Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337204 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #525 on: October 10, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
Like I said a month or so ago, a lot of major attractions at SDC aren't announced until late October or November. There's no evidence that we'll see anything major next year, but there's certainly been years where we've been surprised. TGS kind of came out of nowhere and was announced in early November, IIRC. I think they had only begun clearing land for it when the announcement was made.

So far we only have definitive proof of the Half-Dollar Holler concept being planned...

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 10, 2010, 09:05:53 PM »
Where did the last several posts go? They seem to have mysteriously disappeared.  ???

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2010, 09:35:33 PM »
They got split off into a new topic
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 11, 2010, 09:47:04 AM »
Missed that. Thanks, Swoosh.

I must say, my Saturday visit was a great reminder of just how special the three coasters are at SDC. From theme to the actual ride experience itself, HFEC hit home runs with TNT, PK and WF as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry if this is more in-line with a new ride idea versus what could be coming in the next year or two, but I wanted to throw it out there. While I am hopeful another great coaster will be added sometime soon, what would all of you think about HFEC working with S&S again to enhance PK even more by extending the track layout? I think their could be a very cool opportunity to extend the ride into the wooded loop area between train tracks. For instance, what if instead of the last turn that leads to the lift hill, the ride continued into a tunnel that took it under the train tracks and into another series of twists, turns and hills before going back under or over the tracks to hit the lift hill for one last drop? Might even allow an opportunity to add a third train to the circuit for added rider capacity. And I would think such an enhancement would not only be a well received one, but probably more economical than having to commit to an entire new attraction. That is, if they are planning to add a MAJOR attraction soon.

There's a lot of real estate in between the tracks that could possibly be utilized to make a fantastic coaster a little longer and even more enjoyable than it is now.

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:09:45 AM by BackInTime9 »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 11, 2010, 10:06:29 AM »
To get us back on topic........

There is an area that no one has mentioned.  I think people should continue to speculate, I like this because people come up with some great ideas when they do this.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 11, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »
See my last post just above.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 11, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
Lengthening the track would make for an enhanced experience, but also would increase ride time and reduce capacity. When you have capacity issues you have another diving bell...then it's goodbye time so a shorter ride length attraction can be put in its place. I can tell  you, American Plunge ride time is about half the time the old float trip was. FITH is nice, and has been refurbished, but a few years ago they took out a section of track to shorten the ride and increase capacity. In my day, they moved over a million people a year through the park...today, it's over two million. (Keep the line moving, son, step lively now!) ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 11, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
Fair enough. I guess if it aint broke, don't fix it. I just assumed the possible addition of a third train would offset any issues with a potentially longer circuit. One more fun thing to ponder anyway.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 11, 2010, 07:53:22 PM »
I have noticed SDC is like a big circle, I kind of wish they would expand out instead of removing rides to add a new one. Like waterboggan, Carousel, Balloons ETC.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #534 on: October 11, 2010, 08:52:13 PM »
It's more like a figure-8 with a tumor (Grand Expo)
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 12, 2010, 03:15:32 AM »
it does seem to be expanded within the circle. rather than the outskirts... pk and rb are perfect examples//  wb is gone and obviously will be replaced.. while else disassemble it..  the expo was an added area, but very limited......I wonder ??? ???

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 12, 2010, 04:56:07 PM »
Maybe instead of putting something new in the waterboggan area, they will just re-build the waterboggan. I know this sounds crazy but it is a possibilty, because now that DW is removing the Dreamland Forest treehouses for Barnstormer, and removing other old things in Dreamland to make room for the barnyard themed playgrounds, they said they would NOT remove Mountain Slidewinder because it was a Dollywood Classic, so maybe they will rebuild it.

chitlins

• View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 13, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
I get the idea behind the Grand Exposition. I get that Silver Dollar City is themed to be an early 1900 Ozark experience. I also know that in this era World Fairs where popular and St. Louis even hosted one and thats where I think the whole Grand Expo theme came from and how they tied it to SDC. I don't mind it one bit. My kids that are 6 and 8 favor those rides as well and it keeps us from having to go to county fairs and such to experience those types of rides. That said theres two glaring omissions that fit the World's Fair theme. Carousel and Ferris Wheel.

I also would like to see a ski lift type ride if they expand down hill

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 13, 2010, 08:06:16 PM »
i agree chitlins,the expo is a nice addition and i feel a needed addition for the kids... after all. isnt that whats it really is all about? yes we want it themed. and it is... but it is for the kids.. that is where "our" pleasure comes from is the kids having fun.  and  having someplace to take them they will remember.... not six flags,  not worlds of fun not just another theme park....Silver Dollar City is for family fun and memories..

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 13, 2010, 08:56:12 PM »
I have always thought an old time circus under a big top tent, with sawdust on the ground, three rings, and acts like clowns, trained chimps, trained horses, trained dogs, an acrobat, trapeze artists, and such would go over well. As a side show attraction prior to entering the tent, have a sword swallower, rubber faced man, jugglers, magicians, and so on. Maybe some caged animals like apes, lions, tigers, bears...oh my! Maybe call it the Herschend Brothers Three Ring Circus and Sideshow Attractions!?!? Maybe it could be placed in the Grand Exposition Area, or around Lake Silver...it would be perfect as a limited attraction for say, Kidsfest. Whadda think?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"