Author Topic: Tom Sawyer's Landing Revival?  (Read 24717 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Tom Sawyer's Landing Revival?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
Personally, I hope they don't try to turn the Landing into any sort of new "area" in the sense that it has to have it's own theme to set it apart from the rest of the park. I'd rather they fill the place with shops and make it into a downtown-like area for SDC. Maybe they could keep some of the old play area in tact, and have it sort of work in with the new shops.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
The balloons and carousel should be moved to either Grand Expo or Geyser Gulch as they look really out of place there in TSL right now as that whole area has really just died.  Perhaps that area could be made into another indoor theatre?  They could always use more performing areas that are indoors -- especially during World Fest and anymore Harvest Fest and Picnic/BBQ
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2008, 02:16:12 PM »
I know once the ropes need to be replaced in the Rope Towers they are not going to replace them and it is coming down. Kind of sad, just because I grew up climbing on them. This will happen in the next few years. I like the idea of the balloons and carousel being moved by Geyser Gulch. They could remove the toy store and place them in that location. They could build a bigger and better toy store in the Landing. I also think they should move the Glass Blowing shop to this area. The current shop is awkward and having a high end shop in the area it would draw more people, maybe the Glass shop could replace the Tree House????

sdcforever

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
I agree that the balloons need to be moved.  Moving a shop like the Glass Blower to the area would attract more people.  I guess it's inevitable that the Landing that I grew up with will disappear/change.  I just want SDC to keep up what it has done in the past with changes to the park:  they are well thought-out and are not ultimately regretted.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2008, 05:02:38 PM »
I like your ideas, Copper. Moving the glassblower to the Landing would be cool. If they took out the carousel and balloons and moved them, then maybe they could build an all-new building hosting not just the glassblower, but maybe some other crafts of that type, too.

I'd rather see the carousel and balloons go to the Exposition. I think they'd fit in a bit better.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2008, 05:07:38 PM »
I think the balloons and the carousel should be moved to the Grand Exposition would be cool just as almost all of you are saying. I don't know if I really like the idea of a new theatre in that place though. I would also like to see a downtown-type area be put in there like Steve said.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 07:15:55 PM »
Man, I hope there are plans to bring back the ropes in some way somewhere else someday, but I guess they are a huge liability with people's legs going through them and little kids getting hurt on them...

I actually hope the Ballons get moved someplace other than the Grand Expo - that area needs to become more like a world's fair and less like a dumping ground for rides. A place in Geyser Gulch could work well.

The carousel can probably go, I don't remember anything redeeming about it, and it's the one ride at SDC that actually shows a lot of wear. Remember the rumor a while back about a huge new carousel with interchangeable horses that came and went with the different seasons and festivals? That would be great in it's own pavilion somewhere near the middle of the city.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »
The carousel has seen better days. The one cool thing about the carousel is that it was made by the craftsmen of the city, so the new one should be too. I like the Geyser Gulch idea too. Rides should be spread out not just inn one place.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
The carousel can probably go, I don't remember anything redeeming about it, and it's the one ride at SDC that actually shows a lot of wear. Remember the rumor a while back about a huge new carousel with interchangeable horses that came and went with the different seasons and festivals? That would be great in it's own pavilion somewhere near the middle of the city.

Wow! I'd never heard about that. That would be AWESOME! What would be even more cool would be a gigantic two-story carousel. Not the puny ones like at the mall (well, at our local mall), but really true two-story carousel.

And as said by Copper, all the horses made by craftsmen at SDC. I mean, hey, the huge weather-vane at the Giant Swing is made by the craftsmen, so why not new carousel horses?

And put the old horses on display around the park.

The balloons could work at Geyser Gulch, too. I just thought the balloons might kinda fit in the Exposition, taking on the theme of those tethered hot air balloon rides that you often saw/see at traveling shows. So, yeah, it could fit in in either place.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
A new carousel gets my vote.  The one at CC is beautiful.  I think the Landing should become the city park, complete with bandstand and small town flavor.  Just think - SDC's own Central Park.  I'm thinking of the scenes in Pollyanna and The Music Man.  Watch 'em and you'll agree.  Maybe a kind of Mayberry feeling only fitting in the time period.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
I also like the idea of a new carousel, and I like having it in the center of the city.  A new downtown area where the Landing is now wouldn't be too bad, either. :)  I agree, Steve, it would be nice to bring the rope maze back somewhere else in the park.  It's too bad that might require all guests or their guardians to sign a liability waiver before climbing them. :-\

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »
Copper....  I know you said they were not planning to replace any ropes as they wear out but when I was there 3 weeks ago I saw a lot of new roaping.   It looked like they had replaced a large section.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 11:06:41 AM »
Copper....  I know you said they were not planning to replace any ropes as they wear out but when I was there 3 weeks ago I saw a lot of new roaping.   It looked like they had replaced a large section.

That's great news!  Maybe they're planning on keeping the rope maze around a little longer.  I'll totally climb them when I visit SDC soon!  Copper, do you have any updates concerning the rope replacements?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »
^^Meh, it's not like they're waiting for kids to fall through before they finally take them out. I'm sure they're probably waiting for the structure as a whole to deteriorate enough to warrant completely taking out. Either way, it won't be too long now.

sdcforever

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 12:33:40 PM »
^^Meh, it's not like they're waiting for kids to fall through before they finally take them out. I'm sure they're probably waiting for the structure as a whole to deteriorate enough to warrant completely taking out. Either way, it won't be too long now.

As usual, Steve, you are the voice of reason.  :)  I can hear the death knell for the ropes starting even now...  I'm sure they have good ideas for the Landing.  I'll definitely plan to spend some time in there during my SDC visits this year, perhaps take one final romp through the rope maze.  I think we're due for a lot of changes in the park in the next five years and replacing Tom Sawyer's Landing is only the beginning.