have the whole place set up. There are a lot of artifacts from Titanic's sister ship The Olympic, however.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
Then it begs to be asked why called it the Titanic if none of artifacts are actually from the ship itself.  I guess I was under the impression that it was devoted to actual "museum" pieces from the ship itself, not a sister ship.  If I would shell out the money they ask for, just to learn this, I would be kinda peeved off.  But I guess you have to pay for all that atmosphere.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:29:25 PM »
^No, you may be misinterpreting this.  I respect them for not actually going to the shipwreck and desecrating it; Robert Ballard never intended for the wreck to be salvaged after finding it.  However, many of the items are from the ship - they are items brought off the ship during the actual rescue.  I, too, have been to the traveling exhibit, and admittedly have not been past the gift shop of the museum, but I still imagine the museum to be more impressive than the traveling exhibit.  Much of the exhibit was fabricated and reproduced for the public, as well.  From what I've seen from the museum book that I have, it has a pretty well-planned display, and everyone I've heard from is impressed with it.

There is also a lot of stuff from the latest movie epic which, by the way, is just begging for a sequel.  No, that's not a joke.  I think a similar movie, a different epic story, set on the Carpathia, with its response to the Titanic disaster, would make for a unique companion movie.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating