Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 156682 times)

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #375 on: August 16, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
My friends and I were at the City on Friday the 13th. We drove in from Shell Knob, MO which is an hour away. It was nothing but curvy roads through the Ozarks the whole way there. So beautiful.

I know what you mean about Shell Knob and the drive to SDC.  My parents stay on Campbell Point for a week every year.  I agree that it's beautiful.  Thanks for the report!

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 17, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »
Haytater, excellent bunch of pictures and thanks so much for sharing.
Vote to end 2020!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #377 on: August 21, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Great job with the photos Haytater!  I can't believe that we were just a few days apart!

Shell Knob is always the way we come in to Branson and it's just as much a part of my SDC experience as the City itself.

I finally uploaded all the photos from my recent trip as well.  There's a slew of them (sorry!)

Just click the links below

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157624777240948/">SDC Day One (Moonlight Madness)</a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157624777465092/">SDC Day Two (Regular Day)</a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/skinnytie/sets/72157624653024373/">Just the Night Photos</a>

I have to say that the night photos were kind of a bust.  They ended up looking like "dusk" photos instead because of my long exposures.  Not only that, but I had been taking photos all day long and my battery died (Ugh)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:02:56 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

pintrader

« Reply #378 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
Really nice pictures Betamike!  Makes me feel like I am standing right there.  If you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera were you using to get these great shots?

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 21, 2010, 10:43:46 PM »
Thanks kindly!

I use a Canon EOS Rebel XS 1000D with a 55-250mm Zoom lens for some of the shots.

Flickr has made some changes to their site, but on each photo if you click on "Actions" at the top, there is an option to "View EXIF data" which will tell you how long the camera, lens, exposure time, etc..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:51:38 PM by betamike »

pintrader

« Reply #380 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Thank you very much for the information  :).

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #381 on: August 21, 2010, 11:22:08 PM »
Awesome job on the photos betamike!

I love riding the rollercoasters, but I think when I go on my trip this October I going to spend an entire day just photographing the park.  :)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 21, 2010, 11:44:35 PM »
I still ride a few of them, but yeah....I gave up on viewing SDC as a "thrill" park and use almost all of my time to capture what I see.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 22, 2010, 01:02:43 AM »
Those are great, Betamike! The low light shots are done very well.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 22, 2010, 02:29:53 AM »
Great pics!
Makin' me "jones."
Live life like it's the last day!

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 25, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »
Well, this comment will probably get me the title of SDCFan SuperGeek! But I was thinking...a couple of years ago, I visited Ha Ha Tonka Park at the Lake of the Ozarks and had an idea to use the video on my digital camera and film everywhere I loved to be there. More specifically, what I did was hold the camera at eye level and then filmed everywhere I went continually rolling. That way, if I missed being there and wanted to feel like I was really there again, I could hook the camera up to the tv and just roll it and it would be like I was walking around Ha Ha Tonka from my couch. Get it?!

Now, if I could just get back to SDC, I'd do the same thing there! I would take a day to walk around SDC and film the entire thing from eye level. Ride rides, see shows, see craftsmen, etc. and then when I really wanted to be back at SDC, Presto! I would be!

Andymeets1880s

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
I once had a christmas DVD from sdc that someone made, and it was basically the same thing From trainride to saloon show, to the tree, and other places within the park...all was first person point of view (P.O.V.). I looked this christmas to put it on while decorating the tree, and it was not there :'( I'll have to make one of my own then the hardest part would be not talking throughout the day while filming!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #387 on: August 25, 2010, 12:13:23 PM »
You can talk Rube if you want to! I bet people would enjoy your thoughts, and anecdotes as you walk through the park.

Just no talking to the prisoners in The Flooded Mine, and hold your thoughts during the train robbery if you want to keep your gold. ;)

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 25, 2010, 12:46:40 PM »
Thanks Rube! I knew what I was tryin' to say, but it just wasnt comin' out right. "First person point of view!" That's exactly what I was trying to say! There was talking in my Ha Ha Tonka film and I wasnt worried about that really. There are kinda "pick and choose" spots to have silence like the Chapel and walking the bridge, ridin' rides, etc. Naturally, you cant do anything about the talking of strangers, but I imagine you could pick your spots for not talking.
Andymeets1880s

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 25, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »
I used to dream about my SDC experience in "real time" with nothing sped up.  So I would start off in my mind with waiting for the tram, buying a ticket, walking to the turnstiles and so on. 

I also used to take my oversize souvenir maps (the big ones from the 70's and 80's) and lay it out on my bed using little tissue balls rolled up to represent my family and I would do the same thing where I would take leisurely strolls through the park in my mind that way. 

I love the idea of a PBS quality film of that sort from the first person!