Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337095 times)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #315 on: August 17, 2010, 09:49:08 AM »
Fantastic news, Swoosh. Thanks for the update.

I may be way off base here as I'm not a park designer, but has anyone considered this:

Let's hypothetically say that an AM-esque experience is being considered for 2011 and the now vacant WB area. From a proximity standpoint, why would HFE want to sandwich this type of attraction right between Geyser Gulch and Grand Exposition? Both of these areas are already the most kid-friendly area in the park offering both thrills and adventure. As I said, I'm not a park designer, but just looking at the park map, I can't understand why they would want to throw another kid-focused attraction in an area already brimming with things just for them. From an overall park standpoint, would it not make more sense to put a larger, more adult geared thrill ride in this location to add balance to that end of the park? Seems like common sense to me. Look at most other park maps and you'll see a variety of rides throughout to encourage exploration and even distribution over the entire park.

As a parent, putting something larger in the WB area would give families even more of a reason and an opportunity to spend time on that side of the park. There would truly be something for everyone there. Proximity aside, I also don't think an AM attraction would be the right move for 2011 given this year's addition of RB was totally aimed at bringing in another family-friendly attraction.

It's been almost 10 year's since we were blessed with Wildfire, five since PK exploded onto the scene, and three years since a thrill-type ride was added (Barn Swing). It goes without saying that I'm hoping for an announcement of something big and thrilling in the next couple of weeks. And for the record, I wouldn't mind if they unveiled a new coaster that wouldn't even open until the 2012 season. It would be well worth the wait.

Can anyone verify whether or not anything has changed at all in the area around the Waterboggan since that video was shot in March?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 17, 2010, 11:02:01 AM »
I wouldn't mind if they unveiled a new coaster that wouldn't even open until the 2012 season.

I would find it suprizing if they announced something commming in 2 years.  The RB was pushed back because of funds and expectation. From all the reports I am reading theme parks and water parks are fairing well this season.
I look for the addition to open in 2011.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 17, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
I know it's been talked about at length, but look closely at the track configuration in this video, as well as the tower-like structures incorporated into MM at Dollywood. Maybe it's not coming to SDC, but from what I can tell, the WB space and remnants look awfully similar. MM looks to have a rectangular shaped footprint...just like the vacant WB area. And how ironic would it be to see Dollywood getting their version of our Giant Swing and SDC getting our version of their MM in 2011. If something on this scale was going in next season, my guess is we would have seen some distinct markers for footings and the like by now, but what do I know. Looking at the park map, I just can't help but think a coaster of some sort will be filling the WB void. That would give you a coaster at each corner of the park.

I love to keep thinking about the possibilities. Just hope we're not talking about some play land on steroids weeks from now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OStk0c4uCFo&feature=related
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:08:33 AM by BackInTime9 »

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 17, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 17, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
There doesn't seem to be anything new going on in that area. When I visited late last September, there was already considerable progress being made on RB despite the official ride announcement not coming until November 7, 2009. Would it even be possible to construct a major coaster attraction in less than six months?

Swoosh, how were the specifics about the announcement worded to you? Was it couched rather nonchalantly, or indicative of something big behind the proverbial curtain?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:06:33 PM by BackInTime9 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #320 on: August 17, 2010, 02:16:48 PM »
^ A lot of work had already been done on RB by then because it was temporarily delayed a year and was supposed to be open by then. Plus, they had to move a tremendous amount of earth to fit it in. It's entirely possible for them to build something fairly sizeable in the space of a few months, it all depends on the factors involved.

That aside though, I have serious doubts that the area could fit a reasonable-sized coaster, unless they do indeed go the G-fighter route. It would look awesome if they used the old tower for a MM-style G-fighter since it looms over that entire half of the park, and the layout would have to be pretty interesting. I'd be a little reserved about it though; I mean, even in the video above there are multiple comments about having to visit the chiropractor afterward and such. It seems like every POV video I've watched people are constantly asking each other if they're still alive from all the jarrs and knocks.  :-\  Fluch von Novregod looks so good though...

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 17, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
They'll have to make the tower more handicap accessible if they want to have a major ride connected to it.  I think it'll end up coming down as it was built for Waterboggan.  Then again, it could always remain a random mysterious tower, much like the towers in the Tom and Huck area.

I really wouldn't mind and expansion of the Grand Exposition area.  Given that Waterboggan sat right next to Red Gold Heritage Hall, which is part of the exposition, they could easily expand the land as well as add a second entrance into the area.  Rides from CC could also be moved over including the carousel, possibly a rethemed Flying Carpet and Accelerator.  I also want the balloon ride back.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #322 on: August 17, 2010, 11:00:16 PM »
They'll have to make the tower more handicap accessible if they want to have a major ride connected to it.  I think it'll end up coming down as it was built for Waterboggan.  Then again, it could always remain a random mysterious tower, much like the towers in the Tom and Huck area.

I always imagined that if they did build a new ride using the old Waterboggan tower that they would not use the original flights of stairs. I always pictured them somehow modeling the ride around, or thru the entire structure itself.

I am not sure why I always imagined it that way? ??? :)

crash

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 18, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Im just wondered about this question lately.  How do we even know that the new ride is going over in that area?...  i mean yea there has been work over there and they have more room.  But why is what ever "it" is going over where WB used to be. 

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 18, 2010, 07:44:41 PM »
Whatever they put in the WB area needs to be an all-seasons ride.  With all the water rides in that area, that part of the park doesn't have a lot to do in the cooler times of the year.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #325 on: August 18, 2010, 08:09:14 PM »
Whatever they put in the WB area needs to be an all-seasons ride.  With all the water rides in that area, that part of the park doesn't have a lot to do in the cooler times of the year.

Indeed.  Who says that THIS attraction is going there?
However most people will point out the fact "they didn't remove WB for nothing"
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 18, 2010, 10:01:29 PM »
I don't think anyone assumes it's a virtual certainty that the next attraction will replace WB. It's just logical to assume that HFEC might start here if they went through the trouble of dismantling WB in the first place. If an existing ride isn't presenting real issues, why would it be removed unless the park had plans to replace it with something else?

I have a very deep affection for SDC, despite the fact that I've only been fortunate enough to visit a handful of times. Although, I have been going annually for a few years now. Does anyone know how much land HFEC owns outside the footprint of the existing park map? Also, are there any other less developed areas in the current park other than the WB location that might be under consideration for a new attraction? Any room for extending the area behind TGS?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 19, 2010, 06:55:47 AM »
At one time the company claimed to have a 2000 acre Marvel Cave Park. But the company has always been active in obtaining more land. I have no idea how much they now own. They rent or own warehouse space in Hollister...at various times they owned or leased property at many Branson area sites like Grand Palace, Grand Village, CC, WW, Ride the Ducks, Branson Landing, the Wilderness/campground area and much land between it and the park, and, I think a lot of the property between Shepherd of the Hills and SDC, including much of that Stonebridge Village area. They do have pockets of areas around the park that could be developed. I must admit in my trip to SDC last Sunday I was surprised at how much territory around the train tracks had been developed over the years. It used to be wilderness out there once you got past FITH. If a theme park owner/developer is paying attention they will learn from Walt Disney's experience with the original Disneyland. If you don't buy plenty of property, cheap crap will be developed around your park, cheapening what it is you have done. That's why the Orlando property is over 20,000 acres.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 19, 2010, 10:52:33 AM »
That's interesting, but seems to make sense. Taking a closer look at the park map would lead you to believe that they must own a decent chunk of undeveloped land around the existing park. Just look at the three biggest rides/attractions. WF, PK and TNT were all built around the perimeter of the park. Kind of makes you wonder if they will continue to do this at any point to accommodate another large-scale attraction. And if so, in what area of the park? I still think there needs to be a major thrills attraction on or very near the now vacant WB site. There is really nothing in that category on that side of the park and adding one could create an anchor for that area. Take a look at this satellite image (probably four or more years old). The arrows indicate vacant areas within or around the existing park that might be under consideration for future development. This picture doesn't include the huge chunk of undeveloped land that runs adjacent from the parking lots all the way to WF.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #329 on: August 19, 2010, 11:26:52 AM »
I must admit in my trip to SDC last Sunday I was surprised at how much territory around the train tracks had been developed over the years. It used to be wilderness out there once you got past FITH.

I hope whatever they do, that they stay clear away from the train tracks! That is the one area of the park that will definitely lose its charm without the loop into the woods.

I think we can all agree that something will probably be built in the footprints of the Waterboggan. Whether it will be the next attraction on the list, or not sure is a mystery. :)

Thanks for the map BackInTime9! I think the major hot spots for a new ride will either be the Waterboggan’s old site, or the area between Wildfire, and PowderKeg. The area between Wildfire, and the square is usable, but sure is hilly! However, that is something Silver Dollar City is famous for.  ;)