Author Topic: Jessie James Territory  (Read 35789 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie James Territory
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 04:33:45 PM »
*sigh, no luck, anywhere. I am going to keep trying though. I am off to the Jesse James Wax Museum in a week or two, and I will see what they remember of the place...I will keep at it Junior!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2010, 05:10:17 PM »
Alright! :D There is somebody in the town who can help you get there! Good luck!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
I did a pretty careful Google Satellite recon of the area north and west of the highway. I was trained in satellite recon, and I'm pretty good at spotting what used to be, as well at what is.

I couldn't find a hint of anything as it's been described. Yes, things change over time, but unless an area has been completely bulldozed and redeveloped, lots of clues remain. I couldn't find any, so perhaps Jesse James Territory now lies under some of those commercial buildings.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 07:07:05 AM »
It's possible. As you may have seen in the one photo I posted, the entry area was right on old Route 66. The short train ride to the town square was maybe a couple hundred feet from the roadway, and the town square itself, well, I seem to remember the backs of the buildings on the side closest to the highway were probably just a couple hundred feet or so from Route 66, too. Just slightly to the east of the ticket booth and parking area. So many years have passed, what was there might be gone or has been redeveloped.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »
I did a Google search like KBCraig, and could not find a trace of JJT. It looks like the area of Sullivan north and west of I-44 has been extensively developed since the late 70's, early 80's. I'm talking businesses, schools, and housing developments. This search may be harder than I thought. However, I still have faith that if you talk to some of the older people in town who have lived there since the 60s or 70s, they will be able to give you a location. Again, good luck!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Hey Rube, wanted to check and see if you had any luck on your last swing through Sullivan at finding any traces of Jesse James Territory? If you did, post some photos, please! :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »
Inclement weather did not allow a return trip but the summer is still early! You'll be the first to hear Junior.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2010, 11:55:13 AM »
OK! Sounds good! ;)

colinzimmermann

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
To solve some of the confusion regarding the Jesse James Territory Theme Park in Sullivan, MO it's former location is a large empty field at the intersection of State Highway WW and the North Service Road bordering I-44, I live about 200 yards from the location and all traces have been wiped out but anyone interested in seeing the location can feel free to contact me at 573-468-3083 or colinzimmermann@gmail.com, My name is Colin Zimmermann.  Hope this helps.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 11:26:59 AM »
Welcome to the site! Thanks so much for the closure Colin. Having driven by there thousands of times, Inow will look for it when I am out there next. Junior check it out on Google Earth or a similar site and see if that rings true with your memories

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2010, 08:26:21 AM »
Well...that clears a lot up. I'm sorry none of it exisits anymore. I'd love to see those old building that were on the town square area. I do remember getting reports from my cousin who played the undertaker there that the place was terribly vandalized in the later 70s. The town has grown, and it does not surprise me what was there has been cleared away. It was a fun little roadside attraction that I will always remember fondly from my  youth.

Avalanche04

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
Wow very nice photos of the old park. i remember the park but never visited it, and i only live 15 min away, and still do lol. anyway sorry for the loss of those photos junior, I'm sure they would have brought back a lot of good memories, also I'm not sure if you live in the area still junior but the old chain of rocks bridge is still standing infact its part of a walking trail now and you can walk or ride your bike acrossed the bridge. And as you probably are ready know its part of the historic Rt 66.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 10:56:12 AM »
The loss of those photos all these years later still bothers me. Mid to late 60s photos of family vacations at places like Jessie James Territorry, Chain of Rocks school picnics, Six Flags over Mid America, and my first trip to SDC in 1970. All those photos are gone, but memories live on.

mlmt

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2012, 08:55:08 PM »
ChaseCo Rentals sits where Jesse James Territory was.  My dad was a sign painter in Sullivan and did all the art and painting out there.  It seems like a family by the name of Hahn from St. Louis built the little amusement park.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 08:18:19 AM »
It has been a while since this topic was active, but I was wondering if any of the members of this site remember Jesse James Territory? It was right off the interstate at Sullivan, as you can see from looking back at the old posts here. Tiff, you live in the vicinity, don't you? What do your parents or grandparents remember about this little theme park...more of a roadside attraction, really. How come there isn't much information available about it? I have even cruised the Sullivan city and chamber of commerce websites, and there is no mention of it. Seems strange to me, as this was a pretty big area attraction in the late 60s and early to mid 70s.