Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 157902 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #390 on: August 25, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »
The PBS type thing would be a great idea.

I never counted sheep. I also would go to sleep at night by closing my eyes, walk through the turnstyles (there was never a wait) and continue through the Hospitality House into the city. Music was always performed on the gazebo stage, the crafts were always being demonstrated, fudge was always there...never a line for anything. I never made it down the hill to FITH I was always out cold by that point....Funny thing is after a stressful day, I do this, and as a teacher, I have a lot of those days! I can honestly say if those counted, I was at SDC every day this year (sometimes I would go there in the middle of the day while on my lunch break!)

pintrader

« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Went to SDC today!  The weather was perfect and starting out we could not even guess how many people would show up today.  We arrived about 8:30 and there was already more people there than I had ever seen at that time on a Sunday morning.  We started the morning by purchasing a few pin trading pins in the Hospitality House.  I asked the clerk how many people were they expecting and she said "well we had 15,000 yesterday and expected at least that many and probably a few more today".  Well we hit FITH and PK right off the bat because I knew it wouldn't take long for the lines to start to form.  We stayed away from the water rides because nobody really wanted to get wet.  We did go over to RB and the kids started shooting at this one family in a boat.  The mother I presume did not want her hair to get wet and started hollering "stop, don't, quit".  I really don't know what she expected riding RB and not expecting to get wet.  I really think she might have gotten physical if she could have gotten a hold on them.  Oh, well!  life goes on!  We then went over to the old WB site, but it still looks the same as it has all summer long, nothing going on as far as a new attraction.  I even asked a few citizens if they knew anything about any new attractions for next year.  They all said they had not heard anything about it.  So it looks like they are keeping it pretty hush, hush.  We caught the Sons Of The Silver Dollar and Canaan's Crossing (which were a pretty good bluegrass-gospel group).  We ended up getting tired of fighting the crowd and leaving about 3:30, saving our energy for another day.

pintrader

« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2010, 09:37:14 PM »
I wanted to add that today was the first time in a long time that I had seen the Flooded Mine ride line backed up to the entrance.  The train depot line was also backed up half way to the old taffy shop.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:40:15 PM by Pintrader »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2010, 10:11:26 PM »
I even made the comment today that I wished I was @ SDC. Now I wish this everyday, in my head, but this time it was aloud, and my wife, the wonderful patient soul that she is said "I know". Perfect weather would have been amazing to be there, but the crowds would have gotten on my nerves for a Sunday (albeit a Holiday Weekend Sunday). Glad you got out to enjoy it Pintrader and thanks for the review.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #394 on: September 05, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »
Thanks for the review Pintrader! ;D

The weather in the Ozarks this Memorial Day weekend has been absolutely gorgeous, and perfect! One would think that after school starts back up that the crowds would thin out a bit, but apparently everyone has the same idea about visiting Silver Dollar City during the cool late summer days. ;)

I share your sentiment about hitting your favorite attractions first. Unfortunately, with the ever growing long lines, there is simply no way to save the best for last. On the issue of River Blast, I am certain that there is a large sign posted nearby that says you will get wet! I laughed when I imagined that poor woman, and her misguided judgment before stepping onboard the ride.

You picked a beautiful weekend to visit Silver Dollar City, and I am glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing! :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:25:54 AM by Ozark BBQ »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2010, 03:00:15 PM »
I bet it was a great weekend weatherwise. We elected to wait until fall festival starts. So far we have been down at least once a month since April..  love that place!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 16, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »
I am very new to this forum, but I've been going to SDC since I was a kid. Just went for the first time in years last June, Just as cool as I remember. They cut the train ride a little short, guess they got behind schedule. I wish there more street shows, but I was there during kidfest, so it's hard to say. Didn't a music festival used to correspond with the Harvest Festival? I am going back on Oct 9-10, I am going to pay the extra $$ to go to the lantern tour of the cave. I think I was driving our tourguide a little nuttie. I think know the tour a little bit too well.

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
My husband and I were in Branson from Sept.11-19 and we went to SDC every day that they were open.The crafts were great, but we were disappointed that there wasn't the live entertainment as in past years. We enjoyed the street shows and liked Steve Bush (the new Homestead Picker). We spent most of our time listening to the Pickers and Aunt Judy. Hope to get back  down in Nov. for the Christmas Season.

Harp

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 27, 2010, 10:33:08 AM »
Hey Cheesehead-

Which picker did Steve Bush replace or is he a 5th?

Thanks.

Harp

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »
Got my tickets for the weekend of 8  - 10 October. Can't wait. Haven't been there in the fall in 8 years. I want to take the lantern tour. Are they still doing it this late in the season? If any of y'all happen to see me out there, introduce yourself. I know that I only have one picture of me on here so far so I'll send another one. I was thinking I need a name tag.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2010, 10:51:01 AM »
Looks like I will arrive just in time to miss you. I am going to Branson on October 13-17. October will be a great month to go though! ;D

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Dwight Murdy quit the Pickers this Spring to go his own way wth  his family band. The Pickers weren't allowed to replace him until the Fall Festival.Steve Bush is from Eureka Springs and has played in theaters in Eureka Springs (a while back) and in many theaters in Branson, currently with the Paul Harris Show.He is good and plays several instruments.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2010, 03:01:06 PM »
Ugghhh AGAIN, for work, I will be not even an hour away (Springfield MO)...and will not be able to get to the City. Thats the problem with riding a big yellow school bus with a team, I cannot "get away" for a while. Maybe next week....

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 02, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
I went to the city Sept 29 and 30 for the Crafts festival.  Weather was great, just enjoyed being there, low crowds and plenty of sunshine.  I do miss the different concerts that they have had in recent years-now they mostly have just the basic everyday groups.  I saw the homestead pickers 3 different times for the first time on this trip.  They are great, very entertaining and the jam session was good too.  I happened to look around a bit for any little orange flags around the city from time to time, but the only ones that I saw were under the bridge by the glass blowing shop.  So they probably don't mean anything.  But had a great time.  Going back this weekend for the Homeschooling weekend.  Tell more later.
Vote to end 2020!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »
2 more weeks before we can go again.  But we will be there!!  last full weekend of fall festival... and then u know whats next.......................