Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337270 times)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #375 on: August 25, 2010, 05:47:16 PM »
I am going fri sat and sun. I will try to get some pics of them.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Enjoy

« Reply #376 on: August 26, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »
I was trying to find where the Half Dollar Holler/ "Adventure Mountain" concept would be located in the park by using the blueprint of the attraction from the survey. I enlarged the picture by 400% and highlighted in blue the surrounding structures around the new attraction. I looked at it for a long time and it just did not fit into the Waterboggan/ Splash Harbor area. After searching around the entire park, it seems to fit the other side of the park very similarly. Right across from PowderKeg. Take a look at the park map and compare the two.

What do you guys think?

Enjoy

God Bless

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #377 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »
Hmm, that's an interesting thought. I don't know much about that area, but looking on Google Maps it looks like there's some room there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=silver+dollar+city&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.784549,86.572266&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Silver+Dollar+City,+Indian+Point,+Stone,+Missouri&ll=36.668995,-93.341571&spn=0.001962,0.005284&t=h&z=18

It would certainly help balance out the park to put it there.

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 26, 2010, 04:19:35 PM »
that is def a posibility. I will check it out tomorrow when i head down there. If you have anything you want pictures of let me know.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 26, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
2 thoughts on that diagram.
If they did that & its possible.  They would probably open up the walkway near Wildfire as it would really not be possible to have the shows at the Operah house that close without some other traffic relief. Its too much of a bottleneck as it is.
  The other thing is the water fall would need some work done to the backside as it is pretty raw back there.
The land would probably also need to be sculpted on that bank.  But if you consider the views of the water fall and the ability to see the activity from the restaurant it will either benefit the area or take away the sereneness.
Personally I think the area there is possible but what will they do for the people waiting for the theater, its such a mess now.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 27, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
I actually see something like this coming to SDC next year.

OMG IT'S MY 40th POST!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 04:39:19 PM by dwfan »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #381 on: August 27, 2010, 05:41:03 PM »
I had forgotten how detailed the plans are for Half-Dollar Holler. Surely they didn't have those drawn up just to ask people's opinion about the project? Considering the amount of people bemoaning the loss of various kid's attractions at the park and complaining that the happy frogs are the only thing their small child can do, this looks like just the thing for the park.

I feel the need to point out this though: http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4799585&id=23030364094&comments  ;D

I wonder if it's a HFEC project? The only park that needs a wooden coaster is SDC though, so unless someone can spot this at the park it's probably an independent park project.

EDIT: Nope, it's just a new building for GCII. There goes that far-fetched hope.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 06:26:58 PM by shavethewhales »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 28, 2010, 09:13:00 PM »
Considering the amount of people bemoaning the loss of various kid's attractions at the park and complaining that the happy frogs are the only thing their small child can do, this looks like just the thing for the park.

I respectfully disagree. And I'm curious how anyone with children could argue that there's nothing for their kids to do in the park. On the contrary, I feel SDC's attractions are already too heavily geared toward a younger target audience. We brought our two year old with us last September and he was able to go on everything in the park except the electrospin, TNT, PK, WF and TGS. That's five rides folks. Five. And had RB been open he would have been able to go on that as well.

An Adventure Mountain type attraction may have it's place at SDC, but NOT NOW. I appreciate the fact that HFEC has built the park to cater to the entire family, but they must continue to add thrill rides if they're going to be able to keep the park thriving. Sure, SDC is somewhat of a niche destination given the theme and craftsmen angle, but alienating guests who also want to visit for big rides would not be a wise or popular move. And they've already proven that fact. Just look at the park 10 years ago
compared to today. In the year 2000, SDC operated without WF, PK, TGS, GE and RB. Virtually all of the major attractions at the park we love today weren't there a decade ago. That's good news that HFEC is in-tune with not only what guests crave, but what they need to add to remain competitive as well.

That said, bring on more thrills. It's time.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #383 on: August 28, 2010, 09:41:19 PM »
they must continue to add thrill rides if they're going to be able to keep the park thriving.

People who are "looking for thrills" really only visit during June-August.  The rest of the year, March-May.  Sept-Dec, that is really not the case.  Thrills are pretty under control right now... in all honesty, the park doesn't "need" anything.  It is very well rounded as is.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
People who are "looking for thrills" really only visit during June-August.  The rest of the year, March-May.  Sept-Dec, that is really not the case.  Thrills are pretty under control right now... in all honesty, the park doesn't "need" anything.  It is very well rounded as is.

That may be, but I would be very curious to see what the average and seasonal attendance numbers looked like 10 years ago compared to now. Sure, people were coming to the park before SDC featured the thrills offered there today, but HFEC added those attractions for a reason.

If you look at any amusement/theme park in the country you'll see the same trend. From Cedar Point to Six Flags St. Louis, everyone is adding bigger, better rides to stay competitive and sustain their numbers. 

Had it not been for a lousy economy, I would argue that we would already be riding a new coaster at SDC. After all, RB was originally supposed to open in 2008 or 2009, was it not?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:41:11 AM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2010, 08:16:20 AM »
If you look at any amusement/theme park in the country...

See there is the problem with the way you are thinking, SDC is NOT just "any amusement/theme park in the country" -- you would be better off comparing it to a Disney park.  You'll notice that those parks don't go crazy adding thrill ride after thrill ride every year as well, and they are doing quite well.  SDC is Disney of the midwest and they need to stick true to who they are and not just plop in a thrill ride because "that's what the thrillseekers want"
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2010, 08:18:53 AM »
Had it not been for a lousy economy, I would argue that we would already be riding a new coaster at SDC. After all, RB was originally supposed to open in 2008 or 2009, was it not?

Speaking of that, what really amazes me is how Silver Dollar City has been pumping out a new attraction every single year in the last five years! First there was PowderKeg in 2005, The Grand Exposition in 2006, The Giant Swing in 2007, the Culinary School in 2008, and originally River Blast in 2009.

Silver Dollar City has been expanding like Wildfire! No pun intended. ;) They certainly didn't pump out new attractions at this rate years ago.

Silver Dollar City seems to be broadening their appeal with all of these new attractions. For example you have PowderKeg, and the Giant Swing geared towards the thrill seekers, then you have The Grand Exposition, and River Blast devoted to children, and then there is the Culinary School for the folks who want to take it slow for a while. There's truly something for everyone at Silver Dollar City! :D

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »
I think they try to do "something" new every year- be it a ride, festival, show- that will give the average vistor a reason to get excited and return to the park.  By "average visitor" I'm not talking about those on this site who are fanatical and buy Season Passes year after year and go as many times as we can!  But I think the reasoning for adding something new is for the visitor that says "we can go to SDC but it's the exact same thing as last year.  Let's go somewhere else".  It gets guests "fired up" and antcipating the new thing.  Just my opinion...
I'm Your Huckleberry

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:03 PM »
See there is the problem with the way you are thinking, SDC is NOT just "any amusement/theme park in the country" -- you would be better off comparing it to a Disney park.  You'll notice that those parks don't go crazy adding thrill ride after thrill ride every year as well, and they are doing quite well.  SDC is Disney of the midwest and they need to stick true to who they are and not just plop in a thrill ride because "that's what the thrillseekers want"

No disrespect, Swoosh, but SDC and the Disney Corporation shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Disney is and always will be in an entertainment stratosphere no other amusement/entertainment company can touch. And they "don't go crazy adding thrill ride after thrill ride every year" because they don't have to. They have more equity in their brand than anyone in the world of entertainment. Not to mention multiple parks and experiences within all of those parks in multiple locales. They're in the enviable position of not having to chase anyone. They continue to set the theme park standard. Has anyone every seen a famous celebrity or athlete celebrate a magical moment by saying, "I'm going to Silver Dollar City"? I would be shocked if half of the population outside of the greater midwest has even heard of our beloved SDC. But that's okay. I have no problem at all with it being our diamond in the rough.

As I said in an earlier post, HFEC has proven they're listening by significantly adding to and upgrading the entire park experience at SDC over the last 10 years. And I think we all agree they've done a marvelous job balancing those additions over the last decade.

Based on those additions and that 10 year window, I would think another more thrill-oriented addition is next.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »
No disrespect, Swoosh, but SDC and the Disney Corporation shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. Disney is and always will be in an entertainment stratosphere no other amusement/entertainment company can touch. And they "don't go crazy adding thrill ride after thrill ride every year" because they don't have to. They have more equity in their brand than anyone in the world of entertainment. Not to mention multiple parks and experiences within all of those parks in multiple locales. They're in the enviable position of not having to chase anyone. They continue to set the theme park standard.

I think the point that so many try to make here is that SDC used to set their own standards and create an entertainment experience entirely of it's own. I mean, even before any roller coasters were added (well, excluding FITH) the park was entirely capable of brining in tens of thousands of people in a single day. These days they're more and more in a position where they HAVE to keep adding big rides to keep that up because that is the expectation they are cultivating. This is further pushing them to compete with other parks, rather than keep the successful process they had in the beginning.

There's an entire world out there besides thrill rides, but the single-track mindset of the industry today is keeping too many developers from seeing that, including HFEC. Everyone just wants to hock ride hardware...  /rant

Getting past all that though, if rides are the direction they're going, 2012 looks like it could be a coaster year for us at last, but the chances of anything other than Half-Dollar Holler or something similar coming in 2011 seem like slim to none. I just hope they revised the concept to reach into a larger age range. Imagine an AM attraction themed to the Ozarkan League of Daredevilry (sic) from AP, with Half-Dollar Holler below it. That would really fit in pretty well. The more I think about the AM concept, the more I come up with much better ways to integrate it that what was done at DW.