Author Topic: 1980 Whitewater Brochure  (Read 5232 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
1980 Whitewater Brochure
« on: February 26, 2010, 06:38:58 PM »
Check out my Flickr account for a look at the 1980 Whitewater Brochure for the park at Branson. That was the first season the park was in operation.
This joins material on the Flickr account for SDC Tennessee, and many photos of SDC MO of the diving bell, float trip, and around the park from the late 70s and early to mid 80s.

find it all at:     http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: 1980 Whitewater Brochure
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:04 PM »
Hard to believe it's been around so long, yet it remains so small.

Do you have anything from the other white water parks? One of these days I'd like to investigate the history of White Water Georgia and Oklahoma more extensively. It feels like that's a lost piece of HFEC history.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »
I have nothing on the other whitewater parks. If I remember the history right...it seems after they went into partnership with someone and built parks in Grand Prairie, TX, Oklahoma City, Georgia, and a couple of other places, they started having some sort of difficulties with the partner, I cannot remember if it was a clash of personalities, financial issues, or a combination. All I remember is that it was announced in a company newsletter that SDC, Inc. (as the company was known at the time) had sold off all interest in the whitewaters, except for the park in Branson that they kept. I think the Whitewater chain was an early "lesson learned" for the company, and they moved in another direction. Now they are the largest family owned theme park company in the nation. Hmmmmm...they MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT! (Happy 50th Anniversary!)  ;D  :D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:15 AM »
Thanks for posting that.  I love White Water! :)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
We went to Whitewater in OKC a couple of times when I was in high school.  Dad had a company picnic there around '83.  I'd say it was an average waterpark, but I have to admit I've not been to many.  There really wasn't much theming - just water slides and lifeguards.  The park is right on I-40 and an embankment had to be quickly constructed to partially obstruct the view of bikinis from the highway - too distracting for some people, I'm not sure why  ;).

You already know that it was bought and combined with Frontier City.  The name changed to White Water Bay (really creative, huh?).  I don't think much has changed over the years other than a couple of new paint jobs on the slides and tubes.  The main tower now boasts three primary-colored slides - the same ones from the first years, just with new colors.  Wouldn't it be cool if the water was the same color and when it reached the pool at the bottom it mixed to form the secondary colors?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 08:33:22 AM »
I would love to see any photos or brochures or promotional material for the other Whitewaters, too. Anybody got anything good out there you could post?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »
Just when I think Junior can't possibly dig up any more historical artifacts he pulls another one out of a hat! :D

If White Water opened in 1980 then that makes how many Herschend attractions that are celebrating an anniversary this year? Wow!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:33:44 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:57:16 AM »
Gary Snadon, who owns Shepherd of the Hills today, was a real estate developer in 1980. I went to high school in Branson with his daughter Shawna. Gary and his wife sponsored a Branson High School Class Trip to Whitewater in Spring of '80, right before we all graduated. We were some of the first people to enjoy the park before it opened to the general public. It was a great day!