Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337209 times)

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
Your MIG site has some good insight and snapshots of the "possibilities" as well as Screamscape.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2010, 08:55:18 PM »
^darn you.  Now you spilled the beans on my comment earlier about "if you know where to look"  :P
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2010, 09:56:20 PM »
Hehehehe, I picked up on it for sure.  I thought it was a game!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 22, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »
LET THE GAMES BEGIN
SWOOSH

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 22, 2010, 05:44:58 AM »
Oooookay, creepy!   :o

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
Hey Mike!  Give us some help.  I went to the MIG website and couldn't find any hints or rumors of upcoming SDC projects.  What do I click to get the lowdown?
In His grip!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »
This is what they are talking about..  It is on ScreamScape.. 

2011/2012 - New Coaster - Rumor - (4/2/10) New construction pictures from Silver Dollar City can be found at MidWestInfoGuide. They show off a good bit of footage about what’s been removed to make room for the 2011 project.
    (3/2/10) In addition to the older rumors about a possible Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter coming to SDC, I’m told that the park has also been looking at GCI wooden coaster designs.  This is thought to be a brand new GCI coaster, custom designed to take advantage of the park’s terrain and not a relocation of the Ozark Wildat from Celebration City.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
I actually just googles Midwest Info Guide and 2010 Silver Dollar City.  Some cool up close pics and the above Screamscape link as well is hyperlinked in the article.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
I'd be extremely surprised if they build a coaster this off-season, and I'd be doubly surprised to see them go back to Gerstauler for another Euro-fighter. MM was expensive and is now having issues with roughness according to not just a few people. I expect and hope they go back to GCI for a wood coaster sometime soon, though they are probably still trying to figure out what the future of OzCat will be before they go and build another one.

I think the fact that they left WW's tower means that they plan to do something with it. I can see it being used for a zip line that goes down to an Adventure Mountain/Half Dollar Hollar area. I wouldn't be terribly excited for it, but it definitely seems like something the chain would be planning.

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »
As much as I would like to see something more than a zip line/Adventure Mtn, I can totally see that too.

dwfan

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
MM was expensive and is now having issues with roughness according to not just a few people-shavethewhales.

Actually they mentioned that on thrillnetwork boards, so an employee rode it and told maintenance it was having problems. That was just a couple days ago. Apparantly they have since corrected the problem. So Shavethewhales I think they might want a G-fighter now.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 06:38:44 PM by dwfan »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2010, 07:38:34 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42Sc43HCi8

Watch the vid, notice when they slow the ride the riders throw forward, It is rough and rough on your neck.
I was there a few weeks ago and if we got one in SDC I might ride it once.  IT would end up being a ride like the Lost River, I only ride that when there are guests with that want to go.  I am not interested in getting soaking wet, nor am I interested in having my neck slung back and forth.
Powderkeg and Wildfire are great, so it the Ten. Tornado in Dollywood, I didn't care for the way MM suddenly decelerated and stressed your neck.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2010, 10:45:20 PM »
Honestly except for the section between the 2 lift hills the ride is extremely smooth and a lot of fun.  The special effects and the dark ride portion before the first lift are really cool.  It has already been said that the SDC version would different with the outside portion.  The DW had to be made the way it was due to the topography and space they had to work with keeping mind future expansions.  The SDC one would have a very long narrow area to work with so I would imagine that it would be stretched out more.

Now I am not saying we are getting one, nor am I saying we are not, but it is high up on SDC's wish list to get one.  Originally we were supposed to have our version of MM this year for the 50th, but when RB got pushed back a year, MM got sort of moved to the back burner.  We'll see if the heat has been turned back on or not very shortly.  IF MM is coming next year, construction and dirt moving should begin by the end of this month as this will be a MAJOR project.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:24 PM »
except for the section between the 2 lift hills the ride is extremely smooth and a lot of fun
I agree, unfortunately that part is the " Joiner" to the start and end of the ride, the effects of the ride are great, the upside down is smooth as silk.  The second drop was also smooth as it could be but that middle part.
I still do believe that the way they did some of the track that slowing down that particular coaster car or quickly giving it speed it jerks at your neck.
Even the first little drop out of the station is a neck bender.
I think that when that ride works it really works, it is a good format but needs to be less acrobatic.
 I do wish they would have done another heart line roll.
If this coaster had a longer area and they had not tried to fit so many tricks in a short area it would have been a winner.
Swoosh I am sure you have been on more of this type of coaster than I have. I do believe the shortness of the cars and the height you sit off the track gives it more of an opportunity to be physically demanding ride if they are not carefull.
Whatever they do I am sure they will learn from there first lesson.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
So is everybody thinking that a new coaster would go in somewhere near the old Splash Harbor area?   Or would it be closer to the old Waterboggan?
In His grip!