Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339882 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #840 on: December 21, 2010, 04:42:40 PM »
The old log building part of Half Dollar Holler? That building has been where it is since I visited the park the first time in 1970. I don't know the history of the building. Does anyone know if it is a historic building...one that predates SDC, and may have been moved to the park?? Or is the building something built by SDC workers in the early years? It will be interesting to watch and see how it is used!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 21, 2010, 04:51:59 PM »
Are we talking about the old taffy shop across from the depot? I haven't been o SDC since summer, and have yet to see photos of the "wall". I was envisioning more of the area of the smoking section-formerly the outdoor tin typery

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
Are we talking about the old taffy shop across from the depot? I haven't been o SDC since summer, and have yet to see photos of the "wall". I was envisioning more of the area of the smoking section-formerly the outdoor tin typery

Yes, the old taffy shop that is now Becca's Weaving.  She didn't tell me exactly how it would be incorporated into Half-Dollar Holler.  At least it sounds like they won't be tearing it down.  Thank God for that!
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 23, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
probably will turn into some kind of a concession stand, goodies for kids, souviners from HDH...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #844 on: December 23, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
I'm guessing a changing/nursing station considering the target audience of the area. WOF is doing something similar at Planet Snoopy.

Did not take any photos of the area as nothing has changed really --  some posters on the wall now.
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 23, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
The cabin you are talking about was built by SDC and was originally set up as an old inn.  It was called Marmorose Inn and you weren’t really able to go all the way in, but just peer inside.  I think they should put the Taffy Shop back in and put a Basket Shop in the current Taffy Shop location on the square.  Mixing the broom with the baskets wouldn't be a bad idea either. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 24, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »
Thanks for the background on the log building. I seem to kinda sorta remember the Maramos Inn, at least seeing it on old SDC maps. I remember the building primarily as the taffy factory in the 70s and 80s.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 24, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
For a good chunk of the 80's the current Taffy shop was the doll shop.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #848 on: December 24, 2010, 12:24:15 PM »
I think they should put the Taffy Shop back in.

Except doing that would nix the "impulse buying" that they currently have with its current location.  That was one of the main reasons it was moved up there in the first place.
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 24, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »
Even me...an SDC regu;ar, still gives into the Taffy buying upon exiting the park. I always have a stash in my desk at school. It definitely gets more business up front.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 28, 2010, 06:51:39 PM »
I stopped in by Becca's Weaving yesterday, and as others have said, they are moving up the road to the old quilt shop (the current site of the 50th sweepstakes kiosks, and season pass sales-ornament pick-up) to become a part of the Half Dollar Hollar Construction.
http://www.bransonsilverdollarcity.com/rides-attractions/ride_detail.aspx?AttractionID=1419
 It will allow for a much larger space with an area for classes and demonstrations for the existing store. Also the heat/ AC is better in there so that is a good thing for this time of year!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #851 on: January 04, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
It will allow for a much larger space with an area for classes and demonstrations for the existing store. Also the heat/ AC is better in there so that is a good thing for this time of year!

Sounds like a pretty good gig then, and it will hopefully work out well for them. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 05, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
i'm sure it will work great for themk, and whatever they use the building for the kids will be very beneficial i am sure.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #853 on: January 06, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
In the latest edition of the Times they fleshed out all the components of HDH. The area will include exactly:
  • 4 treetop funhouses with climbing and sliding amenities
  • Mini wave swings (One of the kiddie rides from CC?)
  • Sand area
  • Carousel
  • Story telling theatre

It looks like the old Becca's Weaving location will be used for the story telling theatre. It does sound much more oriented to the very young than I had thought previously, not that that's a bad thing.

Meh, won't be long till we're drooling over the 2012 prospects.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 06, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
the new times is out? great!