Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339385 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #660 on: October 25, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »
I agree. Paint the white trams green for old times sake!

I loved taking my kids on the balloons when they were little. My daughter has never seen them. And she would ABSOLUTELY LOVE the old carousel.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #661 on: October 25, 2010, 10:59:04 AM »
You can paint the new white trams to green all day long, but they still won't replace, or compete with the original green trams. Although, I do like the creative thinking! ;D

chadewb

• View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 25, 2010, 11:20:16 AM »
How about Doc having another project? This time he is trying to invent a launch into space. A shot tower. what do you think?

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: October 25, 2010, 02:10:59 PM »
I get the sense that some of the folks around here misunderstand my views regarding this whole new attraction topic. So, perhaps I should clarify my position a little further. I'm not suggesting that we have to see a MAJOR attraction go up EVERY year to be happy. I'm merely saying as long as ticket prices continue to go up, something NOVEL should be demanded with every new season.

It could be a couple of new and unique shops, a kids area with hands-on activities reflective of the late 19th century era, a festival that offers something we've never seen at SDC before, or a even a smaller ride that's themed well and fun for many. Whatever. Just be sure it oozes that unmistakable SDC charm.

Do I (like many) want to see another major coaster at SDC sooner than later? Without question. Can I see the value of an AM-type area? Sure. Would a carousel and the balloons ride be a welcomed addition somewhere in the park? Perhaps, but not as "the" stand alone improvement for an upcoming season, IMHO. If it's part of a more involved area improvement, then by all means.

Despite the fact that RB isn't my cup of tea, I'll be the first to admit that HFEC did a phenomenal job with it. The theme work is elaborate and it's probably a people eater during peak summer operation. But let's not lose sight of the fact that it was supposed to debut in 2009, not this year. But I digress.

As far as bringing new, quality entertainment and value to SDC, HFEC hasn't disappointed much in the last decade.

2000.....Red Gold Heritage Hall
2001.....Wildfire
2002....."For the Glory" Civil War Musical
2003.....Water Works Water Toboggan
2004.....Power Keg
2005.....Bluegrass & Barbecue Festival
2006.....The Grand Exposition
2007.....The Giant Barn Swing
2008.....The Culinary and Crafts School
2009.....N/A
2010.....River Blast
2011.....?

For me though, simply bringing back a couple of older rides couldn't be more underwhelming news. And unfortunately, like many here have speculated, their track record of spacing out more costly attractions does suggest we're more than likely due for something smaller for 2011, with the possibility of something more significant for 2012. If that's the case, I think HFEC would be smart to announce both of those plans in one unveil this fall. That type of PR move would generate a lift in season ticket sales for 2011 and sustainable buzz throughout the course of next year with the anticipation of a big addition coming in 2012.     

I will say, I read through the entire "The next coaster (SDC)" thread and found it to be very interesting that in 2007, some here thought to was a virtual certainty that SDC's next coaster would be in place by 2009. And here we are, knocking on 2011's door and that theory still hasn't come to fruition.     
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:12:56 PM by BackInTime9 »

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 25, 2010, 02:47:25 PM »
For me though, simply bringing back a couple of older rides couldn't be more underwhelming news. And unfortunately, like many here have speculated, their track record of spacing out more costly attractions does suggest we're more than likely due for something smaller for 2011, with the possibility of something more significant for 2012. If that's the case, I think HFEC would be smart to announce both of those plans in one unveil this fall. That type of PR move would generate a lift in season ticket sales for 2011 and sustainable buzz throughout the course of next year with the anticipation of a big addition coming in 2012.   

Announcing the big ride in the fall for an opening in 2012 could be great PR, but could backfire for guests "on the fence" about buying SDC passes.

I'm sold either way, but what about "thrill seekers?" I can hear it now: "Let's do Six Flags this year and SDC in 2012, when they have a new ride"

I would wait until March 17 or so to announce when the next major ride opens. You want to flaunt your successes and keep em' guessing on the opportunities:)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:48:23 PM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 25, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
For the last few years SDC has been really geared towards listening to MOM and I think 2011 is going to please mom greatly.  There is a need for a few attractions that any person i.e. very small children, disabled guest or older adult can ride.  When they removed those rides/attractions I think they heard MOM loud and clear and now they are bringing back a little of what they took out.  Some rope towers, sand boxes and a few rides with basically zero height requirement.  I can see the need.  I’m with most of you, I want something big too and I can wait a year. 

Announcing the big ride in the fall for an opening in 2012 could be great PR, but could backfire for guests "on the fence" about buying SDC passes.

Agree it would probably backfire, you use these moments to draw people, not make them say, "maybe I will wait a year before I go there."

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 25, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »
Don't know why anyone would be "on the fence" or looking for an excuse to "wait until next year" to attend SDC. Especially if there is something new to be experienced in 2011, even if it's relatively small. Now if the plan were to not do anything for 2011, but add a major attraction for 2012, then I totally agree there wouldn't be any value in announcing those plans this fall.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #667 on: October 25, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
2000.....Red Gold Heritage Hall
2001.....Wildfire
2002....."For the Glory" Civil War Musical
2003.....Water Works Water Toboggan
2004.....Power Keg
2005.....Bluegrass & Barbecue Festival
2006.....The Grand Exposition
2007.....The Giant Barn Swing
2008.....The Culinary and Crafts School
2009.....N/A
2010.....River Blast
2011.....?

POWDER KEG opened in 2005
BUZZSAW FALLS opened in 1999
SWOOSH

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 25, 2010, 04:42:22 PM »
I still don't see any value in announcing 2012 in 2010, it's like saying what we have to offer next year isn't that great, but the year after we have something BIG.  That is how most people would take it.

Back to 2011... I'm excited, as I am always excited when SDC does something.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #669 on: October 25, 2010, 05:00:02 PM »
Sounds like we'll be waiting until Nov. 6 to get the details on this one, as usual.

Is it possible one or more of the new rides will go down by RB where the Run-away-ore-carts used to be? Maybe there's more space in that smoking area than I think, but I don't see how all 4 attractions could fit there, if indeed they're getting all 4 that have been rumored. I'm hoping the new playground is pretty big.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 25, 2010, 05:13:52 PM »
Okay so is it just me or does anyone else feel let down by the sudden turn of rumor events. Its been one big thing after another then.........playground. Dont get me wrong thats a snazzy idea considering I have a 4 year old who would love that and I dont get much of a chance to ride the "big kid" rides much anymore. I am not opposed to a playground. Especially if it is themed after the landing and has great big climbing rope towers. Still feels like a let down though. All well. Save the money for something AMAZING that I will alas not get to ride often due to the aforementioned 4 year old. All well.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 25, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Backintime9 does have a good point, given the "pattern" of major ride releases, why should anybody EXPECT a big ride in 2011 when we had River Blast in 2010?

In response to those who feel that no "big ride" in 2011 is a let down:

I for one am excited about what SDC is doing, and I do not feel that it is necessary to announce a new ride 1 1/2 years in advance to keep people's interest.

Go to SDC on a Friday morning after the 2nd week of September. If the roller coasters didn't make noise by themselves, all you would hear is crickets. With the exception of Sat/Sun and summertime,the shows/shops/music/crafts are what most people are there for.

As far as I'm concerned, the shows and shops at Six Flags seem very corporate and impersonal to me. Let's be thankful that SDC is unique:)
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 25, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »
What I find the most entertaining is how much stock is put into the latest "I heard" hearsay. Within the last week or so, we've seen a fence go up and a couple of folks claim to have heard mention of the word playground and now all of the sudden that's what we're getting and it's going in that area. If that were the case, then why was WB removed over winter? And why are there markers there? And why was it communicated directly to me from HFEC that it was specifically removed to make way for something new and exciting in 2011?

As I pointed out in my earlier post, in 2007, SDC's next coaster was widely discussed and speculated here as if it was a mere formality for the 2009 season. It's now 2010 and what has been added to the city since? A culinary/craft school and a family water attraction. Both were great additions in their own right, but neither are a new coaster.

I'm as impatient as the next and agree that any new improvements/additions will more than likely be done with great thought and detail.

The simple fact is, nobody here is going to know squat until we read the official press release from HFEC with our own eyes. Hate it, but that's the truth.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 25, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
The simple fact is, nobody here is going to know squat until we read the official press release from HFEC with our own eyes. Hate it, but that's the truth.

You obviously have no idea that someone that posts on this forum works for the park...  And They have posted on this subject.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 25, 2010, 08:11:54 PM »
What I find funny (and maybe this is the wrong thread for this observation) is that every year, they always raise their single day tickets mid-season without question.  I mean, those of us who sell single day tickets KNOW that it's coming around late June/early July.  This year, they didn't do that.  Not once.  Granted, they raised the price about a dollar from the end of 2009's prices to 2010, but they didn't do a mid-year raise like they normally do.

So, maybe SDC is starting to realize that their ticket prices are too high and they NEED to step up to the plate and bring in new attractions before they can justify raising the price?

This year, the park seemed like a ghost town compared to other years.  A friend and I were at SDC either Memorial Day weekend, or Labor Day Weekend... I think it was either Friday or Saturday, I can't remember.  But the place was EMPTY!!! if you would like to reveal your identity and back me up, go ahead  ;) I mean, walk on to Wildfire, Powderkeg, and just about every other ride at the park with no line whatsoever!  In fact, it's been that way just about every time I've been this year, not waiting more than 10 minutes for ANY ride!!!  And it shouldn't be that way!

The economy is still in a sluggish recovery, and despite what another member said about how they don't see how SDC could possibly be hurting this year, I stronly disagree.  I'm sure that I have no idea how much it costs to keep the park running day to day, but I also know that it's got to be outrageous!

Yes, they opened a new ride this year.  Yes, it was their 50th Anniversary.  Yes, their loyal fanbase probably all still bought season passes, but I guarantee you that SDC has hurt this year... and it probably DOES have quite a bit to do with the cost of their tickets!

Nate made a VERY good point that if you announce 2012's plans in 2010, you're going to have a bunch of people buying Six Flag's season passes over SDC's!  While to many of us, it's nearly impossible to even compare the two parks in any way, but not everyone feels the way that we do about SDC!  When I worked at White Water eons ago, the WW guys put up this slide show and showed us that a drastically more significant amount of people who came to WW lived in St. Louis than Kansas City.  At the time, KC had a water park and St. Louis did not.  The difference was ASTOUNDING!!!

If you don't think that SDC competes with Six Flags and Worlds of Fun, you're seriously mistaken.  And, if SDC is going to continue to raise ticket prices, but not deliver on expected additions, then people WILL go elsewhere to buy their season passes... especially if they can get a family of 4 season passes at Six Flags for about 1/3 less than it would cost them to buy SDC season passes!