Author Topic: clarksville Sky Lift  (Read 3638 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
clarksville Sky Lift
« on: January 19, 2010, 08:03:22 AM »
The Clarksville Sky Lift at Clarksville, MO was opened in 1962. It's located halfway between St. Louis and Hannibal, MO. Clarksville sits right on the Mississippi River, and the sky lift goes up to the top of a huge mountain. The ride up is breathtaking. At the top, a four story tower offered sweeping views of the river and surrounding territory. A small amusement area with a "gravity house" (similar to Grandfather's Mansion at SDC) concessions, gift shop, and so on, was available. The sky lift was advertised heavily on St. Louis television in the 60's and early 70's. The skylift fell upon hard times, and closed, I think, in the mid-80's. An effort has been underway to reopen the attraction in recent years. From what I can tell from photos on the City of Clarksville web page, the attraction was upgraded over the years, but apparently is still closed. Does anyone have memories of visiting the Clarksville Skylift? If you check the City of Clarksville website, you will see several beautiful shots of the area around the little town, the skylift, the tower, and the river.  Go to  your search engine and type in "Clarksville Skylift" and you will be able to find out more about this old attraction.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"