Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157896 times)

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #450 on: October 16, 2010, 09:21:58 AM »
Mid-October is now my favorite time to go to SDC...the weather was incredible, the people (citizens and crowds) were uber-friendly, and the craft demonstrations were incredible.  Plus, we rode everything with less than a five minute wait.  Had a BBQ sandwich at Riverside Ribhouse with a sweet tea while we sat overlooking Lost River.

Aside from SDC, we saw "Noah" at Sight & Sound (excellent); took the kids on the Ducks (also great); and stayed at All-American Inn (very clean, quiet, and also super friendly people).

I noticed that Branson was full of tour buses of retired folks...is this the norm?  I'm asking because we intend to go back at this time next year, and I hope those retired folks are there too...every person we came across was not only nice, but treated my kids like gold.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 16, 2010, 12:42:11 PM »
We're home!! Had a very relaxing last 2 days. 8)

Day 1, Thurs. -- Left the driveway at 9:21 in the morning. Got our lil' motel room at about 1'ish or 2'ish, unpacked, & got to the park 25 minutes before 3, hung out by the big water clock & talked with afew folks celebrating their wedding anniversarys. Bought some cheap shirts in the hospitality house, with the log & axe logo on them, for $10.00. Got right on PK to kill the excitement alil', ate some ham & beans at Aunt Polly's. Got right on FITH, same with Wildfire - still hit my head 3 times... Bought some kettlecorn, then bought 2 50th Anniv. shirts. Started to cruise Branson but changed our minds cuz it got backed up fairly soon. Pace at SDC was real slow, lots of older folks, no basketballs or cellphones, no lines, no nothin'.... Great relaxing 3 hours.

Day 2, Fri. -- Breakfast at Michels in Branson West about 9'ish. Got season pass preferred parking for only $6.00 cuz my girl is 50 yrs old. Walked to the entrance & in, just in time to be part of The Nat. Anthem. We was just outside the hospitality house & i could see the big banner - colors, & all the people.. It really made me reflect of years past & memories to come, i have to admit it put a lump in my throat & my eyes got alil' moist.... ;) We went straight to the glassblower & watched the first show. Then watched a guy carving a 6 ft. wood Santa across from Thunderation for about a 1/2 hour, then rode T'ation. Rode the Swing 2 times in a row, no lines, made me dizzy enough that we had to go on. Watched a guy named Dave make some cedar birdhouses', talked with him for a hour or so. Played with a goat for 15 minutes or so.. Watched some log huein' for 30 minutes or so. Went & got a roast beef sandwich & apple pie at Big Jacks. Slammed PK twice, then FITH, finally had a 10 minute wait for a ride!! Great to see FITH is SO busy, i love it!! ;D Got some taffy for friends & family, they got some stuff called Wildfire - its freak'n HOT!! Bought some more t-shirts, old ones in a 3 pack for $20.00. Left the park about 4. It was alil' busier than the day before, but still very relaxing. Only saw 1 basketball. Food was good, prices were ok but we are always prepared for that.

We went with $700.00 & still came home with $300.00, thats just us tho'. I have no complaints. We just have a hard time sleepin' when we'r out'a town, i have no idea why.... Beds are always too hard for my woman & i just cant sleep. We'r early birds anyways.

Thanks SDC! Had a blast'n & relax'n time, we will definitly go durin' the week from now on.
Yes, i did take notes. :D ::)   
Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 16, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
sounds like a great 2 days! low traffic flow is bad for the park, but always makes the trip more fun. Always nice to be relaxed and walk where u want and stop when u want. We always stay at the eagles lodge hotel on the west side of town, beds are comfy, continental breakfast, the manager and her husband are great! price is very reasonable. We are headed down next weekend.. I am past ready!!  Hoping for low admission on sunday.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 16, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
how-do: I get that for my dad cuz he doesnt even blink when he eats it. I think he burnt off the hot recepters in his mouth. Last year they didnt have it down as wildfire. It was a small rectangular piece, brownish in color. It burns!!!!! Owwwwww! Glad to hear you had a great trip and a safe trip home!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

pintrader

« Reply #454 on: October 16, 2010, 05:44:19 PM »
Went to SDC yesterday and saw this between the gazebo and hotel on the square.  The way it looked it was cut out of one piece.  We asked and the man said it was put together from 69 separate pieces.  Hard to believe it took that many pieces to make, but then again it's hard to believe it's $3,600 for a walnut rocker.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 16, 2010, 06:02:09 PM »
WOW! ???

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
Here is my official trip report to Branson from Wednesday October 13th through Sunday October 17th.

Day One

This was my first trip back to Branson in several years. On Wednesday my family, and I loaded up the Mustang, and left from Little Rock at around 10:00 AM, and essentially took Highway 65 all the way into Branson. This drive is still as scenic as I remember it being. The autumn leaves were really starting to come alive throughout the Ozarks. After arriving in Branson, my family, and I visited the new Branson Landing for the very first time. We sifted through the Bass Pro Shop Store, and had lunch at Garfield’s. We sat at an outdoor table which overlooked Lake Taneycomo. Later that evening, we returned to the Branson Landing, and enjoyed the fire, water, and lights show which was spectacular.

Day Two

This was our first day at Silver Dollar City! Thankfully, the crowds were not too overbearing on this brisk Thursday morning. After getting our tickets, our very first stop was at the bakery to buy a couple of those tasty jumbo sized cinnamon rolls! The street characters were out in full force, and they were as wonderful as always. There was so much activity going on in the town square before the park even opened. As soon as the ropes dropped, my family, and I made a mad dash straight to Powder Keg. I must admit, nothing wakes you up in the morning quite like blasting off on that coaster. Afterwards, we tried out Wildfire, which does a great job of reminding you of what you had for breakfast. Later on, we made a visit to the new River Blast. Unfortunately, it was a bit too chilly outside to really see the attraction in full force. However, we were able to water blast an unsuspecting older couple who rode the ride. Afterwards we made a stop by The Giant Swing. I truly enjoy that ride - while standing on the ground! For lunch we stopped by the Riverside Rib House which is sort of a family tradition. Later, we mingled our way over to Geyser Gulch, and had a foam ball fight with some of the other kids which was a lot of fun. Afterwards, we passed through The Grand Exposition, Thunderation, and Grandfather’s Mansion. We ended the day at Silver Dollar City by buying some lye soap, and learning a trick, or two from Masterblade Smith Ray Johnson. Oh, and how could I forget? We also had a chance to meet with Terry Sanders, and Woops-a-Daisy in the animal barn.

Later that evening, my family, and I made a visit to the Titanic Museum. I had not given that attraction much credit previously, however, I was thoroughly impressed! I would highly recommend it, and the prices were very reasonable at about twenty dollars a person.

Day Three

Our second day at Silver Dollar City started much like our first one. A warm cinnamon roll, and a jaunt on Powder Keg first thing in the morning. Afterwards, we made a trip over to Fire in Hole. I must say, the cosmetics inside the ride are definitely an improvement. However, the actual ride itself was a little more rough than I remember. Later, it was time to board the train on the Frisco Silver Dollar Scenic Railway! Although much of the train ride is the same as it has always been, I enjoyed it immensely. The train robbery was a comedic success as usual. My only complainant, however, is after passing by the original hold up location, you can clearly see cars parked in a nearby parking lot. That was a tremendous eye sore! Later on, we made a visit to The Flooded Mine, and had timed our arrival so perfectly, that my family, and I had the entire section of boats to ourselves! We ended the day by grabbing a funnel cake, and sitting in front of McHaffie’s Homestead to listen to the lady on the front porch tell her endless stories.

Day Four

Our third, and final day at Silver Dollar City started off much like the first two. A warm cinnamon roll, and a breath of fresh air on Powder Keg first thing in the morning. My family, and I spent most of the day just floating in the wind, and catching up on all of the things we may have missed before. We also got to see the Saloon Show which was an absolute riot! It was hilariously funny, and truly a great time. The show had no dull moments, and really entertained quite well. For those of you who hated the “It's Raining Men” song I have good news for you - it’s gone! Before leaving for the day, I sampled some fresh peanut brittle, and bought some fudge at Brown’s Candy Factory.

Later that evening, my family, and I made a visit to The White River Landing, and watched the Showboat Branson Belle leave port. It was such a peaceful, sunny afternoon on the port, and it made for some nice free entertainment. After the sun went down, we drove the busy Highway 76 strip one last time to experience it in its full glory.

Day Five

Today was day number five, and my family, and I made the trip on Highway 65 back home again. What a wonderful experience! :)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks for all the trip reviews.  I enjoy reading them.  Glad everyone had a great time. I agree with Kerrydale, October is my favorite time to go to the park. My wife is a high school teacher so we can only go on the weekends.  It would be great if we could get there during the week.  On a different note, I read several reviewers talking about their motel/hotel.  It's a shame we all can't agree on one and talk to them about an SDC Fans special discount in exchange for a little word of mouth (web) advertising.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
now that is a great idea! i will talk to Paige(motel manager) about it. I bet she will go for it.. will let you all know what happens when i get back next week...

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:14 PM »
Great detailed trip review Ozark BBQ! Thanks! Glad ya had a good time.
I thought the baldknobber scenes were just fine inside FITH. I always yell back at Ned Flanders & his wife when they comment on his pants gettin' stolen - 'THEM DANG BALDKNOBBERS!! :D I heard a lil' girl ask her mom -- "are there really fires in there" & "are the baldknobbers real?" Ofcourse her mommy said no, i tried to tell the lil' one that you can yell back at them & they'll leave ya alone. She looked at me like i was crazy. Oh well..
Live life like it's the last day!

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 18, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
My parents, grandparents and the rest of my extended family are heading to Silver Dollar City this weekend. This is the first time in my life time they will go without me. I'm in my first year of vet school so I expected there would be a conflict. I have a test every Monday in October so there is really no way I could go. I did get to go this summer but, I could go every day during the summer and it still wouldn't cut it for my annual SDC fix. There's nothing like going to the Ozarks in the fall. Ahh well there are plenty of fall seasons left in my life. I just feel like I need my SDC break the most this year. So please take tons of pictures of SDC in the fall and send 'em my way!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:37 PM »
Nice to read the last several reviews, especially Ozark BBQ's. Glad to hear the current citizens are doing a good job of keeping everyone entertained!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #462 on: October 18, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
Thanks Junior! While in the Hospitality House I was skimming through the 50th Anniversary book when I came across the picture in reference to you, and the Diving Bell. I was so ecstatic to tell my family about all of the things I have learned from you, and others here on SDCFans.com ;D

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 18, 2010, 06:11:45 PM »
Headed to the City on Saturday, Hope it doesn't rain. Got to find my SDCFan.com  tee!
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 18, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
we will be there sunday.. last sunday of the fall festival.!!!!  "hoping for small crowd"