Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339497 times)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #600 on: October 21, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
The Swinging Bridge, Grandfather's Mansion, Flooded Mine and a few others were "grandfathered" in so they do not have to be ADA-compliant.  Now if they make MAJOR changes to them, they they will lose the "grandfathered" status and will have to become ADA-compliant.

Yeah, I completely understand that.  All I was saying was that saying "there are other routes" implying that the swinging bridge is JUST a "route" to get from one place to another was very insensitive because, at least for me, the swinging bridge is NOT just another route.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #601 on: October 21, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »
^While it may be an attraction, for all intents and purposes it IS just a route.
SWOOSH

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 21, 2010, 10:26:03 PM »
Yes, it's a route, but it's NOT just like every other path at the park, which makes it special.  Implying that it's JUST another way to get from one place to another is simply not true.  Comparing it to a staircase would not be a fair comparison.  It's an attraction.  It's unique.  And, it's something that disabled guests of the park cannot enjoy - unlike a staircase that IS just another route to get from one place to another. As long as there are ramps that go to the same place, and serve the exact same purpose, then all is good.  But you cannot say that other walkways serve the same purpose and have the same qualities as the swinging bridge. They don't.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 10:27:13 PM by Makayna »

chadewb

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 21, 2010, 10:41:11 PM »
I heard that they are going to bring roaring falls to sdc.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #604 on: October 21, 2010, 10:58:26 PM »

Okay, source? :P

I think Roaring Falls has been discussed around here as a possibility, but as of yet I don't see any evidence of it happening. Especially since American Plunge already fills the "down a hill, and splash" role. Now, if they decide to remove the American Plunge, then that could change the playing field a bit.

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 22, 2010, 03:16:39 AM »
Yes....don't take the Swinging Bridge. Not EVERYTHING has to be ADA compliant. If it was, stairs would not exist. We simply have to make an alternate route that is ADA-Compliant...which SDC has plenty of.

With all due respect, I think this is a very insensitive statement.  It's not like the swinging bridge is JUST a walkway - it's an attraction.  Yes, they DO have other walkways, but they DON'T have ADA compliant swinging bridges (I'm certain that such a thing doesn't exist for obvious reasons).  It's an ATTRACTION that many people cannot enjoy.  Imagine that you are a child in a wheelchair.  You go to SDC with some non-disabled friends.  Imagine that you had to sit there and watch them running, jumping, laughing and having fun going across the bridge. Wouldn't you feel a little left out?  Most of the attractions at the City ARE ADA compliant - and the ones that aren't, I fear might get the axe (GF Mansion, for example).

I certainly don't want to see the bridge go any place, but I can also completely understand their reasons for doing so if they did.  And I think saying, "there are plenty of other alternate routes that ARE ADA Compliant" is very insensitive.  No offense... it just bothered me.  :-*

In much the same way that stairs and elevators co-exist in buildings, the swinging bridge and the "toll bridge" near the glass factory (which take you the same place) can co-exist. I appreciate the fact that you don't want to see the swinging bridge go, but to call me "insensitive" for pointing out that ADA requirements have been met by providing an alternate accessible route seems a bit harsh. And you felt the need to re-post my comment twice!

It certainly was not necessary to add a story about a child that was left out of having fun to further illustrate you point. I am certain that the folks on here are smart enough to know what "insensitive" means and envision this terrible scenario on their own. In fact, maybe somebody on this forum is in a situation where they cannot enjoy the park, or has a child that faces this situation. Maybe they didn't want a reminder how disheartening this situation can be. I'm insensitive!?

I must admit I agree with you somewhat that the Swinging bridge is more than just a route to me. It is sad that everybody cannot enjoy everything in the park. Every ride has a weight restriction, some of my best friends cannot even enjoy an amusement park because of this, so believe me...the fact that things are not more accessible bothers me. But I realize that you can't make the park 100% accessible to everybody while keeping all of the wonderful nostalgic things like Grandfather's Mansion, and many other areas of the park that many of us on here have enjoyed for decades and would like to share with future generations.

If you try to cater to everyone, you will not successfully cater to anyone.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:08:42 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate
"I'm not an extraordinary man. But when I put my mind to it,
I'm like Hercules meets Michael Bolton. I can go the distance"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 22, 2010, 05:44:50 AM »
I also wonder that if whatever project goes in that area, if the swinging bridge just wont overlook it..  much like the ramp walkway on the south side of rb.?  That would be nice view assuming it is a kids area, to be able to have a birdseye view of all of them having a good time.. :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #607 on: October 22, 2010, 07:27:10 AM »

Last I heard, that ride was for sale.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 22, 2010, 09:35:05 AM »
Okay, folks. I finally have the real story. In an aggressive and unprecedented move, HFEC will soon announce it's largest contrusction effort to date, which will involve three simultaneous projects to bring multiple new attractions to SDC in 2011.

Roaring Falls will be moved and erected in the newly fenced area at the center of the park. A much anticipated euro-fighter coaster dubbed "VIGILANTE" will transform the wooded terrain at the old Waterboggin' site. Additionally, the carousel and old balloons ride will be placed near the backside of this area to expand The Grand Exposition and provide two means of access to that section of the park. Finally, the American Plunge will be removed to add a massive interactive area for guests of all ages called Hugo's Ozark Mountain Adventure.

Whew. Everybody happy? I'm tickled pink. Can't wait to get me season pass for 2011.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:36:52 AM by BackInTime9 »

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 22, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
Yea!!!!New Roller coaster and they brought the balloons back :) But sad about the American Plunge...Oh well...I didn't ride it that much anyways, not like I did when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:38:39 AM by Nate65807 »
Nate

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 22, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »
NO MORE AMERICAN PLUNGE?!?!?!  :'(

Are they taking out the swinging bridge?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #611 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:06 AM »
Although cramped, I think there is more space in this new development area than we are giving it credit for. I don't think this new ride, shop, attraction, whatever it is, will have any effect on the swinging bridge at all. It will be fine. :)

Plus, I don't think Silver Dollar City constructed the temporary privacy walls by the train station just so they could remove the swinging bridge because of existing disability laws. ;)

Nate65807

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 22, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
It's gonna get up to 76 Degrees today. Just enough time for one last plunge. I gotta go and re-live that memory one more time...even if it is crazy. I'm headed out right now :-)
Nate

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #613 on: October 22, 2010, 09:46:41 AM »
^I don't think you'll have to worry about it just yet.

I was just pondering the fate of the Bridge in the long term, I didn't mean to get people too riled up about it. Sooner or later, we're going to have to come to terms with the fact that some of these original favorites are going to have to make their way out at some point. The Bridge is definitely going to see a lot more action this year - I wonder how they'll handle it?

And BackInTime9, that whole posts needs a winky face at the end so people know it's not serious, lol  ;)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 22, 2010, 09:51:20 AM »
Ya know, it seems that SDC is doing away with almost all of their water rides (with the exception of the new Riverblast and Lost River).  I remember a point in time when the only non-water rides at the park were Thunderation, Flooded Mine (since you don't really get wet) and the kiddie rides at Tom Saywer's Landing... and there were SIX water rides (if you count FITH as a water ride, which I understand the argument against that).

And then, they started systematically opening up non-water rides, and closing some of the existing ones... Buzz Saw, Waterbogan, Splash Harbor.  I wonder if their plan is to do away with all of the water rides except for a couple?