Author Topic: Opening Day March 18th...  (Read 45619 times)

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
Re: Opening Day March 18th...
« Reply #165 on: March 21, 2010, 01:23:30 PM »
Hey, got a pic of me as ralphie bolin. I did some research on the real Alf Bolin, and that's as close within our guidelines that I could get.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 21, 2010, 06:45:06 PM »
I made it down yesterday, and today, and had a great time despite the cold rainy/snowy weather. Yesterday there were 1,700 in the park and Today was probably one of the best times I have EVER had at the park. We arrived about 9:30 to 5 cars on the lot TOTAL!!! We had a bus to ourselves to the entrance, and once inside...we were 2 of the total of 47 that were at the park. after about 2 hours of talking with every worker (nearly atleast)  and doing a few laps of the place, we headed home. Every worker was amazing. They came out to talk to us, joked about how great we were to be at the park on a day like this=30 degrees, sleeting/raining mix.They offered us discounted items, told us little secrets about the place (like a backstage tour almost!) Got big pieces of warm black walnut brittle from Judy (you know it is good when they are spreading the brittle, and just pull off a big hunk and hand it to you!) A nice blanket of slush was on everything. the corkscrew pass was closed to avoid any falls/slips. Train at that time was not running, many food/snacks were not going, no rides were open. But it was still the park to ourselves, at times it was like the dreams I have where I am the only one left and I am in SDC! There were 4 cars when we left! It did clear up some later in the day, so I am sure they got a bit busier. I will never forget the time we had today! Pictures to come soon....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:11:38 PM by rubedugans »

sdcforever

« Reply #167 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »
^Wow!  That's my version of a perfect day at SDC too!  Wish I could've been there with you, rube. :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 21, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Rube, I'm glad you had that experience. I do remember on fall weekdays when it was very slow we employees were more apt to spend much more time visiting and talking with guests. It broke up the day for us. We felt like we threw a party and nobody came, somedays! It is a much more relaxed and enjoyable pace, but I'm sorry all the attractions were not open. It would have been great to have the flooded mine or train or fire in the hole all to yourself to ride as many times around as you wanted. If you want a backstage tour and I'm around...I'll slink around with you until we get caught!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 21, 2010, 07:37:18 PM »
SteamFreak, you were a GREAT Ralphie! I really enjoyed the skit.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
They came out to talk to us, joked about how great we were to be at the park on a day like this=30 degrees, sleeting/raining mix.
I can't figure out why so few people were there.  What you described is a pleasant spring day here in South Dakota!  ;D
 What a great opportunity.  It does sound like a real dream visit. 
In His grip!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2010, 07:53:29 PM »
The falls were not on yesterday Junior, and I was very tempted to walk on back there!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #172 on: March 21, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
You might as well have walked back there. What is the worst anyone could say? Don't? By the time someone spoke up, you would have been over half way across.

I'm just teasing of course. :D
I'm glad you had a really great time, and keep the adventure going. :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 08:27:45 PM by Ozark BBQ »