Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337311 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #750 on: October 30, 2010, 12:00:50 AM »
It makes me sad toi see some of these posts. I sure hope that some of you posters are not as ego-centric in real life as you come across on here. It really makes me sick how people think they know so much better on how to run the park. Just because you play RCT at home on your computer does not mean you know what's best for SDC.  The problem a lot of you are dealing with is that you had unrealistic expectations to being with. Never once did Copper or I or any of the others say it would be a thrill ride but countless numbers of you posters were convined it would be. On what grounds?  RB was a medium-large cap. Usually a small cap follows if anything at all. Why is this a surprise?
SWOOSH

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: October 30, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
@Chadewb:
The boycott idea is just ridiculous! If I had a magic SDC Genie and could make three wishes, then yes we would have three major rides waiting for us tomorrow morning (hey, if I had a genie...why wait for next year?)

That said, Silver Dollar City is a family park. Younger kids like playgrounds. Teens and young adults are generally the ones who like thrill rides (although there are many exceptions, such as my 80 year old grandpa who rides WF and PK). Some of the older (and younger) folks go for the music and crafts. You want to keep it diverse to please as many people as possible. Would McDonald's survive if they had 20 variations of a cheeseburger to choose from, but no McNuggets or fries? What SDC is doing in 2011 is not a "let down" and certainly does not warrant a boycott.

SDC is probably saving money from 2010 and 2011 to build a great major ride in 2012, instead of settling for a mediocre major ride in 2011. More importantly, they are also catering to a group of guests (young kids) who have been "overlooked". This was based on guest feedback, they didn't draw a little piece of paper from a hat and say "Let's build a playground."

You are entitled to your opinion, but I agree with Shavethewales. Asking for a boycott is taking it too far. If you're not attending SDC next year, hope you live close to another theme/amusement park to fill the void.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:45:04 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 30, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »
So what ever they do in 2011 is fine with me...  Even little updates.  I'm usually just reading the forum but it seems it got outa hand so I'm tryin to get on topic... But there really isn't much to discuss...  Nothing done yet and WB still lays empty... I think SDC will get creative with what ever they make no matter what... Honestly the water blast ride was themed amazingly and I enjoyed it..  So back to being a hermit for me :-)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 30, 2010, 02:18:54 AM »
Boycott? :o  really? ??? dont renew passes? :o really? ???
 OK! you go ahead and do that! ;D
if you think that is the right move,Go for it!, And while the rest of us are enjoying the train, watching the kids, doing the  coasters, eating the great food, having funnel cakes, watching the shows and enjoying everything that IS SDC.. at least there will be 4 or 5 LESS people there to be in line. ;D
I have stated before and sounds like the majority if us agree, new kids area is WAY past due, yes i know they took out hucks fort for the RB, But that is now history..
I do like the idea of balloons in the GE area. That area "seems" to be missing something..
And yet we all know that there will a new "ride" in WB..  Just have to see........ ??? ???

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 30, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »
I can understand the people who have no kids and go there for just the roller coaster and that is it. The key thing is SDC is not a amusement park. If you look back SDC did not make it name by having thrill rides. The rides are added to attract more and different people. If you look at the majority of the people that are there they have kids and when you have a family like mine where my son is not tall enough though if he could he would be on every ride, it gives him some where to run , climb and have fun. The key to repeating memories is that the entire family from 1 to 99 can have something to do.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #755 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »
I, for one, am still hopeful that this is another step toward taking care of the little ones in a different way than the Geyser Gulch (which is also, sadly, called a treehouse).  If that can then be removed, and maybe some elements relocated, the skyline could then be dramatically changed with the major ride (and take care of the thrill seekers among us).

I am also happy to see that HFE is not seeking to turn the park into a teenage rampage in one flail swoop.  Family is still the focus.  Now, I want to see some things done for the elderly.  It does my soul good to see older folks still enjoying the same place where they brought their own kids 30, 40, and 50 years ago.

SDC:  the Next 50 Years!

Now...no, the balloons don't fit with the theme...unless they are raised to rise above the forest and renamed the Canopy Balloons.  I'm not sure how that could be done without an expensive re-engineering of a low-impact attraction.  Actually, they could be rethemed with some wood-patterned paint, but they wouldn't be as effective.  They should reappear, at some time, in the GE, with repainted balloons.  My vote is to replace those elephants, which are too similar to the flying elephant icons of another park.  The balloons would be an obvious addition to the "transportation" theme of that part of GE.

I'll be interested in seeing how big this attraction will really be and how they handle the slope of the land.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 11:26:15 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 30, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
That's also what I like, is that it's all about family. Be on the lookout because next Saturday I'm going to Dollywood to do a trip report on there Smoky Mountain Christmas. I'll try to post the pics by Sunday at least.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #757 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:32 PM »
I'll be interested in seeing how big this attraction will really be and how they handle the slope of the land.

From just the artist interpretation alone, it doesn't appear like it's going to be that big. It looks very quaint with just a "kids size" tree house, or two (not considering the merry-go-round). The adult in the drawing almost appears to be as tall as the second level of the tree house. Just rehashing an old concern, but although this will probably be very visible from the swinging bridge, I doubt it will affect it at all. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 30, 2010, 06:32:37 PM »
dwfan,  I would for one like to see some christmas pics from DW..  having never been there i think it would be interesting,

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #759 on: October 30, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »
dwfan,  I would for one like to see some christmas pics from DW..  having never been there i think it would be interesting,

I'm going to the ACE event at Dollywood on the 20th - I'll make sure I take plenty of photos while I am there of their Christmas event.
SWOOSH

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: October 30, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
Swoosh is correct...this should not come as a surprise to anyone here.  It was obvious to everyone that bothered to watch what was going on elsewhere within the organization that a large project was out of the question.  The capital had already been committed to other parks.  Anything that was added to SDC was going to be ,at best, a token project that added at least something "new" no matter how small or relatively insignificant it seems to some here.  It serves a purpose.  I for one believe that they didn't see the return on RB that they had hoped for.  Over the summer I was there at least 3 or 4 times a month on the weekends and I never saw lines at RB that were reminiscent of PK, LR or the Giant Swing.  Granted RB is a different type of ride, but with all the efforts they put into the ride, I expect they had higher expectations for the ride.  Could they be rethinking their direction that have for the park?  Could a larger project have been on the boards, but with the lack luster performance of RB, they decided to retool any ideas they had?  We will never know, even those that claim to have an inside track on the wheelings and dealings of the park, really cannot know what is going on in executive offices in Atlanta.

Silver Dollar City is something to be cherished by those of us here.  But it is also a property owned by a large entertainment company.  No matter how much we idealize HFE, it is in the business of making money.  Capital is going to flow to the property that has the highest potential of turning a profit on their investment, and right now that is DW and the other parks in the organization.  This should be evident with the lack luster effort that was put into the anniversary celebration.  Anniversary weekend was nice and well done, but it was just that a nice weekend.  With the exception of the banners and passing out leftover buttons to those who wanted them, you would never know this year was any different than any other year.  You would have thought that the park that started the entire company would have deserved a larger effort that what was put forth.  Dolly gets her national TV special for 25 years and we get a weekend.  To most of us here that is enough.

Company priorities shift and change just like the wind.  SDC and HFE are no different.  Keep the park clean and attractive.  Stay true to its founding.  And give us the occasional major addition.  At this point in time I don't think we can ask or expect more.

Cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: October 31, 2010, 05:01:07 PM »
In my opinion, I think Half Dollar Hollar is a sign that something big is coming soon.  Not 2011 but maybe 2012 or 2013.  I believe River Blast and Half Dollar Hollar are replacement rides for Geyser Gulch.  They need to open these attractions first before Possibly building a fence across the entrance to Geyser Gulch in November 2011.  I am not a insider but, I predict Geyser Gulch will close Fall of 2011.  I predict Geyser Gulch area will be redeveloped into something great--possibly a new "land" with major ride and maybe new restaurants and shops.  I think redeveloping Geyser Gulch will take over a year to do.  so that means 2012 is a fence around Geyser Gulch and spring 2013 is a "new area with major ride.  2010 River Blast
        2011 Half Dollar Hollar, small rides

Cujo

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: October 31, 2010, 05:08:49 PM »
In MY Opinion,
2010 River Blast
2011 Half Dollar Hollar, small ride relocation
2012 Fence around Geyser Gulch, maybe relocation of Roaring Falls to SDC
2013 New Area with Major Ride, possibly new restaurants and shops (location of old Geyser Gulch)
This is my opinion, any comments??

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #763 on: October 31, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »
I don't think Geyser Gulch is going anywhere soon. As much as some of the people on here dislike it, it's a huge attraction for younger families coming to the park, and Half-Dollar Holler is more of an addition to it than a replacement. It might be headed for a major re-furb/re-theme in 2012 to compliment whatever is going in WB's spot, but I think taking it out completely would destroy the park's chances with a lot of young families, and they're kind of dependent on young families these days.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: October 31, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »
As I've mentioned in many previous posts, I (like many) can see the value in adding HDH to the park. What's disappointing to me is the timing. If in fact HDH is our new addition for 2011, I'm not sure I agree with it being added on the heels of a multi-million dollar attraction geared toward an obviously younger audience (see RB). I have a toddler myself so I would applaud the decision to add a play area just for kids in this age range. Just can't justify doing back-to-back projects targeted at the young ones. But that's just me. And yes, plans change fast and change often so I'm anxious to see what's revealed with the official announcement(s). Still somewhat perplexed that HFEC specifically told me WB was removed prior to this season to make way for an "exciting new adventure" in 2011.

So, did plans change? Were they blowing smoke? Who knows. I'm just glad to see them continuing to make improvements and doing them the way only SDC can on an annual basis. Sure, I want another major coaster, but I guess I'll have to settle on the assumption that one will be coming sooner than later. Who knows?