Author Topic: Seaworld Accident  (Read 5302 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Seaworld Accident
« on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
What do you guys think should happen to the whale that attacked and killed a female trainer recently? Reportedly, the same whale killed another human in 1991. According to the article, the whale is important for the breeding program and cannot survive in the wild. So I believe that if the whale has to stay in Seaworld, that it should not be in anymore shows and should have as little human interaction as possible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8537996.stm
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Seaworld Accident
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:16:39 AM »
1. It is not trained.  It is used solely for breeding purporses
2. It is not used in shows.
3. The trainer slipped into the holding tank.  The whale did not grab her.
4. Only the death in Canada was a "provoked" killing.  The 2nd killing was only "assumed" that the whale killed it only because the naked man was in the whale's tank.
5. The whale has lived its entire life in captivity - releasing it would be like forcing you to go live in the woods for the rest of your life without any prior training.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »
I say keep it for breeding and for looking at through the tank walls (or however people go see stuff; never been to a Sea World type place yet).

But... I thought they said on the news that while he didn't actually perform, he was used for splashing the audience...?

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »
I agree with Becky.  Keep it for breeding and for viewing purposes.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:59:51 AM »
But... I thought they said on the news...

If you go by the news (especially ABC) you'd think that it was in the middle of a show and the whale ate the girl there in front of a capacity audience.  You cannot believe the news.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
OK. Well, the only info I'd seen was a video of Katie Couric talking to a reporter on-site. *shrugs*

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »
Katie Couric?  I thought you said you saw it on the news! 
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
LOL. That's why I'm more than willing to accept Swoosh's info as true, 'cause... yeah.

I only mentioned her 'cause I forgot the name of the news program she does. LOL

Joy

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 08:25:44 PM »
1. It is not trained.  It is used solely for breeding purporses
2. It is not used in shows.
What's your source on this? The witnesses reported they had just watched this whale in a show.

3. The trainer slipped into the holding tank.  The whale did not grab her.
This contradicts multiple eyewitness statements. The park initially said she had slipped and fallen, then retracted that statement.

I agree the whale will have to live in captivity. It's unfortunate, but it's not a wild animal.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »
I can tell you all from working for a major theme park, you will only hear what the press and media want you to hear for ratings unless you work in the park or live in the city and know people.

There is no way you cannot sensationalize this, but the fact is (I work with a close friend of the deceased who was indeed in the park the day of the event), that this incident happened backstage (NOT in the show) and the whale is part of the SSP (species survival plan) that most animal parks use to create genetic diversity.

Any animal handler or trainer knows the risks of working with wild animals, even ones that have lived their lives in captivity.  This happens because they are indeed animals and as horrible and tragic as it is, it just confirms that we as people meddle in their environments far more than they request to be in ours.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 11:55:10 PM »
What's your source on this? The witnesses reported they had just watched this whale in a show.

Of course they reported that - and since when is the witness an expert at telling one killer whale from another?

Reminds me of the Monsters Inc witnesses when Boo gets loose in Monstropolis
"the human picked me up with his mind power ray and shook me around like a doll"
"it's true, I saw it with my own eyes"

The story keeps getting better every time you tell it -- and especially if you are going to get your 15 seconds of fame on national tv.

SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 01:24:50 PM »

Of course they reported that - and since when is the witness an expert at telling one killer whale from another?

They're at least as good as some guy on the internet who wasn't there.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »

They're at least as good as some guy on the internet who wasn't there.

The "some guy on the internet who wasn't there" has connections with "some guy who was there and would actually know" - but whatever you seem to be the expert
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:32 AM »
 ::)