Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337144 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #495 on: September 29, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
I still say its an escalator on hugos hill. Thats quite a thrill ride for those pounding the pavement all day!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 29, 2010, 06:58:27 PM »
I can personally attest that there are at least three of us (myself included -- and there maybe more) on here that do know what is coming next year.  Do we like to miss with you and send false hints every so often -- of course we do.  However if you look back through this thread all three of us have said to keep an eye on the Wilderness Waterboggan area in one form or another.

Just be patient.  Marketing clues should be coming out any day now.

Well then why didn't anyone have the marbles to tell us the Waterboggan area was in fact the next site for development from day one? It's not as if that's letting the proverbial cat out of bag. And it's not as if one of you happened to drop a hint about that area that started this thread early on. When WB came down, the speculation began.

I'm all for keeping confidential information under raps, but misleading other readers here just for the sake of conversation is pretty shady. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:59:48 PM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #497 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:28 PM »
Well then why didn't anyone have the marbles to tell us the Waterboggan area was in fact the next site for development from day one? It's not as if that's letting the proverbial cat out of bag.

Because even though it appears as if things are "cut and dry" when it comes to announcements, it's not.  Things change and shoot we've seen entire projects completely cancelled when we thought they were a go.  Fact of the matter is, we really don't have to say anything, but the three of us have.  We told you there were clues if you knew where to look for them.  One person mentioned the flags on the WB lot and I believe all three of us confirmed you should look there.  I will admit it was humorous watching some of the other guesses... and who is to say some of that won't happen eventually?  In the end it comes down to the fact that it is NOT our money that is being spent on the capital improvements and thus we do not feel that it is our place to let the cat out of the bag for the park.  They have their own time agenda and while I cannot speak for the other two, I will respect that.
SWOOSH

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 29, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
I'm not sure I would call it shady.  I think that some people enjoy the attention they get when they insinuate they know what is going on.  It's easy to say you know what is going on when you don't have to give your sources or say what you know.  Its equally as easy to say that a new ride is going to be where WB was....not a long shot since it was torn down.

And you are correct...projects have been cancelled.  Heck its easy to cancel something that was never announced isn't it.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 29, 2010, 08:49:57 PM »
I respect and appreciate that, Swoosh. And in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. To your point, we've seen things change or get put on hold in the past so I completely understand why HFEC and other "in the know" keep things hush hush until the official press release. Just wish it would have been confirmed when they removed WB that this would be the site for something new to anticipate for 2011.

Gotta say, an AM attraction seems like it appeals to a very narrow demographic (I'm guessing 8-15). I assume it's only a matter of time before we get one given the fact that SDC and DW seem to swap attraction concepts so often now. But I have to say, given the AM concept art for DW, it looks like this is exactly what they plan to fill the WB area. I just wouldn't understand the site choice, or the timing. As I've said many times before, the park is already lopsided as it is. You have your biggest rides one side of the park (WF,PK) and your kiddie area at the opposite end (GE,GG). And they just opened a kid/family attraction in RB this year. Just doesn't jive to me, but what do I know?.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:53:21 PM by BackInTime9 »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 29, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:55:05 PM by BackInTime9 »

krash9924

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 30, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
Just wanted to say thanks to Swoosh and others in the know for giving us what info they can.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:41:56 PM by krash9924 »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 01, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
Someone posted a modified image that shows how Half-Dollar Holler would fit perfectly over in the area between Wildfire and Powderkeg.

I'm willing to bet that discussions are happening for both areas--there and where the Waterboggan was--but we (the general public; not those "in the know) just don't know which area is getting developed first.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 01, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »
I wouldn't mind one of those two areas being filled with new shops and/or some more hands/on period appropriate activities similar to the candle shop. As far as I'm concerned, the entire park is a giant playground in an of itself with plenty of fun and areas suited for patrons of all ages. That's one of the main reasons I'm so vocal about and opposed to the AM concept. If we're going to see another area specifically designed for kids, can they not make it something other than another place to just burn off some steam? Maybe my vision of what AM actually offers is significantly skewed, but I just don't see any real value in it. Okay, that's my last soap box about an AM scenario until we get some real news from HFEC on the next attraction.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #504 on: October 01, 2010, 03:24:40 PM »
More hands-on activities would be fantastic. There's are loads of examples out there that are fun, engaging, and educational all at once, and those experiences would really set the park apart more than just throwing in some kiddie rides and calling it a "family" section. I'd also like to see them re-invent some of the shop concepts. I think the new HP area at UO shows how engaging a themed shopping experience could be. A lot of the shops have lost their significance over time, so it feels less and less like an experience going into any of them.

Unfortunately, I don't think the park is ready to take that step yet, but I have hopes they'll start moving that direction soon. I think it's fairly obvious that this year is going to be focused on competing for young family crowds with WOF, local branson attractions, and SF. With that in mind, I don't know what else they would consider adding except a re-hash of the AM concept or some of the old CC rides plus the old Balloons, or a mix of both. It doesn't seem like a lot to look forward to from our standpoint, but it will definitely help the park remain competitive with young families, which means there'll be more cap. to spend on other stuff in 2012.

Who knows though, they could have something completely different in store. Can't be too long till we find out for sure.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 03:26:39 PM by shavethewhales »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #505 on: October 02, 2010, 11:11:51 AM »
I'm at the point of being disappointed with the whole mess.  It appears that they are reading our posts here and then doing just the opposite of what we express.  In that case, maybe they should start doing rocket launches, have NASA put on a display, and discuss alternative fuels!  Say, around October 20th.  That would fit sooo well with the theme and wouldn't ruin my experience at all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:13:25 AM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 02, 2010, 01:24:58 PM »
Corn likker is a good alternative fuel. They should put in a working still.  ;D

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »
Just left the park and I saw no markers of any kind...anywhere.  The ones that were so prominent around WB are gone.  Maybe they have served their purpose....whatever that was.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 03, 2010, 10:58:23 PM »
Just left the park and I saw no markers of any kind...anywhere.  The ones that were so prominent around WB are gone.  Maybe they have served their purpose....whatever that was.

Bummer. Gotta figure we'll be hearing something soon.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2010, 11:37:41 PM »
I'm at the point of being disappointed with the whole mess.  It appears that they are reading our posts here and then doing just the opposite of what we express.  In that case, maybe they should start doing rocket launches, have NASA put on a display, and discuss alternative fuels!  Say, around October 20th.  That would fit sooo well with the theme and wouldn't ruin my experience at all.
I'm with you, HB!!!  I'm sick of all this talk about new thrill rides like that dopey and far-too-scary Mystery Mine ride at DW.  I say let Disney have all those highly themed dark rides and animatronic figures!  What SDC needs is more merry-go-rounds!  Put one in every corner of the park.  Then how about adding an all-night dance party with music by Michael Jackson and Lady Gaga! 
(Do you really think this whole reverse psychology thing will work???)
In His grip!