Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157850 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #435 on: October 10, 2010, 06:46:21 AM »
yes, i will bethere on sunday, hoping for low turnout....  sorry  ::)...........  i would love to have time to browse the booths and walk where we want without the crowd..  good luck ozark! you knows it will be great!

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 10, 2010, 09:39:48 AM »
So, we went yesterday (Sat., Oct. 9), ans wow, it was busy!  But of course, it was a Sat. in October, and the weather was beautiful, so we weren't surprised.  The crowds were manageable for us, but for someone who had never been, it may have been frustrating.

We broke one of our rules and arrived well after rope drop.  We were making it a day trip, so we drove for about an hour and a half to get there.  I was just too tired to get up early enough.  School has been wearing me out  :).  We got to the parking lot at about 12:15.  We were routed right to Stop 5.  There was a line to board the tram, but trams and buses were arriving one after another.  The only problem we had was that we were in line waiting to board.  The line was wrapping down into the parking lot.  As our turn approached, we were happy to see a tram coming for us.  The tram is faster than a bus for anyone, but we had our one-year old and a stroller, so we would much rather deal with a tram.  Well, it was certain that we would be able to board the tram as it approached.  The tram was followed by a bus.  When the bus pulled up behind the tram, the tram attendant opened a place in the fence.  He probably meant to help load the bus, but everyone behind us went for the tram seating.  Those people poured in and filled the back of the tram before we our line moved and we could board the tram.  We thought we weren't going to get one, but we were able to split up and get on the tram.

We did get into the park quickly, though.  There were people everywhere.  And I'm sorry to those people who were bumped by my stroller.  I know people complain about that, but people stopping suddenly all over the place.  But again, that's part of being in the crowd.  We knew we needed to feed the youngest soon, and we had our 12-year old with us, too.  We decided on the Lumbercamp for kid-friendly food, but when we got there, it was closed.  I have no idea why it was closed on a Saturday at lunch time.  We went to one of our favorites instead,  Riverfront Rib House.  There was a line, but it wasn't too long and it moved surprisingly fast.  Both indoor lines were open, and that line on the far left was also open, so things were pretty efficient.  It was good, as usual.

By the time we had finished eating, it was time for Headin' West.  We got in line at about 1:30 for the 1:45 show.  We were on the far left side, but there was plenty of seating on that side of the theatre.  Being on the side wasn't all bad.  We were able to get an aisle seat in case we needed a quick exit with a crying baby.  She did cry out once when she was startled, but she was easily soothed with a pacifier.

After the show we went to Geyser Gulch and let our youngest run around in the toddler area with the slide and the rocking playground stuff.  She ran all over the place.  No one else was up there when we arrived, but soon the place was packed with toddlers!  We took her to the ball part, and I have never seen that place so full of kids.  They were everywhere!  I followed the toddler around for awhile to make sure she wouldn't be trampled, but she had a great time.  I see tantrums in our future when we leave...

We hit my older daughter's favorite ride--Flooded Mine.  The ride actually had a line to the outdoor section of the que.  Usually you only see that when a train has just unloaded.  The line moved quickly.  They also had the "face" working in the que.  Fun! 

After the ride and some frozen lemonades, we headed over to the Expo.  Our youngest fell asleep, so she didn't ride any insects this trip.  We had met our parents for this trip, so they took the kids while we rode coasters and bought pork rinds.  We walked onto Wildfire, but PowderKeg had a pretty long wait.  We did wait for it.  After our ride, we walked around the booths a little.  The crowds how thinned out, and it was easier to see things.  We decided to leave at about 10 til 6.  There was a line going stretching into the marketplace to exit, but it wasn't too long or scary.  Once you could get through the exit turnstiles, you could get where you needed to go.  Stop 5 had its own que, so we were able to board the next available tram.  It was no wait at all.  It went straight to our stop, of course, and we had no problems leaving the parking lot.

We ended the day with dinner at Cracker Barrel with my parents.  That place was packed, too.  We did wait about 20 minutes to be seated.  At least at Cracker Barrel, there is plenty to look at while you wait!

|

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: October 10, 2010, 05:33:02 PM »
So, I just booked our rooms for SDC Christmas at Deer Run Nov. 12-13!  It's the only available weekend I have until Dec. 18.  I thought the weather may be better in Nov., but we'll see.

KTfromKansas

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: October 11, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
We are also planning a family trip the weekend of Nov. 12-14, hoping to beat the cold weather.  Anyone ever been on a Veteran's Day weekend?  How are the crowds??

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #439 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the review StaceySue!

I am glad you, and your family had a great time. Silver Dollar City is the perfect day trip for folks who live in the area, and have been there before. Long lines are the epitome of my life. :P I always hope that most people would visit during the summertime, and forget about fall because of school, and whatnot. However, those autumn leaves, and cool temperatures never fail to bring in the crowds.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 11, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »
hey there KT.  where r u from? i am south of topeka..  we get to go next weekend  :) and then have a 4 day trip planned in Branson thanksgiving weekend ;D..
and then probably 1 more the week after x-mas when everything is still open... and that will be all this year :'(

KTfromKansas

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: October 11, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
What a small world... I am from a small town South of Topeka as well!  I would Love to have that many trips planned for the remainder of the year, but don't think it will happen.  Maybe one quick day trip in December, who knows.   :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:14 AM »
ok. KT.  I am within 3 miles of Lyndon..  your turn?.. I have made several trips to sdc this year.. it has been great, planning on it again next year.  went down at least once a month this year since april. 

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: October 12, 2010, 01:35:15 PM »
For those that have been in the last week or so, are the leaves changing yet?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 12, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »
branson website says another 10-12 days for "peak" foliage...  We will be there!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 12, 2010, 09:39:32 PM »
Had the great fortune to go to SDC this past Saturday and Sunday (October 9th and 10th).  Could not have asked for better weather!The kids were having a blast getting to ride the water rides in October. Like StaceySue, we headed to the Lumbercamp for lunch on Saturday only to find it was closed. Turns out Northeast Oklahoma Electric Cooperative was having an employee appreciation luncheon and they were holding it at the Lumbercamp.  I have never understood why SDC does not have a picnic area (like other parks) where large groups and companies can gather for a meal.  Expecting a large crowd we hit Powderkeg and FITH first thing and got several rides in. We then went to the Saloon show at 10:30 only to be greatly disappointed. The young man who played Fabian has left SDC to go to work for Yakov. He was terrificly funny and really made the show.  They replaced him with a woman, "Miss Sally", and although she tried very hard the show was just not as good or funny.  They cut out several bits and shortened it down quite a bit. Major, major disappointment!! Hopefully the Christmas show will be better when Choctaw Charlie returns. Overall, I was really disappointed with the shows (or lack thereof) during my visit.  Must say Head'n West was very good though.  I really enjoyed the Old Prospector--he was a riot.  The guy playing the main character Luke played Scrooge last year in Christmas Carol.  Was wondering if he will play Scrooge again this year.  Had a nice conversation with an older gentleman named Lee...he is one of the guys who has played Grandpa on the train ride at Christmas. I was disappointed to learn that he will not be playing Grandpa this year as he always did a nice job. Saturday was very crowded...Sunday much less so. I enjoyed watching all the crafters and agree with others who have stated they did a better job this year spacing them out.  Thought they really wasted the space in the Red Gold Hall. I poked my head in Sunday and there were about three couples dancing at the barn dance and about 50 people sitting in the bleachers watching.  Really missed the Tastes of America and all the various foods that used to be in there..especially the desert counter.  I really wonder if they just didn't want to be bothered taking the bleachers down for the Harvest Festival only to have to put them back up for Christmas.  I wish they would bring back the various shows they used to have in there like mule jumping, trick riding, etc. I always enjoyed those as they presented something you didn't see every day.  The park looked nice and everything was running.  The Grand Expo is still missing something....it needs something in there to pump some life and character into it. My daughter had some friends with her attending the park for the first time. It's always great to see the reactions of firsttimers. Overall, really enjoyed the weather and had a great time.  Can't wait to get back there Thanksgiving for the Christmas festivities.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #446 on: October 13, 2010, 10:52:48 PM »
I am in Branson right now! ;D

I will be at Silver Dollar City this week, and will post a review shortly as well.  :)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 14, 2010, 07:27:07 AM »
We'r head'n out this morn'n, go'n today for'a few hours & all day tomorrow, & be back Sat. afternoon. Will write-up our review ASAP!! See ya!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Live life like it's the last day!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 14, 2010, 10:01:53 AM »
As others have said it was really crowded last Saturday. We had a great time. I have a comment though. The sound of the horses on the toll bridge makes no since at all without the sign to explain it. Why did they take that sign down?

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 14, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
have agreat weekend how-do....  next weekend for us