Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337335 times)

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #540 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
I have always thought an old time circus under a big top tent, with sawdust on the ground, three rings, and acts like clowns, trained chimps, trained horses, trained dogs, an acrobat, trapeze artists, and such would go over well. As a side show attraction prior to entering the tent, have a sword swallower, rubber faced man, jugglers, magicians, and so on. Maybe some caged animals like apes, lions, tigers, bears...oh my! Maybe call it the Herschend Brothers Three Ring Circus and Sideshow Attractions!?!? Maybe it could be placed in the Grand Exposition Area, or around Lake Silver...it would be perfect as a limited attraction for say, Kidsfest. Whadda think?

No

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 13, 2010, 11:44:15 PM »
So apparently there is a storyline that has been written about the Grand Exposition, I had never heard it, let’s see if you guys have.  Around the turn of the last century there was to be a Worlds Fair, but do to unforeseen circumstances the fair never happened and instead of letting the attractions sit idle the fair began to travel and low and behold it made its way into the Ozarks.  I guess this story is loosely based on a real fair, not one hundred percent of the accuracy.  But there you go that is the story line.  I don’t mind the rides, I just wish they were themed better than what we got.

What I do think we need besides an amazingly highly themed coaster… a few attractions which allow any child or guest to ride with little to no restrictions.  Where this could go and what could it include, I’ll let you guess?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:25:09 PM by Copper »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »
3 ring circus for the kids.. (and adults)..   sounds like an interesting concept.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
The most important thing about Grand Expo. is that it's mean't for kids. Also, I think the Circus idea is a bad thing because it will clash with themeing.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #544 on: October 14, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
I don't care for a circus theme either.  It pretty much flopped when they tried that out for KidsFest
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: October 15, 2010, 03:08:16 AM »
 ???

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: October 15, 2010, 07:50:38 AM »
A travelling circus was a popular thing for folks to see in the 1880s through the 1940s. Circus acts did not pass regularly through the heart of the Ozarks, but likely visited Joplin, Springfield, and other larger towns on a regular basis. Yes, a circus would be in theme...so long as there were not any motorcycle acts, and at SDC you would not want to see a freak show as a sideshow attraction. M.E. Oliver was a noted illustrator and author from Madison County, Arkansas, who, in one of his books, described a circus that came to a little town he lived in: "Jumbo (the elephant) and Drakes Creek (Arkansas). One of the first circuses and probably the largest elephant ever shown in the Ozarks, came to Drakes Creek in 1893."  If SDC put together their own circus for a Kidsfest, they certainly could keep it in theme. There are several circuses in the US. In fact, I think Hugo, Oklahoma in years past was the winter home to one or two circuses, and a local cemetery is full of the graves of old circus acts. That ain't too far away from the Ozarks. Likely, those circuses would have passed through the Ozarks. How about a WILD WEST SHOW? A Wild West Show is a circus, too...instead of clowns and arcobats, you would have cowboys and Indians...WHOOPS! Indians! NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT!  ;) 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
The circus is not a bad idea but I would definitely go for a Wild West Show!  I even talked to some Citizens about having one at Echo Hollow and they said the problem they saw with that was another place to keep and store the animals and getting them in and out of Echo Hollow.  I begged for years for SDC to do a Western-type festival and I believe that's where the Salute to the Great American Cowboy/Cowgirl came about.  So they certainly do listen to input from customers.  Now if they'd just bring it back for next year...
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 15, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
I like the idea, however I wish Frontier City in Oklahoma would embrace that more, rather than being a six flags wanna be. I think it should be more like a Silver Dollar City just with more of a western theme. I don't know the history. Were there a lot of cowboys in the Ozarks?

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 15, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »
I'm feeling pretty sure that we are going to see an Adventure Mountain type of attraction in the Waterboggin' area next Spring....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:03:23 AM by joshblakebran »
Colorado SDC Fan

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 18, 2010, 10:11:06 PM »
Didn't they present a wild west show as an idea in a survey once? I seem to recall one of the ideas presented being a Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.

I want THAT.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:32 PM »
Don't think you will see an Adventure Mountain any time soon st SDC. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:47 AM »
I like the idea, however I wish Frontier City in Oklahoma would embrace that more, rather than being a six flags wanna be. I think it should be more like a Silver Dollar City just with more of a western theme. I don't know the history. Were there a lot of cowboys in the Ozarks? 
Posted on: October 15, 2010, 09:34:32 AM

There is a lot of western history associated with the area.  James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickok had a "High Noon" type shootout with Dave Tutt on the city square in Springfield in July 1865; Cowboy Artist Charlie Russell was born in Missouri; the James boys and the Youngers were what I would consider "Wild West" and they were all from Missouri, etc.  I guess it's not "cowboy" like Texas or Oklahoma but it's close enough for me!
I'm Your Huckleberry

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 19, 2010, 12:16:50 PM »
I guess I just feel sorry for all them horse having to walk those steep hills.

Seems its a lot easier for them out here where it's flat

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 19, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »
I hear ya!  Probably why the 'Missouri Mule' is more famous than the 'Missouri Horse'.
I'm Your Huckleberry