Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337208 times)

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »
With the recent SB delays- I'm not hopeful we will get something in 2011.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 07:31:08 PM »
I just remembered that the Balloon Chase is still out there somewhere. I'm sure that they're wanting to set that up again, if indeed they still have it on hand.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
I asked my cousin that works at the park.  She said she was told that there was no plans to bring the baloons back.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
If that's true, that is one major mistake SDC is making. The Balloon Chase was a favorite amongst kids, and even at my age, I still like(d) to ride it, especially to take my little nephew on it. I hate the idea that I'd never get to introduce the ride to my niece.... :(

Joy

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 11:57:09 PM »
I was told long ago that they planned to bring it back, but I guess it could be that they just have too many homeless rides on their hands right now and they don't need to deal with refurbishing it too. Plus, it doesn't blend in too well anywhere in the park, even GE. I always did enjoy it though.

I was browsing through Screamscape's coverage of SDC, and it looks like a few years ago he noted that Gerstauler's name was dropped in connection with the park, with the mention of a new spinning coaster concept. Lance does have a lot of weird sources, but every now and then... I still think they'd spring for the full-on G-Fighter today. I wouldn't be surprised if they looked at spinning coaster options though.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:05:46 AM by shavethewhales »

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 08:44:18 AM »
Why the recycle idea makes financial sense- I appreciate something new to build more anticipation.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 06:55:13 AM »
I think they should integrate the balloons back in with the new ride. There is a need for smaller children rides on that side of the park and they would provide a ride in that area open for the holiday season.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:25 AM »
Well Copper...  You Work there.  Make it happen!
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »
Did hot air balloons ever really fit with the Sawyer/Finn theme?  I don't remember.  I'm afraid they would need to order some new vehicles and repaint the thing to fit the GE colors, but that would be minimal expense.  I'd really rather see a carousel in GE though - easily moved from CC!  It would fit in with very little problems, but I think they have a bigger picture in mind for CC - we just don't have a clue what it might be.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »
The great CC plan- Sell off/relocate/redistribute.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 09:05:35 PM »
The great CC plan- Sell off/relocate/redistribute... and make room for the White Water relocation.

FIXED  ;)
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 12:14:57 AM »
Did hot air balloons ever really fit with the Sawyer/Finn theme?  I don't remember.

Yes, they did fit in with the theme, but the ride was inspired by "Tom Sawyer Abroad," which is a later book of Twain's that isn't as well-known to the general populace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sawyer_Abroad

I only know the connection because I grew up watching the 1985 "Adventures of Mark Twain" claymation movie, and they used "Tom Sawyer Abroad" as the framing story for the movie. And I finally got around to reading the book a couple years ago; if you liked Tom and Huck's "Adventures of" books, you'd enjoy this one as a bit of a palate-cleanser; it's rather more light-hearted than, say, "Adventures of Huck Finn."

Granted, however, the balloon was actually more like a "steampunk" Zeppelin than a hot air balloon as seen on the ride at SDC...

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f201/masterdaz22/Comet_Quest.jpg
(apparently "Comet Quest" was the UK name for the movie, according to IMDb)

If they don't bring back the Balloon Chase, maybe later they could base a ride on the way the balloon was actually described in the book? (with flaps and wings and what-not; really, the design in the movie was fairly spot on) I think that'd be pretty cool.

Joy
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:18:35 AM by tinaalsgirl »

sdcforever

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »
^I knew that they were themed to Tom Sawyer, but I never really knew the connection.  Thanks for the info!

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2009, 01:18:27 AM »
I have been campaigning for CC to become WW for a long time and I wish they did listen to everything I say, wouldn't it be a better place?!?!?!

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »
A new white water on the cc prooerty would be great. The could keep Ozcat and the tidal wave ride and the fountain in front of ozcat and bulid a wave pool on the great lawn
put in new flumes and slides. A water coaster with the uphill runs would add a new element to the park as well.
SDC has always made a great past to remember