Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337100 times)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #1125 on: March 15, 2011, 05:21:54 PM »
Ya know fellas, I think HDH will be OK.  It's compact, by design, to allow parents to keep an eye on their kids without actually having to hold their hands, yet it doesn't seem crammed.  I really think it blends in as well as Tom Sawyers Landing did, or the Tree House, or any number of attractions that have been built over the years.  For those of you who don't think it fits...well it's certainly not nearly as out of place as GG.  That place, IMO, is an absolute eyesore.

And I don't really think the swinging bridge looks out of place there.  To me, it's almost like it serves a purpose again.  Here's why...back when it was first built, it did serve a purpose...that being the way into the park.  Back then, crossing the swinging bridge through a wooded valley seemed a viable "time tunnel" taking one a hundred years back in time.  But as the city grew around it, it more or less just became a "lost" pathway.  You guys may have found enjoyment in the "peaceful" nature of the woods as you crossed it, but in truth, not that many people walk across it or even realize its there anymore.  And most of those that do take advantage of it, do so only for the bouncy effect it affords...it's only a "fun" way to get from here to there, and not even a "shortcut" really.  What I'm saying is that the "peace of the woods" that some of you have mentioned is largely lost on the majority of our guests.  But...I think, with the new setting around it, new life has been given the swinging bridge as people will be able to gaze down from it right into the heart of HDH.

I know that HDH will not be the favorite place of a lot of you, but my grandkids will enjoy the heck out of it...and we'll have a great time watching them.  It's not just the "kiddie ride," it's the whole experience of running around through the structures and nets.  I think it will beat GE hands down.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 15, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »
Great point Zephon...I'm so getting SDC fever...Come on June...I know my four boys will love HDH...
Colorado SDC Fan

pintrader

« Reply #1127 on: March 15, 2011, 05:45:52 PM »
Okay Zephon, you've sold me!  You would make a good real estate agent.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 15, 2011, 05:49:45 PM »
 :)
Colorado SDC Fan

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #1129 on: March 15, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
It will look fine with the surrounding structures (other than the Li'l Swings - henceforth, the LS - for reasons already stated).  SDC is about all kinds of buildings built at angles other than 90 degrees in relationship to one another.  I think once people are in the area, they will be able to look up at the "real" buildings and feel as if they are "down the rabbit hole" like Alice.  I worry that Swoosh will get his way, but I think more rides ruins the purpose of HDH - a one-entrance, small-people place where some parents will drop their young'ns and then hang out at the exit to make sure they don't escape.  Too many unsupervised children may crawl over each other to be first in ride lines and cause safety issues for the operators, but with the limited rides (2) parents will be more apt to supervise them.

In short, this area needs to remain quaint and serene, and please do not pipe in music from Nick Jr.!!!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1130 on: March 15, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
I think it will beat GE hands down.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.  GE is designed for the entire spectrum of the family whereas HDH is a very small specific group.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 15, 2011, 06:02:33 PM »
I worry that Swoosh will get his way, but I think more rides ruins the purpose of HDH - a one-entrance, small-people place where some parents will drop their young'ns and then hang out at the exit to make sure they don't escape.

I've just been in the business too long to know how the PTB think.  I don't see how adding more rides to this area would be any different than the Science area in GE which also has one way in and one way out.
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 15, 2011, 06:43:52 PM »
see??  i had wondered about the fact they only added 2 rides.. unless the treehouses keep the kids very very occupied.? along with the sandboxes.

Has anybody noticed that HDH is actually on the way to GE?  kind of puts the kids stuff in 1 area..  On purpose?  by accident?

I guess we will see this weekend!..

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 15, 2011, 08:52:11 PM »
^^Really?  Because TPTB seemed to think they only need two rides in there.  You said it yourself:

GE is designed for the entire spectrum of the family whereas HDH is a very small specific group.

Besides, the rides themselves are an investment in the labor force, the insurance cost, and more maintenance expenses.  Hopefully, there will be something to offset the cost of this area - the draw of a new area will only attract a limited number of new guests, while the bear-making shop will raise some additional funds.  I think TPTB want to do the minimum necessary to bring in the greatest amount of income possible.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:25 PM »
^^Really?  Because TPTB seemed to think they only need two rides in there THIS YEAR.  You said it yourself:

GE is designed for the entire spectrum of the family whereas HDH is a very small specific group WHICH THE ADDITION OF THE SWINGS CONTINUES TO CATER TO - AS WOULD THE ADDITION OF OTHER SMALL KIDDIE RIDES FROM CC.

FTFY
SWOOSH

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 15, 2011, 11:15:07 PM »
I think it will beat GE hands down.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.  GE is designed for the entire spectrum of the family whereas HDH is a very small specific group.
Yes, you're correct, as far as the rides go.  But still, I think most people see that as a place to let their kids ride rides.  On the other hand, the design of HDH comes much closer to fitting in with the SDC ambiance than GE, which is straight out of any modern day carnival midway.  The inspiration for GE may have come from the 1904 World's Fair, but it fails to capture the feel, IMO.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:19:32 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 16, 2011, 04:36:43 PM »
I knew I could get a spark out of you, Swoosh.

We'll have to agree to disagree there.

Yep.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 16, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
excuse me just a minute: :P     ;D :o ;D :o     LOL!   nuff said!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 18, 2011, 01:15:03 PM »
So any of you who have been to SDC this opening week...Have you seen any adults going in the the new HDH with their kids or have you? Just wondering if adults would be able to go in with their kids.
Colorado SDC Fan

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 18, 2011, 02:28:39 PM »
I have no kids, but I want to see the new stuff! Maybe I can rent a few for the couple minutes to pass through the area! I am short, but not short enough to pass for anything under middle or high school!