Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 339860 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2010, 10:51:30 PM »
I was told a couple weeks ago Roaring Falls was for sale :)

This is good news.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2010, 11:21:45 PM »
Do any of you think we'll be watching something being built next year.  I don't think we necessarily get something new every year.  I really think we will see the old Still New for '11! campaign.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2010, 11:25:48 PM »
Dollywood gets something every year.  Why shouldn't the flag ship park get something every year as well?
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2010, 09:55:55 AM »
Still New for '11!
I love the truth in that......

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2010, 12:09:58 PM »
Do any of you think we'll be watching something being built next year.  I don't think we necessarily get something new every year.  I really think we will see the old Still New for '11! campaign.

I actually would not mind if they did not build anything new for 2011, so long as they use the time, and money to refurbish older parts of the park, and to plant more trees, and to spruce up the area.

New for 2011, an even BETTER looking park!   :o

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22:14 PM »
But, Roaring falls is a waste of space, all it does is take you up a lift turn and go down a drop, it's pointless when you already have American Plunge just like when DW got Daredevil Falls, Country Fair falls was removed. I would say one of these will go if you do get roaring falls.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »

If they were about to retrofit roaring falls to the plunge area using the old plunge track then swap them out. I am afraid that would be cost prohibitive though.
although it would allow a large increase in people per hour.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »
I’m a little bitter here, but I will say a little something.  Why should SDC get recycled rides when DW gets new things all the time?  I think some of the rides from CC should be moved to SDC finish the loop that connects Wildfire and Powder Keg and install some of these rides inside.  The theme would be Doc Harris’ other inventions.  That would add more rides, yes, but more indoor rides even better.  I think they should sell some of the CC rides and put that money towards a new taller Double Shot ride to be located next to Powder Keg, themed as a fireworks shop or something like that.  Hmmm…

As for the Waterboggan area I hope they save that area for what they originally had planned for the park this season.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:55:31 PM by Copper »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2010, 04:46:25 PM »
Yeah, if they connected Wildfire with Powederkeg, they essentially would be developing the last leg of the old stagecoach trail for purposes today. As I have reported on other threads, I used to enjoy walking the stagecoach trail from FITH through the woods to the back of the float trip when I worked there. It is a pretty area of the park...and now would be a good time to develop it. My memory fails me, so I cannot remember if cutting down a few trees would expose that back part of the park to sights of development along Table Rock. If they were selective in what they did, and they are pretty good at doing that, they could connect the two with a pathway and put some attractions back in there that might really work well. Maybe they could call that area Butterfield Trail or something like that to pay homage to the stagecoach. Whatever they do, if they use their heads, it could be a nice little addtion that perhaps would not cost too much to do. Whatever they do they need to remember to theme well as apparently they have done this year with RiverBlast.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »
Maybe they could build our indoor Stagecoach ride there too!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2010, 09:28:04 PM »
Several people on this thread have referred to SDC as being the flag ship park of the HFE chain....and I agree with that.  However, it has also been mentioned several times that Dollywood gets all the love as far as new rides and investments.  Just wondering out loud here, has anyone given any thought at all to the possibility that HFE is slowly transitioning to a point where Dollywood becomes the main cog in the chain?  It is located near the entrance to the most visited national park in the country.  Another question, if HFE is moving that direction how much thought have they given to the future of Dollywood after Dolly is no longer around?  I'm not saying this is the direction they are going....I'm simply throwing it out for discussion.  It's hard not to notice all the improvements made at Dollywood over the past several years.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2010, 11:40:29 PM »
But, Roaring falls is a waste of space, all it does is take you up a lift turn and go down a drop, it's pointless when you already have American Plunge just like when DW got Daredevil Falls, Country Fair falls was removed. I would say one of these will go if you do get roaring falls.

I agree that Roaring Falls is a waste.  I was disappointed that they spent so much money on it for CC.  I didn't ride it there.  I'd already ridden several in other parks.  Also, what is so exciting about it?  There are no surprises.  I can get just as wet shooting people riding RiverBlast

I hope they refurb AP.  I'd ride this over Roaring Falls any day. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 09, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »
^They got RF because that type of a ride fit the theme they were going for with the park... now the theme they gave it, no idea where that came from.
SWOOSH

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
I think it would be wonderful if they could revitalize the American Plunge! Silver Dollar City used to be famous for their quirky gags along the Jim Owens’ float trip, and to some extent the American Plunge. They could really add so much more theming, and make it more than just an uninspiring float.

As already mentioned, I believe Roaring Falls would fit better (albeit awkwardly) at White Water.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
I think it would be wonderful if they could revitalize the American Plunge! Silver Dollar City used to be famous for their quirky gags along the Jim Owens’ float trip,
Absolutely, if they could utilise more of the old track and legthen the ride they could fit more boats in per cycle.
I do think however if the modify AP they could add the loading system from Dollywoods flume, far superior faster load and unload.
It would be great to revitalize an older ride.0