Author Topic: Caves in the Ozarks  (Read 6455 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Caves in the Ozarks
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
Aside from visiting Marvel Cave or Talking Rocks, anybody have anything to share about other show caves in the ozarks? I have enjoyed going through both Meramec Caverns, and Fantastic Caverns in Missouri, and Blanchard Springs, War Eagle and Cosmic Caverns in Arkansas. Is anybody old enough to remember when Old Spanish Cave at Reeds Springs was open as a show cave? Has anyone visited Bluff Dwellers Cave in McDonald County, MO, or some of the caves in the Lake of the Ozarks region. Missouri at one time was known as "The Cave State," but alot of show caves have closed in the last few decades. In Arkansas, here in my neck of the woods, Wonderland Cave at Bella Vista and Rebel Cave, also known as "Civil War Cave" were once show caves, open to the public. Both are now closed, and it's too bad. Many of these caves have wonderful, decorated rooms and much historical significance.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Caves in the Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
(Ozark, MO) -- A local tourist attraction is re-opening after being virtually forgotten for more than thirty years. Smallin Civil War Cave was a popular tourist Christian County attraction in the 1950's and 1960's, and now a local couple is working to make it available to the public again. -Ozarksfirst.com

http://www.smallincave.com/index.html

OPENING APRIL 2!!!!! 9am

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:12:05 PM »
Thanks, Rube! Enjoyed looking at the Website.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

slow_walker

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Rosey's Ramblings
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
As a kid, I grew up near Crystal Caverns in Cassville, MO and went through it dozens of times. If my memory serves me correctly it was known for having the largest variety of cave formations in the entire United States, even though it was a fairly small cave. It's been closed for years, but I keep hearing rumors that they are working on re-opening it.

Thanks for the link to the Smallin Cave site. I didn't realize it was reopening. I will have to make a trip over there soon.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:54:58 AM »
I grew up in the Ouachitas, but we had a number of "caves" that were actually failed attempts at mining. I went to college in the Arkansas River Valley (dividing line between the Ouachitas and Ozarks), and explored lots of informal caves on public land throughout the area, on both sides of the river.

As for commercial caves, I only remember going through Marvel, Talking Rocks, and Meramec.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 01:55:32 AM by KBCraig »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
Right on the edge of the ozarks, in St. Louis County, was Cherokee Cave, used by the Lemp Brewery to cool barrels of beer. Lemp Beer, and Falstaff Beer were brewed at Lemp. The cave was partially collapsed when construction got underway on I-55. Parts of the cave remain, closed, off limits to the public. Although that didn't stop a group called Ozarks Underground from exploring there, huh Rube? (And apparently many others, who vandalized the place) In Rube's defense, if he was a part of that group at the time, all he did was take pictures.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »
We have one over here in southeast missouri in wayne county that was open in the 60's thur the 70's call Rebel Cave. It has one formation that resembled a frog. It too is closed now.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:35:42 AM »
The cave IS apparently still there, however after fruitless attempts by some of that group, it still is impenetrable and very illegal to enter. If you know anyone in the warehouse space above the cave, it is said that you can enter with them, or part of a speleological society that was allowed entrance several years ago. From the photos that some guy posted online, the cave door has been bricked up never to be entered again. The mansion tour above ground is great though and this is about as close as I will come to the cave. For Stl Ghosts/lore the Lemp Mansion is an awesome place to go. It is now a bed and breakfast. The cave below the mansion was run by the eccentric Lemp family who had many deaths/suicides/etc. They had a vaudeville theater for the biggest acts of the day to enter the cave from the mansion, a heated pool using the steam from the brewery to heat the water in the cave, rare cave formations such as the black dahlia, and many soda straw stalactites, and even ancient peccary skeletons found inside. It was a tour cave up until as Junior said the construction of I-55. It would be really cool to go in, but I believe that it is not going to happen anytime soon, nor is it safe to attempt! I will stick to the photos that other rebels post on this one for sure!

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:19:52 PM »
(Ozark, MO) -- A local tourist attraction is re-opening after being virtually forgotten for more than thirty years. Smallin Civil War Cave was a popular tourist Christian County attraction in the 1950's and 1960's, and now a local couple is working to make it available to the public again. -Ozarksfirst.com

http://www.smallincave.com/index.html

OPENING APRIL 2!!!!! 9am

The Owner/Operator of this cave is now the lead at Marvel, I can't wait to see this one!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 05:16:34 PM »
Interesting. I'm going to have to put Smallin Cave on my agenda for things to do this summer.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
As a kid, I grew up near Crystal Caverns in Cassville, MO and went through it dozens of times. If my memory serves me correctly it was known for having the largest variety of cave formations in the entire United States, even though it was a fairly small cave. It's been closed for years, but I keep hearing rumors that they are working on re-opening it.

I went through Crystal Caverns when I was in middle school.  I remember it was very muddy when I went through it.  A girl I knew when I was in high school had a cave on her family's property.  She lived in Anderson, MO.  We walked through it a couple of times.  Looking back, I can't believe her parents just let us walk around in there.  I remember it had a pretty good-sized main room.

Now, my daughter loves caves.  She won't ride FITH or Thunderation, but she'll go on any cave tour.

Oh, and I guess two summers ago we did Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:20:36 PM by StaceySue »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
The Owner/Operator of this cave is now the lead at Marvel, I can't wait to see this one!

I had to check this out on their website, and yes Wanetta is pictured.

When I was a kid and lived in Oklahoma City, my parents took me to just about all of the caves in the Arkansas/Missouri Ozarks.  As I remember it, that's all we did - just camp out in a pop-up trailer and tour caves.  My passion for caves began at that time and continues today.  I do remember being so upset by Talking Rocks, since NONE OF THOSE ROCKS ever said a word while I was there! (I was also pretty scared of anything named Devil's Den.)  Every year, we make out classroom into a cave and take other classes on tours.  We won a $1000 for a video we made about it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 08:02:40 AM »
I remember going through Mark Twain Cave in Hannibal in the early 70s when it was still used as a fallout shelter. They had civil defense food and supplies stacked up in a passageway. Anyone have memories of going through Wonderland Cave or Rebel Cave in Benton County, AR? Both were show caves, but are now closed. War Eagle Cave near War Eagle Mill and Beaver Lake in NW Arkansas is nice. I'm gonna post a few postcard shots of some caves on the Flickr site. Coming soon...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 08:33:58 AM »
Meramec Caverns, Bridal Cave, Onondaga Cave, Talking Rocks, and Marvel Cave postcard shots on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan