Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339873 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #420 on: September 02, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
I just hope it's not a freakin Zip Line. But looking at the area and terrain and the fact the bogin tower would make a good launch point.

Branson already has too many of these, I just hope it's not a Zip line.

It's not a zip line.  Now it might be a ropes course, but it will not be a zip line
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 02, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

I don't think they would do a Zipline.
While I was in DW there wasn't anyone using there ziplines at all.
Mistake they will not repeat.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #422 on: September 02, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »
The Ziplines at DW are operated by an outside company and not the park... FWIW
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #423 on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »
I'm just playing with bogus ideas in my head, but if they were to install some type of rappel, or ropes attraction onto the Waterboggan Tower then at least it would be cheap to build!  ;)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #424 on: September 03, 2010, 12:40:36 AM »
If they add a zip line it would probably be one small part of an AM/HDH complex at the bottom. The overall package would be a unique, family-friendly, and crowd eating experience, so I wouldn't be let down at all. I'm not going to hold out hope for anything else at this point. We might not be getting anything at all at this point. The last several years have been pretty strange.

A new flat would be a nice surprise though, but I just don't see anything the park would add besides the S&S double shot from CC. A HUSS ride that actually works would be pretty sweet, if only the circumstances with the manufacturer were different. Something like Talocan in a mine pit... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CcnACD0os
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:41:40 AM by shavethewhales »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:10 AM »
All this talk about zip lines is funny to me! They look like a lot of fun, and if I was younger and thinner, I'd try one out. When Tom Sawyer's Landing was built in 1980, sometimes the guys from the diving bell would go on up there to assist the other attendants. There was a cable slide...(what I would call a very low to the ground, kid friendly zip line)...and it was removed after a couple of seasons because some kid did not listen to instructions given to him by an attendant, and went crashing down to the board wall at the opposite end. Rumor I heard was someone threatened to sue, so, guess what? Goodbye cable slide! Same thing with a fireman's pole that was in the Tom Sawyer's landing playground area. It left after part of only one season, if I remember correctly. Now, all these years later, we've got cable slides (zip lines) way up high in the air for adults and kids? Are people signing disclaimers prior to riding, saying they won't sue if they screw up and get themselves hurt? Oh well, life goes on... ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:44 AM »
In my opinion, SDC does not need an AM type area at all. I personally don't think anyone over the age of 12 is going to have much interest in spending time in or on a glorified playground.

They may well be planning on bringing something similar to the park, but I don't believe HFEC would immediately follow a family-friendly ride like RB with another addition specifically geared toward a younger audience or families. Their track record of park additions/improvements has proven there's a better chance of that not happening next.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 03, 2010, 10:24:54 PM »

I am tired of waiting for an announcement myself.
I watch this thread but see notihng new.
Has anyone asked at the park while they were there?
I was in Dollywood this summer and was told that the swing was coming next year, before this was announced publicly just a few weeks ago.
Maybe they need to be asked.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 03, 2010, 10:59:22 PM »
Supposedly there are people around here who claim that they know, but they are not peeping a word.  :-X

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 03, 2010, 11:38:01 PM »

I am tired of waiting for an announcement myself.
I watch this thread but see notihng new.
Has anyone asked at the park while they were there?
I was in Dollywood this summer and was told that the swing was coming next year, before this was announced publicly just a few weeks ago.
Maybe they need to be asked.

A-freaking-men. I keep re-hashing the same thoughts as if it's offering some sort of therapy for this ridiculous wait. If we do not hear anything definitive this month, I will be certain to ask every SDC employee I see the first week of October when I visit the city.

It's really silly that we've heard nothing official. Even if they simply released a statement about the type of ride or an annoucement regarding when and where the next attraction would be opening at SDC. Anything.

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 04, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
Are we even sure that there is going to be a major addition for 2011?  Have we got any indication from Atlanta that they have something planned?  It seems like a major capital outlay to do something major at DW and SDC.  There might be something, but it might not be something to get all worked up over....Half-dollar Hollow wouldnt be such a big deal.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 04, 2010, 11:53:50 AM »
Of course there is something planed! Haven't you seen all of the flag markers by the old Waterboggan Tower?  ;)

I'm just teasing, but I believe the general consensus is that there will at least be the groundbreaking of a new attraction sometime this year.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 06, 2010, 07:45:10 AM »
I am starting to think we might not get anything big this next year.  If it was just something small or a ride thay brought back what would you like to see?  I say the Baloons and the Carasel....   But that's just for my girls...
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 06, 2010, 08:06:17 AM »
The Balloon Ride! ;D

Always being fascinated by air travel, the Balloon ride was my childhood favorite. Sure I am a bit sentimental, but it is a dream of mine to have the Balloon Ride back up, and "flying" again.  :)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 06, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »
I was never a big fan of the balloon ride myself. Though I rode it plenty, I was not a big fan of the round and round motion as I became older. I thought at one point when it was removed that it would resurface in the park at a later time.