Author Topic: 2010 Trip Reviews  (Read 156639 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Trip Reviews
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
Well, he wasn't actually a snake-oil salesman. It was Zeke Hatfield and he'd bought a bottle of snake-oil from a salesman.

I feel horrid, but I don't think I caught the name of the young lady's character. I'll have to check my video when I get back from class.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Thanks for the pics Tinnman.  It's interesting to see how much farther along Spring is down there as opposed to here in SD.  Looks like most of the trees are leaved out and flowers are blooming, while here only the bushes like lilacs have leaves.  Was only in the 30's this morning.  Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Really makes me look forward to June and SDC!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:39:04 AM by PastorDon »
In His grip!

pintrader

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2010, 12:54:41 PM »
I went to sdc for the first time this year yesterday.  I was a little disappointed in the opening ceremonies.  I was expecting company's coming, wonderful day, grand old flag. Maybe it was time for a change, and possibly it will return next year.  How does everyone else feel about this.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
I dunno, I quite like the full-length version of A Great Past Ahead of You. It had been a few years since the last time I was present for opening ceremony, so I don't remember/know what it's been like the last several years.

As I think about it, I'm becoming more and more excited about what they're doing with the characters. It reminds me a bit of how they do things at the KC RenFest, where there's a storyline for the day and it begins at the entrance then at certain times throughout the day at different areas of the "park", you see the continuation of the story all the way up until the end of the day when the final climactic "scene" plays out at the exit.

Having the Bolin brothers come charging through at the opening ceremony is really great, because then if you ride the train later in the day, you get a sort of continuation of that story thread.

Now, if only they could do a bit more with that, keep it going through to the end of the day as people are exiting the park. And, as I've probably said far too many times on here before, they really, really need more characters in the other areas of the City! Right now, all the characters seem to be stationed in Main Street (except E. M. Balmer); or at least, that's how it seems. It's cool to have Doc Harris around, but I think he should probably be closer to Wildfire.

And apparently they do different sketches each time the street troupe comes out during the day? I've only managed to catch it once so far, and that was with Zeke and (Sarie Ellen McCoy?) talking about the snake oil. But we came up on the tail end of a sketch earlier that day that involved some gun shooting.

I think I'm gonna take one day and just stake out on Main Street to capture all the different things on video. I'd love to make a music video dedicated to the characters of the City.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:52:07 PM by tinaalsgirl »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2010, 02:20:09 PM »
I think I'm gonna take one day and just stake out on Main Street to capture all the different things on video. I'd love to make a music video dedicated to the characters of the City.

Silver Dollar City on MTV? Now that's entertainment! ;D

Actually I think having the Bolin Brothers participate in the opening ceremonies is a very smart move! I mean let's face it, it seems kind of silly to think that these two money grabbers would simply wait around all day for the next train to come through. It makes so much more financial sense for them to venture into the city from time to time.  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 02:20:41 PM by Ozark BBQ »

sdcforever

« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2010, 03:12:42 PM »
I really like the "Did You Know" signs!  Thanks for all of the trip reports and pictures everyone.  I'm really looking forward to visiting the park myself next week! :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
good to see the photos! Thanks!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Cardinal Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »
Great pics....thanks for sharing!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
Something that maybe you all already know is as follows from the SDC website:

"2010 Collector's Ornament
Requirements: In celebration of our 50th birthday, visit 5 times in 2010 and qualify for our special 50th ornament. Must pick up ornament during your visit to Silver Dollar City's An Old Time Christmas festival."

I am glad that for once a normal fan can get an ornament. I used to get them every year when We would attend I think it was 3 festivals during the year-World fest-Summer/or Fall, and Christmas. I hate it that they upped the number of festivals needed to get the ornament. I do not attend for the ornament, however it was a nice incentive. I could NOT make it more than I already do, and those of you that have come to know me on here I am there alot, but I have a job etc, and cannot on a whim attend SDC-especially at certain times of the year. I know they could be bought for $10 in the past. I just think the # of festivals attended in the future needs to be rethought to allow for others to get ornaments. Just my thoughts.

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2010, 12:27:24 PM »
Yup, Rube I couldn't agree more.  I think its unrealistic to expect people to travel down so many different times of the year to get the ornament-especially with our present obamaconomy.
Vote to end 2020!

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:51 PM »
I second that.   I am unsure how many times I get to travel this year since my job depends so much on the states budget.   

We will not know until November who will get to keep their jobs and who will be bumped.  It will take that long since the union is involved.

I am just waiting to win the Mega Millions and they can all kiss me goodbye!!!   Branson here I come!!!!  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2010, 04:38:24 PM »
You and me both Twinsmom!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
I've always seen it more as an incentive to buy a season pass and as an incentive for passholders to visit more often. The fact that it's still available for $10-ish to those who can't make it more than once or twice a year, to me, means the "come so many times, get it free" is more of a perk/incentive than anything else.

As a general side note: let's please leave political statements (subtle or no) off this board or at least in the off-topic/Random Talk forum. We're here to talk about SDC, not take jabs about politics that may offend someone.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2010, 07:43:05 PM »
I was simply wondering why in the past years, the park decided to "up" the number of visits in a time when the economy is pretty bad, you 'd think that there would be more of an incentive for people to go. Again I do not go JUST for the ornament, but after visiting 3-4 different festivals I felt shorted last year since I couldn't make it to one of the smaller festivals-It ended my streak and my tree had a bare spot, Guess I'll watch ebay for that one!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
I have to wonder if their decision was based at all on the surveys they send out. I remember they had quite a few over the last year or more that had to do with the economy and how often people did visit and planned to visit.

From a corporate POV, if attendance is down, one way to get it back up is to offer an incentive to come more often. So by upping the number of festivals one must attend in order to receive a free ornament, it means those who want the free ornament come more often, therefore spend money at the park more often, and thus the company earns back what it loses by giving away the ornaments plus makes profits beyond that.

I know it sucks, but from a business standpoint, I think I understand the reasoning (or at least the possible/likely reason).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:39:05 PM by tinaalsgirl »