General Category > Branson Talk

Hee Haw Theater

(1/9) > >>

Junior:
Does anyone remember the Hee Haw Theater in Branson from 1981-1983? It was a showcase for the Hee Haw TV Stars. I worked there almost the entire time it existed. (Concession stand, parking lot, ect.) Got to meet all the old Hee Haw TV stars that showcased their act there. My boss was Tom Lutz, a writer for the TV Show. He was an interesting guy who started his show biz career as  a page at the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Later Tom went on to write comedy for Bob Hope and Jonathan Winters, started with Hee Haw in 1969 as a cue card guy, and became a writer on Hee Haw from 1970-1981. Tom lived in a house at Shell Knob, MO designed by noted Arkansas Architect
E. Fay Jones. (Jones studied under Frank Lloyd Wright) Some of the house band members at Hee Haw still perform in Branson. Jim Ingall has been a drummer for Jim Stafford. Gary Myers is a talented guitarist who has worked for several shows. Wayne Massengale was a 14 year old kid when he worked at Hee Haw. He later worked at Mutton Hollow and recently has been in the Country Tonite show. His wife Melody works with Buck Trent, who got his start in Branson working at Hee Haw. The present location of the Mickey Gilley Show is where Hee Haw was located. Any memories? I'd like to hear from you if you were an employee there or came by and saw a show!

KBCraig:
I remember it. We saw Misty Rowe and Kenny Price, and maybe Cathy Baker.

Junior:
Misty Rowe, appeared in 1981. Kenny Price, appeared many, many times 81-83. Ms. Baker never did perform there, she may have come by for a visit, but I don't remember. One "star" that did come by on a night I took off was Leslie Neilson, the guy in the Airplane! and Police Squad! comedy films. I regretted missing him, as Airplane! was a huge hit film during the time I worked at Hee Haw. Neilson came by one night to sit backstage and watch the show with my boss, Tom Lutz. I don't know if he  popped on stage to wave to the crowd, but I know he did not perform. One Hee Haw star that came by to see a show but did not perform was Gaylord Sartain. He later went on to be in a string of hit movies like Fried Green Tomatoes (The husband of Kathy Bates), The Outsiders (Guy at Hospital who told Ralph Macchio not to smoke), Mississippi Burning (Sheriff) and many more. He turned out to be a fabulous dramatic actor.

KBCraig:
Yeah, I was unsure about Cathy Baker, but I was impressed that Misty Rowe was a good singer, not just a busty bimbo babe. Kenny Price had always been one of my favorites because I fancied myself a gospel quartet bass singer. One of the funniest lines I ever heard was when he said he weighed 12 pounds at birth, and "...it took my momma six months to get over it. Of course, my daddy said she never did get over it."

;D ;D ;D

Junior:
I have added photos of my days at the Hee Haw Theater in Branson to my Flickr account. You can find both the Hee Haw photos and the diving bell photos at the following address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Not much has been written about the Hee Haw Theater (1981-1983) in Branson, so I hope you like what's been posted here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version