Author Topic: Opening Day March 18th...  (Read 45623 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Opening Day March 18th...
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 04:25:07 PM »
The Saloon Show didn't open until World Fest last year.
The shops up by Powder Keg will be closed until World Fest and a few others around Midtown and down TNT way.
SWOOSH

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:44 PM »
Is this because of the size of their workforce before the summer arrives?  Don't get me wrong, I love going in early spring and enjoying the park when it's mostly empty...but I have always been curious as to why it seems like half the park is still dormant early on.

sdcforever

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 05:11:23 PM »
^Yes, most of their seasonal workforce doesn't arrive until April/May.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
To be honest last season SDC was being extremely cautious and they opened stores according to their sales history. Certain shops don’t see high traffic during the Family Spring Break Days and early spring, so they decided to leave them closed during that time last season to help save on labor cost ect. I have not heard how they are going to do it this season. When I do I will let you know!

sdcforever

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
^That approach makes a lot of sense.  I wouldn't blame SDC if they did that again this year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:53 PM »
I don't blame them, but it is still poor show.
You can't spend money in a shop that is closed.
SWOOSH

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
If I hadn't had a season pass and had paid full admission, I would have been extremely upset and probably had lodged a serious complaint.  If they are not going to have the park completely open on "opening day" then maybe they need to adjust the admission price.  Weather is one thing.....just not opening an attraction, show or shop is entirely another.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 10:00:18 AM »
I remember when the park didn't open until the first day of World Fest in April. To be honest, I think they ought to go back to that. For the most part, any new rides are either not finished or it's too cold to open them in March. Several shops stay closed, and then they always underestimate the attendance numbers, so food supplies run out, etc.

And then, it's usually just too darned cold in March to really enjoy anything.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 02:15:51 PM »
Love Spring Break Days..  Glad they open early..   Love Branson and SDC so much I am looking at 2 different homes to buy when I am there.  Not moving there but just thinking about buying a small vacation house.  I spent over $800 last year just on the motel.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 08:10:54 PM »
I don't mind spring break days.  We went one year.  It was a little chilly, though.  I remember my legs freezing on the flying swings, but I was wearing capris. 

I might be disappointed in the shops being closed if that was the only day of the season I'd planned to go.  Honestly, the day we went, I don't remember missing anything.  I know I didn't ride any wet rides.  It was just a spur of the moment idea.  We just went for the day that day.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 09:01:40 PM »
The one time we went to Family Spring Break days we practically had the park to ourself. I remember being in the square and it being us and a citizen as the only people to be seen. So I enjoyed it, but I can't imagine them making much of a profit if most days are like that and not all the shops are open.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2010, 09:39:05 AM »
It seems to me that the majority of the employees are older, so I cant imagine it is for a lack of coverage to open all the venues.  I'm sure it is purely a dollar and cents decision for such a delay.  Delaying the shipment of merchandise, not to mention to parishables that some of the stores carry, means any payment for that merchandise will not come due to later in the season when revenues are rolling in.  I work retail and we wait for delivery of seasonal merchandise as late as we possibly can to push payment to later in that season when the product is selling faster.

I have no problem with a "soft" opening for the season.  It just seems to me that a lower admission price would be appreciated by the patrons during that time.  I sure it would be rewarded with higher repeat attendance by those later in the season.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »
Do we know if Spring Break Days is attended mostly by Season Pass holders?  If so, maybe it could be spun as a perk for SP holders - have a limited opening only for SP holders during that time, and just figure most of your money is going to be made on a few trinkets and food.

Perhaps this is a training time for new employees and a time older employees can count on to extend their income.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
Oooo... That's an interesting idea!

orient express

• Jr. Citizen
  • here's a barrel of laughs hahahahaha
    • View Profile