Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337210 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #330 on: August 19, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
Completely agree about leaving the loop in the woods alone, but I wouldn't mind seeing the area well before the loop (but still between the lines) developed more.   

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 19, 2010, 11:46:43 AM »
Here's an image I did up a while ago using information on a website I can't remember now concerning what parcels of land are owned by SDC/HFEC. Everything within the red is owned by SDC/HFEC; the blue outlines the Wilderness. Note the small red box near the top; the land within is owned by a church located there.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 19, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »
Oh the possibilities. Thanks for sharing, tinaalsgirl. That's a lot of land. Very smart on their part to gobble up plenty around the park for their own use, as well as keeping surrounding developments from compromising the SDC experience. Hope they continue to expand the park, regardless of direction.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 19, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »
Thanks for the map! Kind of neat to see things this way!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 20, 2010, 08:36:10 AM »
I was reading through the "New coaster" thread at the bottom of this topics section last night. Much the same as we are today, it's pretty interesting to see what people were talking about and speculating for a new attraction two seasons ago. The coaster chatter was flying off the proverbial rails at that time and look what we got - a family themed water attraction. Just goes to show you how little we all seem to know. I must say though, the consensus with that discussion reiterated the fact that SDC needs a woodie. it's hard to believe there have been so many cries from fans for one, for such a long time and HFEC hasn't acted on it. Not to mention given how simple it would be to theme that style of coaster to the park.

Honestly, just having another major coaster of any kind in the park would benefit everyone. Whether you like thrill rides or not, their mere presence really helps distribute patrons throughout the park. That's why at this point, I'm hoping the next ride announcement is for a coaster of some kind around the WB area. We need a bigger attraction on that side of the park. The only thing that worries me is the lack of space in that spot. Maybe there's more than I realize, but if they do moved forward with a coaster project on that site, I hope they figure out a way to make it special despite a relatively limited area to work with. Of course, I would welcome seeing them put one anywhere on property at this point. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #335 on: August 20, 2010, 03:56:38 PM »
Not sure the date on the thread you are talking about, but RB was to open last year and MM was to open this year for the 50th.
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 20, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »
Not sure the date on the thread you are talking about, but RB was to open last year and MM was to open this year for the 50th.

Last thread under Construction/Rumors section. October 23, 2008 was the last post on that thread.

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:37 PM »
@backintime: I'm giddy with excitement. I posted that video on YouTube and figured no one would ever see it.  Sweeeeeet.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
@backintime: I'm giddy with excitement. I posted that video on YouTube and figured no one would ever see it.  Sweeeeeet.

Thanks for posting it. I like checking out as many videos as I can taken at SDC. It makes me feel a little closer to the park, albeit from from far away.

Wish someone could catch some updated video of some construction on a new attraction beginning in the park.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2010, 11:33:12 PM »

Last thread under Construction/Rumors section. October 23, 2008 was the last post on that thread.

Well that would put it about right.  RB was supposed to be a 2009 addition and MM was supposed to be a 2010 addition.   
SWOOSH

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 21, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
I have looked at several maps of SDC and two things stand out.  First is just how much land they own and the possibilities that they have. 

Second it is interesting to see how the park expanded.  With all the land that they own they built towards 76.  I would have thought they would have been concerned with keeping the park hidden.  Thus keeping up some of the mystic

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 21, 2010, 11:06:33 AM »
With all the land that they own they built towards 76.

Not entirely. Certainly GE and TGS would indicate that, but the park's two biggest attractions (WF & PK) resulted in expansion in the opposite direction of Highway 76, tapping into that plethora of open land owned by HFEC.

Wish we would hear something...anything...even a tiny hint about what's to come.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 11:07:53 AM by BackInTime9 »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #342 on: August 21, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
The interesting thing about the Grand Exposition is that the space it was built upon was originally a backside parking lot for employees, and crew, and so forth.

So instead of cutting down even more trees, say westward for example, they chose to covert the old parking lot into the Grand Exposition area.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 21, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
With all the land that they own they built towards 76.  I would have thought they would have been concerned with keeping the park hidden.
The only expansion that became visable from 76 is the GE.  They were heading twords the fire department and not away, I think that alone makes sense.  The land beyond Wildfire and below Powder Keg are very steep. if you consider the land behind FITH its fairly flat, I believe they will utilise some of the employee parking lot at some time in the future, they are going to have to make some adjustment for the employee parking anyway. I think they park employees in 3 spots right now.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #344 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:53 AM »
The fascinating thing about Silver Dollar City is that they have a reputation of removing older attractions, and replacing them with newer attractions in the same location.

For example…

The Diving Bell was replaced by The Lost River of the Ozarks
The Jim Owens Float Trip was replaced by The American Plunge
Tom Sawyer’s Landing was replaced by River Blast.
The Waterworks Waterboggan was replaced by… Well we’ll just have to wait, and see.  ;)

Either way, I am glad Silver Dollar City chooses to “refresh” their park rather than bulldoze down more trees.  :)