Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340053 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2010, 10:11:52 AM »

It suprises me that they would do a adventure mountain with as many older people that go to SDC.

I really wish they would do something else for the big boys like me.
Maybe I am theme park selfish but I have no kids and I am interested in something an adult can enjoy.
Climbing a rope trail is low on my scale of fun, that I feel caters to kids but I will see as I am going to Dollywood on the 23rd, I am interested in what I find when I get there.

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:34 AM »
Pardon me for bringing anyone down or anything but I really hope that they ditch this whole "Half dollar holler" ride. I hope that whatever they decide to put in SDC in the 2011 season represents the park or has a story line behind it. Fire in the hole, Powder Keg, and Wildfire are all perfect examples of story lines. I guess what makes me nervous about this ride coming is that it will just be one more thing that causes SDC to loose it's theme. It's a theme park with a ton of history in its background. Not a circus.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #197 on: June 21, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »
^Hey, Maddi..., you're one of us!  I'm still not convinced an Adventure Mountain is on its way though.  With the zipline attractions in Branson now, it would see redundant.  One of the ziplines is even done by the same company that did the one at Dollywood.  That doesn't mean they won't do it though, and I (like you) want to voice my distinct opposition to such an addition.

I can't help but think the Half Dollar Holler may be a replacement for Geyser Gulch (which seems to require constant maintenance).  Painting GG every year must be a pain in the neck.  It appears that Half Dollar Holler is a kiddie attraction with a single entrance/exit so parents can allow the kids to run freer with less worries of losing them.  I am excited to dream that GG may be on its way out, since the best of GG can be included in the new stuff, and it could be kept fresher with newer technology and building materials.  (I am so tired of the color schemes on GG.)

Then, picture a Mystery Mine attraction area in the place of the remaining portion of the Waterboggan and spilling down to the shore of Lake Silver.  SDC would theme the area of the MM to fit and anchor that corner of the park.  Plus it would make for a great skyline/shoreline.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 05:34:20 PM »

Amen to the colors of GG. Your idea may be a good one, if they redid and relocated the GG idea to the old boggin area they could even connect to the Exposition area.
It would take a little adjusting but completely possible.
That would make everyone happy...  :)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2010, 09:23:51 PM »
^^EXCEPT... Adventure Mountain is NOT at ZipLine Course -- it's a ROPES course.
Two completely different concepts.
SWOOSH

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2010, 10:39:21 PM »
Is Adventure mountain basically another version of Tom & Hucks fort?
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #201 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:34 PM »
^^Duly noted, Swoosh.

^You need to go to Dollywood's website to get a clearer view of AM.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2010, 07:20:33 AM »
EXCEPT... Adventure Mountain is NOT at ZipLine Course -- it's a ROPES course.
Two completely different concepts
I am in Pigeon Forge on a trip and I will share with you that AM is much more than a ropes course, its a rope, beam, rocks, water, an obstacle course that is very very extensive and a really people eater.  You are climbing between 4-6 towers on different levels reaching some towers more than 1-2 times on switchbacks.
You " bored" this attraction buy strapping on a harness and feeding your wire and peg into a track that is above your head, this assures you stay on the course the entire time.
Its cool, bit not at all for older folks, it was 95% kids.  What I did notice is that it demands several employees to watch the entire thing, something that SDC would want to stay away from.
It was very well done and really something to look at but a big commitment when you put your line into the track you are in for 20-25 min worth of track.
It was a very cool attraction but not something that I would utilise, I am 40 in decent health.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »
While this sounds cool I'd like to see a Mystery Mine type of ride...Some sort of thrill ride...Swoosh, do you think this is a possibility or is Adventure Mountain a sure thing? Thanks :)
Colorado SDC Fan

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
^ I can't even begin to count on one hand the amount of times that a MM type ride has been put on the front burner only to be move to the back burner again.  The most recent of those was that it (MM clone) was to open for the 50th anniversary -- only that didn't happen because RB got pushed back a year.

SWOOSH

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2010, 11:19:46 AM »
I think that putting in a MM type ride is a better concept than the Half Dollar Holler or an Adventure mountain.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2010, 08:44:12 PM »
I have never visited Dollywood and never heard of Mystery Mine until just now, but after checking it out on line I'm two thumbs up for that ride or something like it coming to SDC.  It looks like a GREAT thrill and theme ride. 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2010, 07:56:56 AM »
It does look pretty good on the video. But I don't know if I've got the guts to ride it!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 27, 2010, 08:21:50 PM »
I really just don't see an Adventure Mountain coming to SDC. And if one does, I think it'd be much smaller than the one at Dollywood. Besides the summer months, lots of older people come to SDC to experience the music, shows, etc. An Adventure Mountain wouldn't be of much use to them, or families with smaller children.

And Adventure Mountain, like Geyser Gulch, would just be a sore thumb in an otherwise beautiful park. If you're reading this you fine people in Georgia, WE DON'T WANT AN OBSTACLE COURSE! We want a highly themed, very fun, Mystery Mine style roller coaster.  ;D
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 27, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
Amen! ;D