Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337118 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #675 on: October 25, 2010, 08:25:59 PM »
The simple fact is, nobody here is going to know squat until we read the official press release from HFEC with our own eyes. Hate it, but that's the truth.

You obviously have no idea that someone that posts on this forum works for the park...  And They have posted on this subject.

That wasn't my point. I'm simply saying whatever is being discussed is nothing more than speculation until we receive official word from HFEC.

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 25, 2010, 08:40:29 PM »
The simple fact is, nobody here is going to know squat until we read the official press release from HFEC with our own eyes. Hate it, but that's the truth.

You obviously have no idea that someone that posts on this forum works for the park...  And They have posted on this subject.

That wasn't my point. I'm simply saying whatever is being discussed is nothing more than speculation until we receive official word from HFEC.

Does that mean that simply because we don't KNOW for a fact what it is, that we SHOULDN'T guess, speculate, discuss and hope?!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 25, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
If you don't think that SDC competes with Six Flags and Worlds of Fun, you're seriously mistaken.  And, if SDC is going to continue to raise ticket prices, but not deliver on expected additions, then people WILL go elsewhere to buy their season passes... especially if they can get a family of 4 season passes at Six Flags for about 1/3 less than it would cost them to buy SDC season passes!

I agree. One would be ignorant to think that SDC isn't competing with Six Flags for St. Louis area dollars. However, I believe three major problems are preventing SDC from winning that battle.

1) Proximity. It's an obvious one, but Six Flags is simply far more convenient to get to for St. Louis area residents/visitors.
2) SDC is a niche destination. Many people around STL know that SDC is a mix of demonstrations, shops and shows with some rides sprinkled in. While it's right in the wheelhouse of many, I would argue that there are an equal number of folks who have no interest in driving four-plus hours to visit a park that isn't simply full of rides. As much as we love it, it's just not for everyone.
3) Misconception. I can't tell you how many people around STL are baffled when I tell them my wife and I went to Branson and SDC for the weekend. Many have either never been, or have not been for a very long time. They don't realize how much both have to offer for everyone and how vastly different both are now compared to several years ago, much less a couple of decades ago. This is a marketing/advertising issue as far as I'm concerned, but a real world barrier that's keep many from many from even dabbling with the thought of making the trek to SDC once a year, let alone bucking up for season passes.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 25, 2010, 08:55:26 PM »

Does that mean that simply because we don't KNOW for a fact what it is, that we SHOULDN'T guess, speculate, discuss and hope?!

Of course not. Look how many hours I've wasted on this topic. I'm just saying people continue to put too much stock into the latest rumor(s) circulating here. It's a blast wishing and speculating, but in the end that's all they are...rumors. After all that's the title of this section for threads isn't it?

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 25, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »

I agree. One would be ignorant to think that SDC isn't competing with Six Flags for St. Louis area dollars. However, I believe three major problems are preventing SDC from winning that battle.

1) Proximity. It's an obvious one, but Six Flags is simply far more convenient to get to for St. Louis area residents/visitors.
2) SDC is a niche destination. Many people around STL know that SDC is a mix of demonstrations, shops and shows with some rides sprinkled in. While it's right in the wheelhouse of many, I would argue that there are an equal number of folks who have no interest in driving four-plus hours to visit a park that isn't simply full of rides. As much as we love it, it's just not for everyone.
3) Misconception. I can't tell you how many people around STL are baffled when I tell them my wife and I went to Branson and SDC for the weekend. Many have either never been, or have not been for a very long time. They don't realize how much both have to offer for everyone and how vastly different both are now compared to several years ago, much less a couple of decades ago. This is a marketing/advertising issue as far as I'm concerned, but a real world barrier that's keep many from many from even dabbling with the thought of making the trek to SDC once a year, let alone bucking up for season passes.

OK, obviously more people who live in St. Louis are going to go to Six Flags.  That's a given.  BUT, what about people in Tulsa who don't have much in the way of a major theme park?  Are they going to go to KC which is about 4 hours away, or are they going to go to Branson which is about 4 hours away?  OKC - I don't know if there's a theme park there or not, but from what I do know, I don't think there's much of one, is there?  If not, then same question.  Columbia, MO which is about 2 hours from both St. Louis and KC or are they going to spend the extra couple of hours to drive to Branson?  You see, it's all about proximity.  Yes, some places HAVE a theme park... but others really don't have much of one.

And yes, I COMPLETELY understand where you're coming from with people not knowing about SDC! I work in the tourist industry, and I get people ALLLLLL the time asking me, "what's Silver Dollar City?  What is there to do there?  Is it just rides for kids?"  Seriously.  So yes, I get that, and yes, I agree that it's a marketing thing, and SDC SHOULD run ads on KC, STL, Tulsa, OKC, Chicago, Little Rock television stations and other major cities to get the word out more.  When I lived in KC, I don't think I EVER saw an SDC ad.  So yes, you're right... they should do that.  But despite that, there are a lot of people who DO know what SDC is all about, but still choose to buy season passes at a theme park based on price of ticket and what that park has to offer.  And for many, SDC doesn't cut it on either of those (especially if you have really young children).

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 25, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »
Funny, literally as I began to type this a TV spot promoting the Christmas season in Branson came on. I live about 30 minutes east of STL. And you're dead on about proximity. Honestly, regardless of how much SDC has to offer, I don't think it's realistic to think that many can and will ultimately justify buying season passes for a park that's four hours away. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense due to the inconvenience of travel and lodging expenses that quickly mount up. I believe they should be doing all they can to get more people through the turnstiles once a year to discover all that SDC has to offer, then work on building whatever momentum they can establish from there. I truly don't think promoting season passes in regional markets is the best strategy for building market share.

Another great topic we might want to move and continue on a separate thread. Sorry for veering off-topic folks.

So any guesses on the name of this new coaster we're getting next year?  ;) 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 09:17:24 PM by BackInTime9 »

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 25, 2010, 09:21:34 PM »
I look at it this way... people WILL buy season passes to a park that's 4 hours away IF they have a reason to.  For instance, let's say you buy a timeshare someplace.  Duh.  It makes sense to buy season passes because usually you can stay cheaper on your non-free time than most non-owners can.  And even if you can't, let's say you have a family of 4, and you buy 2 season passes early, and only go during BAF times and use those for your kids.  Or, like in my case when I lived in KC, you have family that lives down that way and you stay with them.  Even if that family is in Springfield or something, that would work... IF your family is nice enough to let you stay with them.

What I'm saying is that people DO do these things to save money!  People DO buy season passes to parks that are 4 hours away from them!  I KNOW people who do!  So your theory that people who live 4 hours away aren't going to buy season passes just isn't true!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 25, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
Certainly those scenarios are possible. I just mean that's not going to be the case for the vast majority of people living that far away. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  :)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 25, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
And even if they're not buying season passes, they ARE going to a park on vacation... are they going to go to WoF that's 4 hours away or are they going to go to SDC that's 4 hours away?

What Branson has to offer in that respect is that there's SO much more to do.  But at the same time, people who are sports fans would be more likely to go to STL or KC so they can see their teams play.

Like I said, there are A LOT of factors that go into a family's vacation destination, and even a factor that you and I don't think is very important may be VERY important to another person and their family!

This year, Branson had a BUMPER year!  After last year's slump, Branson took off this year with record attendance at many of the theatres and most of the hotels/resorts were jammed packed!  Mine STILL is and has been since the summer with hardly any rooms at all to rent!  Before I tell you why, I want to get your guesses as to why... and you might be surprised at the answer. ;)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 25, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Makayna is right! We went to the park together labor day weekend and it was dead there. SDC needs to quit raising ticket prices mid year when the tickets are worth less ($98 for a season pass now and only 2 months left).

SDC and 6 Flags compete for customers interested in Rides. As for the other things SDC offers, two different markets!
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
I'll give you a hint... it has to do with other vacation destinations and shows that Branson DOES compete with other areas many, many, many hours away. ;)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 25, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
I know what you are talking about But will let others guess first.
Nate

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 25, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »
I know what you are talking about But will let others guess first.

Should I just say it? ???

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 25, 2010, 10:14:09 PM »
I know you will position it in a sensitive manner, as it results from tragedy elsewhere, so why not?

But, I just gave a hint, wanna let people guess a bit longer?
Nate

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 25, 2010, 10:21:47 PM »
No.  :P

Basically, one of my duties this past summer was to ask people, "so what made you decide to come to Branson this year?" for marketing tracking purposes.

And, of course, I heard the standard, "oh, we come every year! We just love Branson!"  And, "we wanted to take the kids to Silver Dollar City," and so forth... but I was surprised at the number of people who said, "well, we were going to go to the gulf this summer, but because of the oil spill, we decided to come to Branson instead."

THE GULF?!?!  That's like 10+ hours from Branson!!!  But, LOTS of people changed their plans, and decided to hit Branson instead of Texas, Louisiana, Florida or other gulf areas.

Believe it or not, Branson DOES compete with other areas... even other areas 10+ hours away.  So, it's definitely not hard to imagine that people will go to Six Flags or Worlds of Fun next year if they know that SDC isn't opening anything cool in 2011, or if the price of tickets between the parks is significant.