Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339850 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #615 on: October 22, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
Wow, everyone sure has active imaginations around here! That’s a good thing though.  ;)

I honestly don’t believe Silver Dollar City is even as close to planning, or building, or removing as many attractions, and places around the park as we all want to believe. Most of these ideas, and rumors that we all have been floating around are things that won’t be in place by the Spring of 2011 trust me.

I think we are all stressing over stuff that is years away, if ever.  :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #616 on: October 22, 2010, 10:17:48 AM »
^Nope, water rides are still a massive draw during the summer. They have taken out a few recently, but there were issues behind those removals rather than the park just wanting to reduce water rides. WB's "refurbishment" apparently added a level of danger that the park didn't want to deal with anymore, Splash Harbor needed a major refurb (and it would have been somewhat redundant with RB), and you know what shape Buzzsaw was in.

AP is yet another old favorite that will have to leave the park sooner or later. So many parks have removed Arrow log flumes in the past few years that they've gone from being a staple to being an endangered species.  I think it'll be at least a few years more before AP gets axed however, and when it does, it'll probably be replaced with an excellent new water ride such as a Hopkins flume like DW has or one of the new Intamin flumes that Holiday World got a couple of years ago.

Hope the announcement comes soon before we drive ourselves crazy with rumors.

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
I also wonder that if whatever project goes in that area, if the swinging bridge just wont overlook it..  much like the ramp walkway on the south side of rb.?  That would be nice view assuming it is a kids area, to be able to have a birdseye view of all of them having a good time.. :)

That's an interesting idea!  If they utilized the area on both sides of the swinging bridge, but just kept the swinging bridge to look over the whole thing!  I wonder if there's enough room under it for something like that.  I mean, there's definitely enough room for people to walk under it, but you know how kids are. ;)  They constantly want to jump up to see if they can touch whatever is above them... and if they tried to do that with the swinging bridge, that could bring awful, scary consequences for them AND for the people traveling on the bridge.  But, if there's at least 10 feet of clearance there, then that would certainly be a possibility.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 22, 2010, 10:23:46 AM »
Personally, I don't see the affinity for AP. It's not even a real flume ride. Just a boring, under-themed lazy river with a lift hill and a drop. At some point, I hope it's significantly improved, or razed altogether in favor of something more interesting. I love a good flume ride, but this just isn't one.

P.S. Sorry about the ;) omission from my earlier post. Can't believe anyone fell for that pie in the sky banter. Just goes to show you how passionate we all are about SDC and how anxious we are for some real news.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 10:25:11 AM by BackInTime9 »

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 22, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »
I have memories of having to sit there at AP during Young Heathens Weekend ;) because all of the kids were jumping off the ride.  My job was to sit there... for hours... making sure that kids didn't jump off and go over the fence, which they'd been doing... and getting themselves into a lot of trouble.  ::)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:07 PM »
Well, Ozarks BBQ, I guess I'm a little "wet behind the ears" in regard to your post about not believing rumors. Drying off from the AP as we speak. Ride operator says they're re-building the playground. Better news, the AP is NOT closing :)
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 22, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
I would like to see AP with more of the Jim Owen's elements. Leave it as a log flume, but theme it more like the old ride. I hardly remember the float trip, as a was 6 when it closed. But there is a lot we could do with the theme.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 22, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
Yes Okie, it needs to be updated or it won't survive.

Even during the summer, when it was hot, the line was short. I was 1 when they changed it to the plunge, so I don't know it any other way. They can make any changes they want, as far as I am concerned,except of course, removing the hill portion of the ride:)
Nate

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 22, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
SDC employee saw me peeking through the hole of the fence near my favorite "Non-ADA compliant" bridge and told me that they'll make an announcement in about a week.
I asked if they were closing the swinging bridge and she said no.

My takeaway is to simply enjoy the park, not worry about what "might" happen, and leave the "reporting" to the reporters.

I'm happy that SDC values tradition and family values over politics :)
Nate

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #624 on: October 22, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »
I think most of us will agree that AP was pretty awesome and special ride when all of the old effects were in and working. The old tunnel was the best part of the ride, IMO. Now that it's gone and the entire first half is a solid minute of slow darkness, it's just a so-so ride. A new, revamped flume with a similar theme would be pretty sweet. I really did like the Ozark Society of Daredevils theme.

Anyway, back to the project at hand, they mentioned a playground? Sounds like Half-Dollar Holler will be a part of this after all. It's going to be interesting to see how many of these rumors turn out to be true. It seems like the carousel, balloons, and playground are in the bag. I just hope the theme of the area as a whole is a little more inclusive than "Half-Dollar Holler".

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 22, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
Shavethewhales, what do you mean "more inclusive?" ???

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #626 on: October 22, 2010, 01:21:53 PM »
I should have said "broader", sort of like the Grand Expo. I'm hoping for a theme that fits with Midtown rather than being just a kids area, even though that's pretty much what the old Landing was. Whatever though, I'm just glad to see these elements being brought back for future generations.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 22, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
I agree, Shavethewales. As much as I loved the playground, we live in a different world. People are more "sue happy" and the current playground is not to code. I'd like to see a smaller playground and a broader use of that area.
Nate

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 22, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »
I say everyone needs to calm down about things being removed or changed. DW's spokesperson said that they do things one at a time, they said that they are well aware of things that need to be refurbished or fixed in the park. So, everyone should just chill, realax and think about what SDC is getting in 2011.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 22, 2010, 05:51:42 PM »
yea!  thats what we will do calm down a patiently wait.... NOT!!!  keep the rumors flying, thats what this site is for.. makes for good converstation.. LOL