Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339874 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #810 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:49 AM »
I'm sure it is safe Ozark.  It is one of the  "landmarks" of the  city.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 19, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
Agreed, SDC won't remove the swinging bridge. It's a signature attraction. :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #812 on: November 20, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »
Unfortunately, I bet they will remove a tree, or two. :'(

Oh well, that's just a part of progress. I suppose you can't even have a log cabin without cutting down a few trees. ;)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 20, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »
they may, but i would think they would work around as many of the bigger trees as possible.. I quess we will find out next march.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 20, 2010, 10:19:26 AM »
I do not think we have to worry about trees.... 

Silver Dollar City co-founder Mary Herschend insisted on saving the natural beauty of her properties. To continue that legacy, Jack Herschend founded the Gift of Green. His personal goal is to plant 1,000,000 trees in the Ozarks through tree donations, supporting benefit-tree sales and through old-fashioned, hands-on, hard work. Over 200,000 trees have been planted in the Ozark Mountains since this program's inception in 1992. HFE supports the efforts of Gift of Green and embraces its philosophy. Inspired by this program, HFE makes it a policy to plant two trees for every single tree cut down on HFE properties.

“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 20, 2010, 10:40:09 AM »
 i had read that somewhere.  ???             so i am sure they will save as many of the trees as they can..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 20, 2010, 01:41:15 PM »
One of the last times I visited Branson My wife and I passed an SUV parked on the side of the road just south of the Highway 65/Highway 76 interchange, and guess who had a shovel out, planting trees on the side of the road? None other than Jack himeself!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #817 on: November 21, 2010, 10:21:53 AM »
HFE supports the efforts of Gift of Green and embraces its philosophy. Inspired by this program, HFE makes it a policy to plant two trees for every single tree cut down on HFE properties.

I just wish they remembered that philosophy when it came to their own parking lot! Granted, trees must be moved out to make space for cars, but there are other ways of doing it besides ripping out entire chunks of hillside. I wish they would have been a little more creative with that. If nothing else, I wish they would have done most of their bulldozing on the East side of the main road.

Let’s face it, Mrs. Mary was passionate about those trees, but she is gone now, and although Jack’s heart is still there, I don’t think he is playing the power, and in charge card at the park as much as he did in his younger days. It’s true, the company may plant two trees for every tree cut down on their property, but just because they cut down a tree at Silver Dollar City does not mean they are going to replace it with two trees at Silver Dollar City specifically.

Honestly, I am not worried about the trees when it comes to Half Dollar Hollar. It's just a small attraction, and I am confident there is nothing to worry about there. As for future projects, we will just take them as they come. ;)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #818 on: November 23, 2010, 06:13:36 PM »
Does anyone think, as I tend to think, that the reason larger capital investments are fewer at SDC than a DW is that they don't need to make such large investments?  I mean, many of us come to the park because of nostalgia, because we want our children to experience it the way we did, because it's a local icon that we can't escape, because it's atmosphere is wholesome.  Sure, a few come because of the biggest and latest feature that has been added, but as long as they get their "fix" every few years, they'll come back.  Now, as for Dollywood, perhaps the same cannot be said:  the "base" crowd is not as established and loyal, so the "base" crowd becomes the people they can lure with Dolly's publicity, the latest park award, and the glitz and flash of high-thrill rides.

I'm just guessing TPTB know something we don't about crowds and appeal.  I don't always like their decisions, but they may be onto something by spreading the thrills over longer periods at SDC while making costly, but necessary, investments at DW and other places.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #819 on: November 23, 2010, 09:32:00 PM »
Dollywood is viewed more as an amusement park with some themes whereas Silver Dollar City is a theme park.  DW is constantly having to fight with SFoG and Carowinds for guests.  They are not (imho) as "stable" as SDC is with regards to repeat visitors, especially in the same season.
SWOOSH

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 24, 2010, 07:33:07 AM »
Well from the looks of it, they aren't fighting with SFoG this season because from what I've heard and seen they are not doing to good right now at SFoG. Dollywood does have some regular season guests I'm one of them! lol  :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 07:33:44 AM by dwfan »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #821 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »
^Nope, but most of the usual Carolina visitors this year went to Carowinds or north to Kings Dominion
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 24, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »
Just returned from the City.  I'll try to post pics of the new area soon.  The fence is up, but you can see the entire Half Dollar Holler area from the swinging bridge.  They have ribbons on the north side of the swinging bridge that appear to be outlining the different structures to be placed in the area.  One round area, that must indicate the carousel, is all the way at the bottom of the valley, very close to the water that flows by the mill.  Other rectangular places are scattered on the same hillside.

This new area looks to be filling in the entire space between Midtown, where Becca's Weaving is and the swinging bridge.  It should finally bring in some business to Midtown after years of trying to lure people down that street.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 26, 2010, 10:50:05 AM »
As promised:

All of these pictures were taken from the entrance to the swinging bridge.  This first photo shows the back of Becca's Weaving.  Look closely to see the orange ribbons that seem to outline structures to be built.

The second picture looks back toward the depot.  You can see a clear shot of that silly fence, and yet no attempt has been made to hide the area from the bridge.  Why a fence at all?  Why not put up a nice temporary sign to announce the new area?  Anyway, all you tree huggers will also notice at least one larger tree in the center of the ribboned area on the left side of the picture.  Most of the area is filled with smaller trees.

In this third and final installment, the camera is aimed toward the grist mill.  At the bottom of the hill, near the standing water, is a circle of the orange ribbon just about the size of a small carousel.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 26, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
good pics! great detail.! ;D