Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339275 times)

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #585 on: October 21, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »
OK, just got home.  So, the area starting just across from the Wooden Indians shop where the wall begins to the end of that wall is 45 paces (roughly 2.5 feet per pace - I have big feet and tried to take Military paces, which are generally 2.5 feet). 

Then, starting at that wall and going to Becca's weaving is 32 paces.

So, a rough estimate of the square footage of this footprint if they DO NOT take out the swinging bridge is 8972 feet (assuming each of my paces is 2.5 feet).

The lady at Becca's Weaving said they'll be putting out a press release next week giving further information. The guy at the knife place said they're putting the carousel there, but that footprint is WAY too big for just the carousel.

This next one is from the swinging bridge:

I also got some pictures of the site itself.  From this next one, you can see that they're going to have a difficult time excavating this.  ESPECIALLY if they take out the swinging bridge!  It's a gorge! This picture is from the bridge where you hear the horse hooves and the baseball guy is. It shows how big of an area it would be if they take out the swinging bridge - well, best I could do anyways.  You can see the swinging bridge, and then the one above shows from the bridge itself, so the area would be downright gigantic if they took out the swinging bridge. You can also see from this pic that there's quite a bit of depth to that spot, and making it level will be tricky and might take a while.

Here's another picture showing the gorge and the small pond they will have to contend with.  Taken from the swinging bridge:

These pictures were taken from a tiny crack in the wall by Becca's Weaving:

And, some more random pics that show the layout of the site:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 03:52:44 PM by Makayna »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #586 on: October 21, 2010, 03:59:07 PM »
Interesting, seems like everyone is saying a carousel will be part of what's going there. Other people have said they were told the balloons and a CC kiddie ride would go in there as well.

Seems like it might be a bit crowded, and it might hurt the ambiance of that area, but I assume they have a good plan to make it all fit in well. I could see a carousel being set up against the corner to help brighten up the square. The Balloons have a good spread, so they'd have to be farther back - probably fairly close to the Woodshop. Anything else could be tucked in behind Becka's Weaving, maybe with a path going around the building... I still wonder if a playground would be part of this or not.

I'll be anxious to see what kind of theming they will do to make this area flow with the rest of the park. The Balloons would look great with a steampunk/woodworker/antique flying contraption theme, if they are indeed coming back.

Not much longer now until we know for sure. What's the day most parks announce things? It's either Tuesday or Thursday...

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 21, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
Their last press releases were as follows:

9/8 (Wednesday)
8/11 (Wednesday)
5/10 (Monday)
5/6 (Thursday)
3/10 (Wednesday)
2/24 (Wednesday)

My bet is on Wednesday! ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 04:08:10 PM by Makayna »

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 21, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
Still think it's going to be much ado about nothing.  Rehashed rides....exciting?  Don't think so.  Like I'ved said it was going to be a minimum of a capital out lay this year.  The real money went elsewhere.  After all, look at all the money they spent on the anniversary year...lol.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 21, 2010, 05:18:05 PM »
Good info Makayna. I'd like to see the balloons and the carousel. Maybe a playground for the kids. I must admit I am old fashioned. In 4 days at SDC this year, I did not ride any coaster except FiTH. Too much other stuff to do.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 21, 2010, 05:24:17 PM »
great pics maykana... lots of info too...  i would guess mid nov. before they announce for sure, we will see..  i will be there sunday going to ask some questions.   and of course, more pics..48 hours///

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 21, 2010, 05:27:07 PM »
I just don't see how they could fit the carousel AND the ride from CC AND the Balloons AND a playground in that area... unless they nix the swinging bridge.  So.... I'm hoping for no playground in this area! ;)

As for it being a low-budget affair, I agree.  They're not building any NEW rides, and certainly no coasters... just some rides that had to get the axe elsewhere that were still somewhat popular and/or would be MORE popular in a different, more noticable area.  But... I don't think we're "making a big deal" or anything.  I mean, we may as well talk about it!  What else big and exciting is there for us to talk about here?! ;)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:31 PM »
The carousel would fit where the smoking area is, and perhaps the rest of what's boarded up will be Half-Dollar Holler?* Or some kind of kiddie play area that makes up for Huck Finn's Hideaway & Tom Sawyer's rope stuff being closed, something that can possibly be built to the curvature of the land, instead of attempting to fill the gorge? Maybe the swinging bridge will remain and perhaps be a part of the outskirts of the "attraction"?

*BTW, I can't remember: did anyone post the description that went with the picture on the survey?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 21, 2010, 06:06:06 PM »

I'll be anxious to see what kind of theming they will do to make this area flow with the rest of the park. The Balloons would look great with a steampunk/woodworker/antique flying contraption theme, if they are indeed coming back.

Not much longer now until we know for sure. What's the day most parks announce things? It's either Tuesday or Thursday...
[/quote]

Great idea for the baloons!  A Steampunk thing would be awesome.  SDC, ARE YOU LISTENING? We're going this weekend- I'll post when we get back of updates and/or announcements.
I'm Your Huckleberry

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 21, 2010, 06:13:34 PM »
makayana-love the between the crack picture. I felt all spy-ish. naughty even! Those were great pictures to wet the whistle of my mind! Great job being nosey!!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 21, 2010, 07:23:08 PM »
 ;) :-X :o

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics, Swoosh. I'm still not biting though. If this "new location" is in fact the site of "the" 2011 project, why would HFEC specifically tell me WB was dismantled to make way for an "exciting adventure" in 2011? Who's to say we won't see a couple re-purposed rides added to the fenced area, as well as an entirely new attraction at the WB site in 2011? Heck, at this point, they could be adding a 300 ft. hyper coaster that towers over the entire park. Mass collusion I tell you.
I got the same message as you just a couple of weeks ago from an HFEC rep....
Colorado SDC Fan

Makayna

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 21, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »
Yes....don't take the Swinging Bridge. Not EVERYTHING has to be ADA compliant. If it was, stairs would not exist. We simply have to make an alternate route that is ADA-Compliant...which SDC has plenty of.

With all due respect, I think this is a very insensitive statement.  It's not like the swinging bridge is JUST a walkway - it's an attraction.  Yes, they DO have other walkways, but they DON'T have ADA compliant swinging bridges (I'm certain that such a thing doesn't exist for obvious reasons).  It's an ATTRACTION that many people cannot enjoy.  Imagine that you are a child in a wheelchair.  You go to SDC with some non-disabled friends.  Imagine that you had to sit there and watch them running, jumping, laughing and having fun going across the bridge. Wouldn't you feel a little left out?  Most of the attractions at the City ARE ADA compliant - and the ones that aren't, I fear might get the axe (GF Mansion, for example).

I certainly don't want to see the bridge go any place, but I can also completely understand their reasons for doing so if they did.  And I think saying, "there are plenty of other alternate routes that ARE ADA Compliant" is very insensitive.  No offense... it just bothered me.  :-*

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #598 on: October 21, 2010, 09:47:11 PM »
The Swinging Bridge, Grandfather's Mansion, Flooded Mine and a few others were "grandfathered" in so they do not have to be ADA-compliant.  Now if they make MAJOR changes to them, they they will lose the "grandfathered" status and will have to become ADA-compliant.

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #599 on: October 21, 2010, 09:52:55 PM »
Still think it's going to be much ado about nothing.  Rehashed rides....exciting?  Don't think so.  Like I'ved said it was going to be a minimum of a capital out lay this year.  The real money went elsewhere.  After all, look at all the money they spent on the anniversary year...lol.

Oh I think it's pretty exciting. This is a good time to add back in some good family-oriented flats and spruce up this nook of the park. This area has been increasingly becoming just a place to pass through, but with these additions midtown will feel more extended and lively. Plus, anything that helps spread people out is a bonus.

It's especially good if they can do it in a way that leaves more space and money for a big attraction in '12.

Does anyone think 'Half-Dollar Holler' will be the theme of this new sub-area? I can't think of anything they could specifically theme it to, unless they're going to extend the Huck Finn theme up there too. I hope they have as good a plan as they did for RiverBlast.