Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339359 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #825 on: November 28, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
Yesterday was the first time I really looked at the area. It was a little strange to see it filled out with shapes, knowing the view from the bridge will never be the same. It does look like the carousel comes fairly close to the bridge, but not so close that it's in danger of being taken out or modified.

I actually thought all the footprints looked pretty small. It'll be interesting to see how much is actually going to be in this addition. Right now it looks like the carousel is the majority of the area with a couple of small footprints for tree houses on either side - a far cry from the big structure depicted in the concept artwork we saw last summer.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 29, 2010, 07:51:27 AM »
yes seems to be confined although I saw Orange Tape depicting a "treehouse" maybe south andand a little east of beccas house.

Yes it appears the Carousel will be close to bridge, but it appears to be on the southern edge of area to, with several other shapes closer to the train/carvers area.  Are may actually be bigger than it appear when done.

My biggest concern is with location of carousel, is will they have to "fill" in the whole are to raise elevation for project??. ( i would think so). the creek are is quite a bit lower than the north area.  The play area itself will change the swinging bridge, BUT if they fill in that whole area the bridge will never be the same.

Hopefully IF they fill it, they will rebuild/reroute the stream area for small critters and to try to keep us old farts happy ::)

There are now a set of gates on the west fence of new are, I dont remeber them being there last month, Maybe they are going to start on are early, while we have decent weather, ???

Guess I will find out next month.

crossinmo

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:17 AM »
On a similar, but different note...I was at the city on Wednesday, and sat by the waterfall in the Lumber Camp area and noticed a couple of orange flags on the upper end of that area, behind the little shops that are along the walkway up to PowderKeg.  I don't know if they mean anything, but I thought I would mention them.   

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 29, 2010, 08:19:07 PM »
On a similar, but different note...I was at the city on Wednesday, and sat by the waterfall in the Lumber Camp area and noticed a couple of orange flags on the upper end of that area, behind the little shops that are along the walkway up to PowderKeg.  I don't know if they mean anything, but I thought I would mention them.   
Very interesting...I'm still a bit dismayed as the email I received back from a rep at SDC had said that there would be something going in at the old Waterboggin' site for the 2011 season. Why did they take the Waterboggin' out until they were ready to replace it with someting else? Also, what about Splash Harbor? Is something going in there? Swoosh seems to know a lot of these details. Is Half-Dollar-Hollar all we are getting? Not that that is a bad thing if it is. I have a two year old, six year old, and ten year old that I know will enjoy the area AND I like the fact that it is replacing a smoking area. Nothing against people that smoke, however, the smell gives me a headache...The area by PowderKeg is really bad.
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #829 on: November 29, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »
^From what we talked about before, it seemed like the waterboggin suffered from a lot of unexpected issues after its make-over in 2003 that led to them taking it out. It's possible that the person who wrote that email may not know all the details and assumed that would be where the 2011 addition would be.

Half Dollar Holler is all we are getting this year.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:53 AM »
As of this weekend, you can now see the outline for the Merry-Go-Round.  The park told me the Swinging Bridge will remain in place.  Very trusting to think no one will be tempted to do something stupid, like pitch pennies on the roofs below.  That said, I'll miss the view of the dogwoods, each Spring, w/o structures everywhere...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 20, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »
Any new development on the Half Dollar Holler area? Some of you that have visited in the last week or so, can you give us an update?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #832 on: December 20, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »
Any new development on the Half Dollar Holler area? Some of you that have visited in the last week or so, can you give us an update?

I'll take some photos on Wednesday
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 20, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
and i will be there sunday/monday next week..... ??? ???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #834 on: December 20, 2010, 08:02:37 PM »
^Just Sunday.  Park is closed Mon-Tues
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 21, 2010, 09:50:47 AM »
not next week... open after christmas-  mon tues wed thurs... ;D ;D

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:49 AM »
I have been keeping up with this thread since page one, but I realize there are 56 pages too, so this might have already been posted and I forgot about it.
My wife and I were at SDC again on Sunday 19th (our 1 year Wedding Anniversary btw) :)
When we crossed the Swinging Bridge we noticed that there were flags, ribbons, etc on BOTH sides of the bridge. I wondered if there would be an attraction on the other side of the bridge or this had to do with plumbing/electrical.
Anyway, that was just something we had observed, sorry if it has been posted already!
On another note, we rode River Blast with the water turned off. We had our hot chocolate with us on the ride. It was VERY nice to float around and look at all the lights while sipping hot chocolate and NOT getting a TON of water in your eyes! haha
Have a great day Y'all
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 21, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
We talked to Becca and Joe at Becca's Weaving on Saturday (really nice people) and I asked them if they were staying at the same place once Half-Dollar opens and they said they were moving to the building where they're giving out the SDC Christmas Ornaments.  The old Butterfield Stage Depot they're in now will be incorporated into Half-Dollar Holler.
I'm Your Huckleberry

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 21, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »
We talked to Becca and Joe at Becca's Weaving on Saturday (really nice people) and I asked them if they were staying at the same place once Half-Dollar opens and they said they were moving to the building where they're giving out the SDC Christmas Ornaments.  The old Butterfield Stage Depot they're in now will be incorporated into Half-Dollar Holler.

Well that's very interesting news Duelist! I was wondering about that shop, since it protrudes so much into Half Dollar Holler. It would make since that it would have to be incorporated/themed to that section.
I remember, as I am sure most of you do, when Becca's Weaving was the Taffy Shop.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 21, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
as schultz says  "  VErrrryyyyy  Innntereesttinnnnggg!!""