Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 337304 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2011 Project
« on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
Normally we'd wait until after the fanfare of the 2010 project has died down to start talking about 2011, but the new River Battle attraction brings up a lot of interesting talk about the possible dismantlement of Splash Harbor to make way for something bigger.

As Swoosh pointed out in the other thread, it's a great location back there for SDC's G-Fighter: being in a back corner means they'll only have to theme the front, and the back will have easy access to the maintainence area. Plus it's not a huge area, but big enough to house a G-fighter similar to DW's that loops out behind the waterboggin and stretches over the train tracks. There were some pretty strong rumors about a Gerstauler project a couple of years ago before all this talk of shelving projects started.

Then again, what about all the CC leftovers? It would be cheaper to just recycle some of them. Roaring Falls just missed being put in RB's place, if the rumors were true earlier this year.

Either way, it looks like 2011 will be a really good year for the park.

sdcforever

Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:08:32 AM »
I think that what they put in for 2011 may depend on the economy and if THRB drives up attendance next year.  If it remains relatively flat and the economy doesn't improve much that may cause them to push any capital projects back.  Granted, the $7 million for THRB doesn't compare to the $14 million for Wildfire or the $10 million for PK (again, helped out by using 30% of BuzzSaw Falls' track), but it's still a major investment that they'd like to see some immediate return on in the way of increased attendance in 2010.

I agree with most on here that the area where SH is now is a perfect location for a G-Fighter if the train tracks are pushed back and it is extended behind WW Waterboggan.  I'd rather not see them use it for a new area, especially not for recycled CC rides.  Why?  Because I think the Grand Expo can be improved.  Reinforce some theming out there and expand it west toward the highway.  Look at all of the room they have to add some recycled (and rethemed) CC rides.

It would be very cool if everything worked out and we got a new G-Fighter and an expanded and improved Grand Expo in 2011! ;D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 08:14:11 AM by SDC Rules! »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:57:00 PM »
^Why would the train tracks need to be pushed back?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 06:03:15 PM »
I'm guessing profits will likely remain flat.  This doesn't seem to be one of those "destination" projects, but of course, there is history of this ride at DW and other parks.  Someone must like it.  My family will more likely be the ones in the distance who are trying to stay out of the way.

Think they'll make a lot of cash from rented lockers and family dryers?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »
The $5 dryers alone will probably float this attraction. I seriously think a lot of these splash battles are built just for that purpose.

I wonder what will go on in the space formerly occupied by the ropes/coaster? I was hoping for some dry additions with this project as well. I hope the old fort will have some elements to it that aren't tied to water so that it can stay open in the off-season.

sdcforever

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 06:41:47 PM »
^Why would the train tracks need to be pushed back?

My bad.  I got confused.  They wouldn't have to be pushed back, although with all of the secrecy used for new projects they might have to get a little creative with the train going back there. :)

I'm guessing profits will likely remain flat.  This doesn't seem to be one of those "destination" projects, but of course, there is history of this ride at DW and other parks.  Someone must like it.  My family will more likely be the ones in the distance who are trying to stay out of the way.

Think they'll make a lot of cash from rented lockers and family dryers?

Profits will probably remain flat, but hopefully attendance spikes a little next year.  As for a lot of cash from rented lockers and family dryers, probably as long as they're themed well. ;)  In all seriousness, I agree with Steve, the dryers will be pretty profitable, especially if they're in an easily accessible location from both THRB and LRotO.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 04:29:56 PM »
Profits will probably remain flat, but hopefully attendance spikes a little next year.  As for a lot of cash from rented lockers and family dryers, probably as long as they're themed well. Wink  In all seriousness, I agree with Steve, the dryers will be pretty profitable, especially if they're in an easily accessible location from both THRB and LRotO.

That's probably the exact reason for the location of the RB - to include LR in the dryer scheme.

^^Yeah, there'll probably be a great revamping around the attraction.  Let us all PRAY there are NO MORE CARNIVAL GAMES!!!  Appropriate and creative attractions are not that hard to come up with, especially for this theme.  While we're at it, how 'bout a really good book store including classic literature from the Twain man himself.  You know, Twain was at the park for the Missouri Sons and Daughters display, but I'd rather see his fictional characters in this area.  I don't think Terry can pull them all out of his bag of tricks though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:44 PM »
Twain was at the park? Dang, I had a feeling he would be, and I missed it... :(

Joy

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 06:47:12 PM »
Time for an attraction that is not water based.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
 "think the Grand Expo can be improved.  Reinforce some theming out there and expand it west toward the highway.  Look at all of the room they have to add some recycled (and rethemed) CC rides."

At the very back of the Great Exposition there is a lovely peice of flat land being used for employee parking. Now personally I would love to see them relocate The Ozark Wildcat to that spot with the right retheaming it would be the perfect addition to that area of the park. The entire look of the ride with its beautiful sweeping curves and old world charm would blend and fit into the area perfectly!
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 09:34:35 PM »
^You do realize how hard it is to relocated a wooden coaster, right?
If anything goes there it will probably be Roaring Falls, but with a more turn-of-the-century theme that goes along with the GE
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
If they (and the people that complain the Grand Exposition doesn't fit SDC) were to research the Expositions of the 1800's, they'd see the area needs a giant Ferris wheel, one that looks like iron, not plastic, a merry-go-round, and many of CC's rides could be transformed to that era, such as converting the Roaring Falls into a Chute-the-Chutes... and add characters, like magicians, clowns, medicine men...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
^You do realize how hard it is to relocated a wooden coaster, right?
If anything goes there it will probably be Roaring Falls, but with a more turn-of-the-century theme that goes along with the GE

Probably, but we can dream. I wouldn't be let down at all if they went that route for some reason. You can't get much better than OzCat.

^I would love all of that though. They could steam-punk the electric star.  ;)

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 02:38:37 PM »
"You do realize how hard it is to relocated a wooden coaster, right?"

This is true but its still cheaper than building one from scratch especially considering its already so close to SDC.
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »
"You do realize how hard it is to relocated a wooden coaster, right?"

This is true but its still cheaper than building one from scratch especially considering its already so close to SDC.

Actually probably not.  You'd have both deconstruction and reconstruction costs, not to mention transporting costs.  It would actually be cheaper to buy new materials and just use the same blue prints again.
SWOOSH