Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339440 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2010, 11:11:47 AM »
I cannot speak for everyone on these forums, but I am glad that they don’t install a new major attraction every year just as I have mentioned multiple times before.

With that being said, the last major ride to come through that was geared towards adults was back in 2007 with the Giant Swing, and it will be at the very least 2012 before another one comes through. So perhaps that’s were a little animosity seeps through?

I am on par with Junior, and wish they could have used this same one million dollars to breathe fresh life into the original tree house. I understand the concerns of ADA compliancy, but perhaps this structure can be grandfathered in. Why must everything that was already previously in existence be ADA compliant, always? Heck, they might as well install a new elevator into Marvel Cave while they are at it.

Sure, I am a bit sentimental about the old tree house, and I choose to be. However, it’s hard to warm up to this “new kid on the block” that I have only seen an artist interpretation of. I truly hope that I am pleasantly surprised by this new attraction! :)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 29, 2010, 11:29:35 AM »
Why must everything that was already previously in existence be ADA compliant, always? Heck, they might as well install a new elevator into Marvel Cave while they are at it.

Sure, I am a bit sentimental about the old tree house, and I choose to be. However, it’s hard to warm up to this “new kid on the block” that I have only seen an artist interpretation of. I truly hope that I am pleasantly surprised by this new attraction! :)

Good point on the ADA deal. But I hope this new playground fills the void for future generations. If we're lucky, SDC will see fit to restore the existing Treehouse too :)
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 29, 2010, 03:21:40 PM »
Unless you have kids this age, you don't really understand the importance.  We bought passes this year and have used them twice.  The first time we went, the kids couldn't do anything.  See it rained the night before and they weren't allowed to go into Gyser Gulch until at least noon.  There are 4 rides they can ride in the kid area. 

Before you consider this an epic fail, think about the population it serves.  It's not here to serve as a play area for those that are able to ride the rides.  It will be there so that FAMILIES with YOUNG children can have a good time when they go and not have to worry about their children getting bored. Deal with it! 

Way to go Silver Dollar City!  This will be a great addition to the park.  I, for one, am very happy with your decision.  We will be buying passes for next year because we know that our children will have something to do when we go.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 29, 2010, 04:19:52 PM »
Unless you have kids this age, you don't really understand the importance.  We bought passes this year and have used them twice.  The first time we went, the kids couldn't do anything.  See it rained the night before and they weren't allowed to go into Gyser Gulch until at least noon.  There are 4 rides they can ride in the kid area. 

Before you consider this an epic fail, think about the population it serves.  It's not here to serve as a play area for those that are able to ride the rides.  It will be there so that FAMILIES with YOUNG children can have a good time when they go and not have to worry about their children getting bored. Deal with it! 

Way to go Silver Dollar City!  This will be a great addition to the park.  I, for one, am very happy with your decision.  We will be buying passes for next year because we know that our children will have something to do when we go.

Sorry, accidentally deleted my previous post:
I thought they were gonna restore the existing tree. Why Hollow out another perfectly good tree, or clear out real trees to make room for a fiberglass tree wanna be? Epic Fail!

Anyways, I don't really dislike the idea of building the new playground. In fact, I have been complaining about the existing playgrounds being closed for years. I too, have been complaining on this very thread that there aren't enough playgrounds for kids:
Consider that the playground at Tom Sawyer's landing was taken out, as well as the Treehouse. Geyser Gulch is really the only major playground left in the park. Sure the Grand Exposition is geared towards kids, but it is all rides. Not everybody wants to get wet, or wants their kids to get wet at Geyser Gulch. If you're going to a nice restaurant after SDC and don't have a second set of clothes to change into, do you really want to tell your kids "No playground for you!?"

I have reluctantly accepted that the Treehouse is a relic of the 70's and 80's, when people didn't sue someone every time they skinned their knee :( but there needs to be a 2nd playground that's up-to-code and dry for kids to play on.

However, I also think that SDC needs to restore what they already have! Your instincts serve you well, I don't have kids, so I don't understand what it is like to bring them to SDC. However, I do know what it is like to be a kid. The old Tom' Sawyer's landing and old Treehouse were so much fun to me as a young 5 year old, that I am defending them 26 years later, as I don't think that modern playgrounds are adventurous enough.

But either way, I am excited that SDC is getting a playground, and I understand where you are coming from :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:23:46 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #739 on: October 29, 2010, 04:57:44 PM »
Plus, back by popular demand, our hand-carved carousel returns in a whole new way!

What does this mean - it's going to go counter-clockwise now?

It says, "back by popular demand."  Does that mean it's the old carousel, and they're not going to bring over the carousel from CC?  Would it "return in a whole new way" by being powered differently?

And...are the mini wave swings from CC?

This doesn't mention anything about puppet shows (which were a part of the HDH survey a few months ago).

Exactly how much usable land is in the area?  Will it extend to Becca's Weaving, or around it...or through it?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:59:45 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #740 on: October 29, 2010, 05:27:38 PM »
^^ As I said in another thread, the old tree house wouldn't be worth the millions of dollars in renovations it would take to re-open it. By the time it could be brought up to standards, it wouldn't have much room inside, kids would end up getting separated from their parents, mass frustration would ensue, etc. While this area does incorporate tree houses, it goes well beyond the scope of the old tree house as well with play areas, kiddie rides, and a safe system to keep track of small children. I think all the complainers (not you specifically Nate65807) need to quit pouting and realize that not every addition to SDC is about them.

^ I think they just mean that they're bringing back a carousel with the hand-carved horses from the old carousel. Maybe they're using the old CC carousel as a base, since the hardware on the SDC one seemed to be pretty worn out. The concept artwork seems to show some woodland theming on it.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 29, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
Yeah, I see that now.  As long as it isn't a jungle theme, it'll be OK.  I just can't imagine reusing the old carousel when the one at CC was so much better.  The old one was small and pretty beaten-up.  The wording is intriguing though.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 29, 2010, 05:47:12 PM »
hopefully more details next week!

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 29, 2010, 06:36:07 PM »
As a parent with a 3 year old and another one on the way I am excited about rendering that they have going. Since he can only go on so many rides this kinda gives them something else beside GG

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 29, 2010, 07:11:29 PM »
My grandkids will love this new area. 

New question:
Dose any one know what the ride numbers have been this year for RiverBlast? The few time I have wastched it there has not been that many people using it. If not was it a wasted of money that could have gone into a more attractive attractton?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 29, 2010, 07:40:01 PM »
that would be an interesting number.. along with the other attractions.  But i am sure it is here to stay high traffic count or not.

chadewb

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 29, 2010, 09:48:49 PM »
I went to Face book and told them that I was very dispointed. We need to let them know how we feel. I been a faith full customer to Silver Dollar City. I believe this is a slap in the face to the people in Branson. They deserve much more than a Half Dollar. I am very upset. I was hoping for something big. I think they need some changes in thier fron office. The park is getting run down. No water boggin. The effects dont work on the plunge.  Silver Dollar city is not as good as it used to be. Sorry if I offended anyone I just got to vent my anger towards SDC. Lets send them the message DONT RENEW YOUR PASSES!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 29, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
You have every right to your opinion, but I don't think a fan site is the place to express yourself in such a blatant manner.  Save your harsh rhetoric for your personal remarks on Facebook, or make a call to them yourself.  We are generally supportive of SDC and often offer constructive criticism, but we do not call for boycotts.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #748 on: October 29, 2010, 11:05:41 PM »
chadewb, you've gone too far. If that is what you have to say about SDC and this project, please take your feelings elsewhere. I'll grant that this addition falls below what some people expected and want, and sure, you can express your disappointment here - but to call for a boycott just because you didn't get what you wanted this year is beyond ridiculous and I won't waste my bandwidth spreading it. If you're such a fair-weather fan that you can't stand to see something added for kids because it means you'll have to wait another year for an adult-oriented attraction... well, that's pathetic, and I'm sure SDC won't miss your patronage.

Anyway, to get back on topic, who thinks the Balloons might still be part of this? Seems doubtful... I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned it by name, but one never knows. At least that gives us something to hold out on until the full announcement is made.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #749 on: October 29, 2010, 11:39:40 PM »
I hate to say it, but the balloons definitely would not mesh with the tree house theme. Well, at least not with the new tree house.  ;)

However, the balloon ride would work great say in the Grand Exposition. Several of the rides there are redundant in my opinion. If they could yank one of those out, the balloon ride would fit perfectly.  ;D