Author Topic: Hee Haw Theater  (Read 26182 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: Hee Haw Theater
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:58 PM »
Nice to have you check in Capt. Joe! Gosh, it's only been about 29 years since we have had a conversation! Email or the forums is a "modern" way to communicate that was not available in the old days! How have you been? (If you are not using a false Internet cover name, than you are the former sound and light engineer of Hee Haw Theater!) Remember Lew, who proceeded you for most of the 1981 season? He has been in contact with me in the last year or so. Tom is alive and well in the Fayetteville area! I'm sure you have read the previous posts on this forum, though! I'm going to send you a private message, and I hope you will respond. I make it to Branson from time to time, and it would be nice to visit with  you! To all those visiting the forums, if Capt. Joe would tell us some of his stories about the old days in Branson, you would see very quickly the stories I've told here over the last couple of years pale in comparison to anything he relays! Capt. Joe's parents used to own Ye Olde English Inn in Hollister, and Joe has a long, rich history with the Branson entertainment industry. We call him "Captain" Joe because he was a captain on the Lake Queen that used to ply the waters of Lake Taneycomo. HOPE to visit with you more in the near future! Thanks for checking in, Joe! -JUNIOR  (Also known formerly as "Captain Concession" of Hee Haw Theater!)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Captain_Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 09:54:57 AM »
No, “Captain Joe” isn’t a false or Internet cover name, it’s really me.  :)

Yes, I remember Lew, and Tom, and the other great folks involved with the Hee Haw Theatre.  It was a special time in my life filled with fellowship, pleasure, fun and pride, a period I hope I won’t repeat! (grin)

I can share tales of the Theatre, and often do.  But I’m afraid I can’t speak of any events I wouldn’t tell my fgf’s (favorite girl friend) eight year-old son or the older ladies at church!  Some flashes of memories are best reserved for those moments of reflection, when others wonder why a sneaky smile mysteriously and momentarily appears across ones face. Many of those thoughts are worth more than a penny!

After Hee Haw, I went to work with David Straub at the Ozark Mountain Amphitheatre as the house Monitor man.  A few years later, my wife decided to upgrade and gave me the boot;  I became a full time single parent and quickly learned 15 towels in the washer wasn’t “dry cleaning.”   I never remarried, but instead bought a front load washer that will do 15 towels!   

For many, many years I coached youth sports, boys baseball and girls softball so that and the music era makes for an interesting adventure during my annual trip to the Walmart.  From some aisles come “Hi Captain Joe” and from others “Hi Coach Joe,” I suppose I should be content I never became a cop, “Officer Joe” has too many syllables.

I best get moving, I have a thirty-minute “date” with a wonderful gal most of us know, she’s been cutting my hair since 1975, though for the past ten+ years I (finally) agreed to let her cut it the way she wants to, I no longer look like I’m left over from the 60’s.  (That would be –0060’s, the cave man days!)

:) joe

(I'll reply to the PM after my "beautification" session)
I'm just as useless as I ever was...   :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
Well...it WAS Capt. Joe from Hee Haw Theater that has visited with us on the forums! It was good to "catch up" with him here, and he was kind enough to send me a private message, and I've sent one to him. Perhaps he will check in with us from time to time. Like I said in another post, he has a long history in the Branson entertainment world...and would have many interesting stories to tell of that period of time from the mid-70s through at least the mid to late 80s when Branson was going from "mom and pop" owned music shows like Presleys and Baldknobbers, Bob-O-Links, and others, to the beginning of the "stars" era with Hee Haw Theater and Roy Clark Theater. Good to hear from you, Joe! ;D
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »
I was sad to see that George Lindsey, who played "Goober" on both The Andy Griffith Show and Hee Haw, has passed away. I met George when he appeared at the Hee Haw Theater in Branson in 1981. He did a Las Vegas stand up comedy bit, which surprised me. I figured it would be "Goober" all the way, but it was not. He joins The Hager Twins, grady Nutt, Grandpa Jones, Archie Campbell, Kenny Price, all other Hee Haw veteran performers who did shows in Branson, who have passed on. George was one of those actors who was typecast as "Goober," if you get a chance to see some early Twilight Zone episodes, or MASH, or Gunsmoke, you will catch a few performances by George, and he was a pretty good actor. Also he was in some Disney films, doing voice work, like The Aristocats. Last saw George perform on a Larry the Cable Guy Christmas show where he played Larry's grandpa in a sketch or two, and he was pretty funny. Funeral arrangements are pending. God be with you George! I know when you rejoin some of your Hee Haw buddies above, it will be a joke cracking, funny time in Heaven. Check out the Hee Haw Theater photos posted. There is a set of photos you can look at and enjoy. http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:05:33 PM by Junior »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 10:08:21 PM »
I have created a "Hee Haw Theater" page on Facebook. All you have to do is type in Hee Haw Theater when you are on Facebook, and it should pop right up. It contains a brief history of the theater, and several photos of the stars who appeared there, as well as some scans of promotional material from the theater. Hope you enjoy it!  :D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »
A reminder for all my sdcfans.com friends. Check out the Hee Haw Theater page I've created on Facebook as a tribute to the old Branson area theater. "Like" please...I'd sure appreciate it. Hope you do indeed like what you see. A big Hee Haw Saloot!

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
Junior, In the last pic bobber posted on filckr shows the showing the parking lot and 76, what is the theater across the street? Looks like it says "Lowe's" on the the sign but I can't tell for sure. Is that about where Jim Stafford is now?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2013, 02:07:04 PM »
Good eye! Yes, it is now Jim Stafford's place.  :)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
Since last posting here, several people connected to Hee Haw Theater have passed on. TV show cast members Jim and Jon Hager, Gordy Tapp, and sadly, the theater manager, Tom Lutz, who had a 15 year career in showbiz as an actor on Gunsmoke and Bonanza, a writer for comedy greats Jonathan Winters, Bob Hope, the Smothers Brothers, and a cue card guy and writer on Hee Haw, died. Tom was my boss at the theater for 3 years, and a great guy and an influence in my younger days.After the Hee Haw Theater went bust in October of 83, Tom left showbiz and partnered with some friends and had ownership in a BBQ joint in Fayetteville, AR, he later built or remodeled houses, and drilled oil wells in western Kansas. His marriage fell apart when the Branson theater failed, but he later remarried a nice gal who was at his side when he died at a hospice in Fayetteville early this spring.cannot say enough nice things about him. He started showbiz as a page at the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. He always told great stories back then about his showbiz experiences, like writing with Jack Burns, a comedy legend, working on Bonanza as a supporting actor, and, funny behind the scenes stories about working on the Hee Haw set. Anyway, God rest his soul, condolences to his family and friends.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »
As of late, I have been busy updating and posting on my. HEE HAW THEATER FB tribute page. Many new photos and comments. Please chech it out and like it, share photos, too. I have been in private contact with family members of George Lindsey and Grady Nutt, as well as Roni Stoneman, Lulu Roman, Buck Trent, and Misty Rowe. I have encouraged them to post on the page, and have been delighted to see Misty and Lulu both have! So visit the page and see what is new...the theater operated in Branson 1981 to 1983.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Grady Nut?? I didn't realize he was involved with Hee Haw.  My dad loved him!  I remember the family sitting around listening to tapes of Grady when I was little.  I've never seen my dad laugh so hard as he did at those tapes.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2017, 09:43:43 PM »
The Terry Sanders connection has blown my mind. I can't believe that guy has been around so long and in so many places. He seems a lot younger in person.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2017, 10:08:41 PM »
The Terry Sanders connection has blown my mind. I can't believe that guy has been around so long and in so many places. He seems a lot younger in person.
    I agree!  Had no idea!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 10:17:10 AM »
Terry Sanders is amazing... all he does for his fans and family..   

I truly believe He works 8 days a week, 30 hours a day