Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340147 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2010, 10:53:36 AM »
I, too like the idea of Roaring Falls at Whitewater. They could add a few other features from CC and maybe have multiple themes at Whitewater...the beach within reach...you could have a boardwalk area there too, couldn't you? The original theme of WW back in 1980 was "all the fun of the old swimmin' hole."
Maybe a section of WW could go back to that.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
has anyone given any thought at all to the possibility that HFE is slowly transitioning to a point where Dollywood becomes the main cog in the chain?  It is located near the entrance to the most visited national park in the country.

But Branson is one of the most popular vacationing spots in the US...Surely HFE would never consider letting SDC slip to mediocrity...I am also a fan of refurbishing AP and sprucing up the ride with some alternate paths...
Colorado SDC Fan

pintrader

« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »
I think it is a possibility that HFE doesn't have a choice if Dollywood becomes the main cog in the chain.  What are they going to do, try to hold back one of their attractions because it is becoming to popular or successful.  I would think the Hershend's sentimental feelings would be toward SDC.  I don't think anyone really knows what kind of business arrangement there is between Dolly and HFE.  When Dolly puts money into Dollywood, does HFE match the money she puts in, or visa versa.  Maybe Dolly never puts money into Dollywood and HFE just pays her to use her name.  It would be interesting to know the business arrangement.  In one of the threads someone mentioned that it looked like DW had more money to spend than SDC, maybe this is the reason why.  I also agree that AP needs a refurbishment.  Hopefully by next year they can find some money in the budget to spruce it up.  I always thought it would be nice to get some new boats to ride in.  The ones now are pretty uncomfortable.   

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2010, 03:17:11 PM »
While visiting DW last month, several employees said attendance & $ were way down; HFE was putting most of their $ into DW to keep it afloat.  For every single SDC 50th anniversary item, there was a bunch more of DW 25th (which actually is NOT until next year, FYI)
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »
has anyone given any thought at all to the possibility that HFE is slowly transitioning to a point where Dollywood becomes the main cog in the chain?  It is located near the entrance to the most visited national park in the country.

But Branson is one of the most popular vacationing spots in the US...Surely HFE would never consider letting SDC slip to mediocrity...I am also a fan of refurbishing AP and sprucing up the ride with some alternate paths...

I don't think the execs are exactly putting labels on the parks as to which one is the "flagship" or not. I assume each park receives funding based on the circumstances driving it's business. In DW's case, if I recall correctly, the park is controlled by a joint ownership between HFEC and the Dollywood company, a company set up to serve Dolly Parton's interests in HFEC. The DW company may or may not receive more funding due to Dolly's efforts to continue her "brand" and prominence. Plus, DW is in a more populous area and is competing with other major parks. 

Don't worry, SDC is in no danger of slipping into mediocrity either way anytime soon.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:00 PM »
CEO Joel Manby mentioned on Undercover Boss that Silver Dollar City was the flagship park. Although Dollywood is definitely a major player, I do not believe it is “top dog” just yet. A “younger sister” is probably a better description of Dollywood.

The problem with Silver Dollar City is that the management there seems to be slipping out of touch with some of the theme elements. This may cause the illusion that Silver Dollar City is not considered as much of a valuable gem as it once did. However, even with Sponge Bob, and Lady Gaga, I am sure they intend on keeping Silver Dollar City as prime real estate.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 15, 2010, 01:38:51 PM »
I agree that Rolling Falls should go to WW and the Merry-go-round should go to GE and be accompanied with the Balloon Chase.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
Hello all. I'm new to the board, but not to the city. Seem's like this thread has been way too quiet for a while. I was just getting my quick fix on YouTube with a few city videos and stumbled across this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v97swBcTcNo&feature=related

Seems like there was a lot of early discussion and speculation about what may or may not fill this void, but I haven't heard a whole lot lately.

This was shot in March. Can anyone comment on whether or not anything more has been done in this area? Seems there's much more real estate here than I was envisioning. I pray this valuable piece of land isn't gobbled up by some lame zipline, climbing area, "adventure" experience. That would be a gigantic waste in my opinion. Especially considering the multi-million dollar investment that was just dropped into RB, which obviously caters to kid/family friendly patrons.

Allow me to officially add my name to the list of those petitioning for a true wooden coaster to be added to the park. Given the theme central to what we all love about SDC, I still can't fathom how a wooden coaster is still absent from this park. And for the record, I would welcome a Mystery Mine type ride, but would rather see an authentic wooden design instead. Even a smaller coaster like Evil Knieval at Six Flags St. Louis would be a huge plus. That ride brilliantly utilizes a small footprint within the park, but offers speeds over 50 mph while crossing over itself 14 times. I would love nothing more than to hop on a wooden coaster at SDC that embodies the park's theme and blends into the beautiful natural wooded landscape. 

With GE now a fixture at the park, there are now plenty of kid-friendly attractions. I've heard good things about RB, but it's time once again to bring in a large attraction that's sure to keep the turn styles cranking.   

If for nothing other than fun conversation, please indulge me and respond to anything you may have heard about a pending 2011/2012 project.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »
At this point, I fully believe an Adventure Mountain style concept is on the way to the park next year. Since the loss of the Treehouse, Tom Sawyer's Landing, and Splash Harbor, the park is seriously down on areas for kids to run around and be adventurous. Those kids of attractions used to be the life-blood of the park for young families, and as much as I like rides and coasters, I'd love to see them get back to that with a re-envisioned AM concept.

It doesn't have to look anything like DW's. Image if they made it all look like a real tree house, or a giant fort... The possibilities are endless, and it would be a totally unique feature to the park, setting it apart once again from all the rides-based parks out there. The more I think about it the more I think it would be one of the best additions the park could make.

As for a wooden coaster, it doesn't look like it'll be this year, but any time now...

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2010, 03:32:30 PM »
I am not sure what will be coming down the pipeline in 2011, or 2012, but I have a strong feeling that it will be big. I am hoping that they will reuse the old Waterboggan tower for a high flying rollercoaster, or attraction.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
I was told that an announcement will be coming in a couple of weeks.  ;D
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
I was told that an announcement will be coming in a couple of weeks.  ;D

I hope your right! That would be great!  ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »
^I am, it came directly from the park.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »
Wow, thanks for that info! We'll be watching for the news release.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »

Well its about time, we need something to talk about here.  The season is getting short and there isn't much action up on these boards right now.
Heck, after midnight madness ended that left a big hole in my constructive criticism heart.    :o

Seriously I do look forward to some exciting news, the river battle is great but its not up my alley, I hope this is a cold friendly ride. ( If its a ride at all )