Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337129 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #1110 on: March 15, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
ZEPHON!! ,  thanks for the pics!!!!!!. 

I thought KB had posted them and that did make sense to me!!

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 15, 2011, 09:09:52 AM »
I just hope this doesn't lead to the eventual demise of the swinging bridge...I also agree the swings look out of place...for some reason, the location of the employee booth for the swings just drives me crazy in the pictures...maybe once I've seen it in person it won't be so bad...The rest of HDH looks great to me however...Hopefully I'll be able to go through it once with my 3 year old...
Colorado SDC Fan

pintrader

« Reply #1112 on: March 15, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
It is a great addition to the park but it also takes something away from the park.  I guess for some people it will be more of a + and to some a -.  I know SDC is valuable real estate but it sure seems like they are starting to cram a lot of stuff into a small area.  I thought connecting Wildfire and Powderkeg with some sort of walkway and putting HDH somewhere in between would have been a great idea.  Maybe it just wasn't feasible or over budget.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:28 AM »

I thought connecting Wildfire and Powderkeg with some sort of walkway and putting HDH somewhere in between would have been a great idea.
I agree, that would be a great area for a playground.  That ground is relatively flat compared with other areas on the outskirts of the park.  Maybe they will connect those area at some point.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 15, 2011, 12:02:27 PM »
I sure hope the bridge doesn't leave anytime soon! It's a significant attraction in the city and it's not about to come tumbling down due to age. If the bridge were to be taken out, they would have done so during the construction of HDH. Don't ya think?

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 15, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
I've been saying for the past couple of years Wildfire & PK have limited traffic, because of dead ends.  If they connected them, either by a path, or a series of tree top walk-ways, they could add a bunch of craft shops, food, etc., to bring more traffic.  There's NOTHING for kids in those areas, so it would be ideal for, say using the abandoned lines for WF for the balloon ride, which would fit the Doc Harris flying machine stuff...just thoughts... ::)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 15, 2011, 12:37:38 PM »
Any thought that involves the reappearance of the balloon ride is a good thought. I like that idea of having it be one of Doc's creations.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 15, 2011, 12:56:51 PM »
lines for WF for the balloon ride, which would fit the Doc Harris flying machine stuff...just thoughts...
Amen Bruthu.
I did some exploring off the beaten path in SDC when I was a young boy. The ground behind the waterfall is at a good level for building. They would need to hide the back of the falls but thats not a big deal.  I wonder if they dont do this because of the need to build more bathrooms.  It seems to me that SDC uses septic fields in remote areas. At least thats what it smells like, especially near thunderation / echo hollow.
Maybe the cost of septic service for a new area is too high, doesn't perk? it may even have impact on the cave.
I am betting that is a big consideration when they expand a new area.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 15, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
will the swinging bridge be as swingy/bouncy???? What with a building under it now and all.....
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 15, 2011, 02:09:13 PM »
The area between Wildfire and Powderkeg is the last undeveloped area of the park that contains the only original dirt and gravel road left from the stagecoach. I've reported this on other threads before, but when I worked at the float trip (plunge location) the remnant of the stagecoach trail was from the bridge over the plunge channel (that people now cross to go to Wildfire) and the old stagecoach path snaked its way through the area that is now Wildfire, through the woods behind the float trip and lumbercamp, through the area that is now Powderkeg, past the Opera House, and came out at FITH. When I was a young kid, prior to the building of the area from FITH past the saloon, lumbercamp, and Fried Fancies, that was also the stagecoach trail. the restaurant/concession next to what I call Fried Fancies used to be the stagecoach depot. RUBE DUGANS has posted some photos of the old stage depot prior to and after renovation, but I cannot remember on what threads. I think in homage to the stagecoach, they could theme the area between Wildfire and Powderkeg as "Butterfield Trail" or "Stagecoach Lane" or something of that nature, and put up a few old stagecoach signs or something. Sadly, I think all of the stagecoaches were sold off or donated. I think the Ralph Foster Museum at College of the Ozarks has one of the stagecoaches on display.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 15, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Based from the pictures of HDH, there are a few things about the attraction that I don't really like. I don't like the swings at all, especially how you can look down on top of the ride structure, and as a parent of a small child there doesn't look to be a way for me to view or get pictures of my child on the ride. Another part of the attraction I don't care for is the look of the rope play structure, why couldn't it be enclosed in other tree houses, or some other effect.

But I guess the main thing that disappoints me is the choice for the location of this project. From the pictures, I just don't like the way it blends with the rest of the park structures that surround it, and the tree houses just don't seem to fit with the "City".

Hopefully my opinion is proven wrong when I view it in person.

Jay

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 15, 2011, 04:03:40 PM »
n homage to the stagecoach, they could theme the area between Wildfire and Powderkeg as "Butterfield Trail" or "Stagecoach Lane" or something of that nature, and put up a few old stagecoach signs or something.
Thats a great idea.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 15, 2011, 04:05:43 PM »
From the pictures, I just don't like the way it blends with the rest of the park structures that surround it
I side with you on this.
 to quote someone earlier " A little to Dogpatch"

pintrader

« Reply #1123 on: March 15, 2011, 05:10:21 PM »
From the pictures, I just don't like the way it blends with the rest of the park structures that surround it, and the tree houses just don't seem to fit with the "City".

I also have to agree!  I do think it is a good addition to the park but not in that particular area.  I myself just hate to see things change too much in some areas of the park and the swinging bridge is definitely one of those areas.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:12:16 PM by Pintrader »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #1124 on: March 15, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »
I think that if they had included 2 more kiddie rides along with the swings it would have made more sense, but to just have the one random kiddie ride there makes me  ???
SWOOSH