Author Topic: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride  (Read 47565 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 09:42:32 AM »
I've already graduated.  I have dibs on the Creative Consultant position.

Do you think they would listen to Andy today?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 10:30:03 AM »
howabout a co-Andy job between us? I can be a might creative!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
I think back to being a boy of 8-9 and waiting to get on the float trip till I had my own boat ( slow day)
It was fascinating to a young guy like me and at that age very disorienting because I couldn't tell how far back in the woods I was really going.

Some time my Mom had a meeting in the offices after the park closed so they told me to go play in the tom sawyer play ground.  When I went back into the park there was nobody there but some guys opn a john deer witha   trailer picking up the bags from those trashcans all over.
Well, I knew something else besides the playground I wanted to play in.  I went to where the bridge crossed the trip and explored back in the woods, that was the first time I realised the rocks were nothing but heavy mesh and concrete. ( Fascinating). It seems like the cave was really just a network of shabby buildings that I don't think I was brave enough to go into.

The big waterfall was back there as well, man what a neat looking prop, I thought that I had the biggest secret back then.

I would love to see a drawing of the track path.  Now that I am much much older I see how close it came to the powderkeg Fire in the hole area. It didn't seem close to anything back then.
That was really a magical trip back to the woods for a 9 year old.  I remember the cheesy elf's in the cave, that was a little off topic but.

I would love to go check out the track again, its a shame they let it go unused and didn't incorporate the entire thing into the plunge.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Having been an employee at the float trip, I seem to remember the original cave was made out of plywood and the rocks were just put at the entrance and exit to make it look like a cave. But you're right, from above, it almost did look like it was made from shabby little buildings. I remember that heavy black plastic was used at points, probably for waterproofing and to prevent light leaks, but it was there and did a good job from 1969 through the mid or late 80's or so whenever it was deemed too old to use anymore and was replaced. It's just too bad the cave there now is not "decorated" better. I think they cut too many corners to build it, and it is rather bland. The pumps for the ride were hidden behind the fake rocks, too. It was funny to go out in the fall and scrape leaves off the filters in front of the pumps, and to suddenly "pop up" from behind a rock as a boat passed by. I scared many a person doing that. After a big scream, everybody laughed til their sides split.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
Among my collection of books about the Ozarks I found a great little book titled "Fish Tales and Scales" by Jean Elizabeth Ford. Her dad was Mitch Ford, one of the river guides for Jim Owens' Boat Line in Branson. Of course, the float trip ride that existed at SDC from 1969-1980 was named in honor of Owens. If you look under my Flickr site, you will see a photo of the grand opening of the float trip ride in 1969 taken from the book, with a big group shot of many former Jim Owens employees. They are standing in front of the float trip mill that is now part of the American Plunge atmosphering. I think you will enjoy the photo. The Flickr account is listed in one of my entries toward the beginning of this thread.

"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
HB I think there is room for two! 

Do you think they would listen to Andy today?
I think that the "corporate" minded people would have trouble listening and trusting Andy. The place is unique because of unique people, they just don't understand that.

It was fascinating to a young guy like me and at that age very disorienting because I couldn't tell how far back in the woods I was really going.
Great story. Before Wildfire was built I always wanted to go back there and look around, one Christmas Season my sister and I worked up the courage and did it. It was pretty creepy and fun!

UNI Prof

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 12:48:00 AM »
Great thread.  I always swore to people that the plunge used to be a different ride (without the actual plunge at the end).  The outhouse was a part of the plunge early on, as was the cave, and drowning guy.  Thanks for making me feel a little more sane regarding my early childhood memories.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 11:04:56 AM »
Sorry, the outhouse was not part of the original American Plunge. That part of the channel was not utilized for the boats. Outhouse was part of the float trip only.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
I'm muddled on this one, but I'm pretty sure there is a feature on the current ride that used to be the outhouse.  I can't even tell you what the current thing is though:  it's overhead on the left side of the boat, and I think it's just before the whirlpool.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
There might be an outhouse along the route now, but it is not original to the plunge circa 1981. I hope they have put a "falling outhouse" along the route like the one that was at the float trip...it was a classic...a highlight of the float trip the entire run, 1969-1980.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 06:39:48 PM »
I'm muddled on this one, but I'm pretty sure there is a feature on the current ride that used to be the outhouse.  I can't even tell you what the current thing is though:  it's overhead on the left side of the boat, and I think it's just before the whirlpool.

There was a falling outhouse on the ride when I was in middle school (late 1980s), complete with a man's voice that said "Oh no!" as the door fell open.  I know this because my friends and I always said the "oh no" with the voice.  I believe the outhouse was replaced by the guy in the "flying machine" effect that follows a little track.  I haven't ridden this ride in a couple of years (pregnant last summer and haven't been in the summertime yet this year), so I'm not sure what currently happens at that location.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:48:49 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »
I'm muddled on this one, but I'm pretty sure there is a feature on the current ride that used to be the outhouse.  I can't even tell you what the current thing is though:  it's overhead on the left side of the boat, and I think it's just before the whirlpool.

There was a falling outhouse on the ride when I was in middle school (late 1980s), complete with a man's voice that said "Oh no!" as the door fell open.  I know this because my friends and I always said the "oh no" with the voice.  I believe the outhouse was replaced by the guy in the "flying machine" effect that follows a little track.  I haven't ridden this ride in a couple of years (pregnant last summer and haven't been in the summertime yet this year), so I'm not sure what currently happens at that location.

Exactly what I am talking about.  The flying machine contraption just doesn't have the same ambiance as the outhouse did.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 11:03:42 PM »
Yes, before the Plunge was re-themed Ozarkian Daredevils the ride had an outhouse.  We used to say the “Oh No!” line along with the guy.  Also there was a water jet that would shoot up to give the elusion of the man falling into the water and you would get splashed.  This was so funny; it’s ashamed they took it out. BOO! 

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 11:19:21 AM »
I think the "Oh no" guy was there past the late-80s.  Does anyone know when the ride was re-themed?   

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
I thought the point of the ride was always that "We can do things together."  Have the daredevils not been a part of that from the beginning?  Mayhaps the queue was themed this way before the ride elements?