Author Topic: Hee Haw Theater  (Read 26319 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Hee Haw Theater
« on: January 07, 2010, 08:54:05 PM »
Does anyone remember the Hee Haw Theater in Branson from 1981-1983? It was a showcase for the Hee Haw TV Stars. I worked there almost the entire time it existed. (Concession stand, parking lot, ect.) Got to meet all the old Hee Haw TV stars that showcased their act there. My boss was Tom Lutz, a writer for the TV Show. He was an interesting guy who started his show biz career as  a page at the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Later Tom went on to write comedy for Bob Hope and Jonathan Winters, started with Hee Haw in 1969 as a cue card guy, and became a writer on Hee Haw from 1970-1981. Tom lived in a house at Shell Knob, MO designed by noted Arkansas Architect
E. Fay Jones. (Jones studied under Frank Lloyd Wright) Some of the house band members at Hee Haw still perform in Branson. Jim Ingall has been a drummer for Jim Stafford. Gary Myers is a talented guitarist who has worked for several shows. Wayne Massengale was a 14 year old kid when he worked at Hee Haw. He later worked at Mutton Hollow and recently has been in the Country Tonite show. His wife Melody works with Buck Trent, who got his start in Branson working at Hee Haw. The present location of the Mickey Gilley Show is where Hee Haw was located. Any memories? I'd like to hear from you if you were an employee there or came by and saw a show!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Hee Haw Theater
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 03:18:56 AM »
I remember it. We saw Misty Rowe and Kenny Price, and maybe Cathy Baker.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:16:58 PM »
Misty Rowe, appeared in 1981. Kenny Price, appeared many, many times 81-83. Ms. Baker never did perform there, she may have come by for a visit, but I don't remember. One "star" that did come by on a night I took off was Leslie Neilson, the guy in the Airplane! and Police Squad! comedy films. I regretted missing him, as Airplane! was a huge hit film during the time I worked at Hee Haw. Neilson came by one night to sit backstage and watch the show with my boss, Tom Lutz. I don't know if he  popped on stage to wave to the crowd, but I know he did not perform. One Hee Haw star that came by to see a show but did not perform was Gaylord Sartain. He later went on to be in a string of hit movies like Fried Green Tomatoes (The husband of Kathy Bates), The Outsiders (Guy at Hospital who told Ralph Macchio not to smoke), Mississippi Burning (Sheriff) and many more. He turned out to be a fabulous dramatic actor.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 03:12:35 PM »
Yeah, I was unsure about Cathy Baker, but I was impressed that Misty Rowe was a good singer, not just a busty bimbo babe. Kenny Price had always been one of my favorites because I fancied myself a gospel quartet bass singer. One of the funniest lines I ever heard was when he said he weighed 12 pounds at birth, and "...it took my momma six months to get over it. Of course, my daddy said she never did get over it."

;D ;D ;D

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
I have added photos of my days at the Hee Haw Theater in Branson to my Flickr account. You can find both the Hee Haw photos and the diving bell photos at the following address:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juniordugan

Not much has been written about the Hee Haw Theater (1981-1983) in Branson, so I hope you like what's been posted here.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »
I have added photos of the Jim Owens' Float Trip Ride to the Flickr account. Enjoy the new shots!

adairmd

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:31:05 PM »
I remember the Hee Haw Theater.  I remember seeing the Hagar Twins.  Thanks for all the pictures!

Lewjack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
My name is Lew Wright. I went to School with Tom Lutz and was connected with the
Theatre During the summer of 1980. Does any one know if he is still alive?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48:02 AM »
Hello Lew:  Well, I suppose if you read the postings on this thread from the top down you probably still don't remember me...but, well, I guess it's only been 30 years since we've spoken! (Ha!) I was the 19 year old college kid working in the concession stand at Hee Haw Theater in Branson back in 1981 when you ran the sound and light boards, and your wife took tickets and seated theater patrons. Of course, during intermission, she would help me out in the concession. Good to see your above post! Good news, Tom Lutz is alive and well and living in northwest Arkansas. He only lives about 45 minutes away from my front door. I have not spoken to Tom in several months, but I do have his address and phone number if you are interested, I am sure he would like to hear from you! By the way, if you would like to see some old photos from the Hee Haw Theater days, go to the posting above with the Flickr address and go all the way back to the last two or three pages. Several old shots there. If you want to contact Tom, send me a private message and I will get back with you ASAP. Hope you and your family are well! -Mark (JUNIOR here at SDCfans.com) :)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »
Since Lew was kind enough to drop in on us at SDCfans, I added ten additional photos to my Flickr site that he...and you...will enjoy. If you only have dim memories of this old, "lost" Branson theater, (or maybe no memories of it at all!) I hope you like the newly posted photos.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
I never went to the Hee Haw Theater, however, one of my dad's and my favorite shows was the Roy Clark show when he had his theater...We also enjoyed Box Car Willie...One time while at the Box Car Willie show, the power went dead and the emergency lights came on...Box Car gave everyone in the theater a free pop from the concession stand...
Colorado SDC Fan

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »
One of the things I always found interesting was that Roy Clark was asked to perform at the Hee Haw Theater, but he never did. The theater was owned by the folks who produced the TV show. Instead, Clark partnered with a local businessman and built  his own theater two years later...right next door to Hee Haw Theater! In his autobiography George "Goober" Lindsey said Hee Haw Theater was ten years before it's time. As far as I know, Roy Clark never even mentioned Hee Haw Theater in his autobiography. Then, when the Hee Haw Theater went bust in 1983, Clark and his partner purchased it, and called it "Roy Clark's Ozark Hee Haw" in 1984! A decline in revenue and management issues allegedly were at the heart of the closing of the theater. Roy Clark is credited with being the first celebrity to own and perform in his own Branson Theater. However, I'd like to point out that my boss, Hee Haw TV show writer Tom Lutz, was there two years before Clark, and was the first to book nationally known music and comedy performers, all Hee Haw TV show stars, for each and every performance, as well as experiment with off season shows, and even scheduled the first Christmas shows...all in 1981. Of the off season shows, only three performances were held...Grandpa Jones was the headliner, and played to a house that averaged 30 patrons per night! The rest of the off season shows were dumped, as well as the scheduled Christmas shows. However, the attempt was made. I believe Tom and his idea for the Hee Haw Theater WAS ten years ahead of their time. I believe that Tom had a vision of the future of Branson entertainment and tried, unsucessfully, to bring it to full fruition. Tom Lutz and his work are an overlooked chapter in the history of the Branson entertainment industry. I hope this little post helps to set the record straight.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
For those of us in OKC that need our fix till we get to Branson again

http://okhc.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=104&Itemid=130

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 11:36:26 AM »
It looks like a fun exhibit.  :)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »
yeah, and the $7 to get in helps me save up for the next SDC trip :)