Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340248 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2010, 09:15:29 AM »
Well put, Kerrydale!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2010, 12:05:01 PM »
I sure diehard fans of other parks have the same feelings toward their faves as we do toward SDC.  Wether we want to admit it or not there is competition for leisure dollars in today's economy.  SDC must keep up with other parks, theme....amusement or otherwise or they will not survive.  You cannot keep an operation the size of SDC going with a limited fan base, no matter how large and avide they are about the place.  You have got to continue to build on your base and in this entertainment segment, you do that with the latest and greatest.  Stagnation doesn't make for a successfull business operation of any type.

Any project for 2011 must be a clear home run for them.  Riverblast was just a triple for them.  I believe it failed to generate the excitement they were hoping for.  Every time I go to the park I travel with their target demographic...and the kids I go with just keep going right on past.  It was a been there and done that kind of experience for them.  Even a short line was enough to entice them to ride it more than once.  And I dare to say I'm sure I'm not the only one with this experience.  Riverblast was an easy addition for them.  They had done it before, they had experience with this type of ride...it was a no brain-er for them.  To truly make an impact on the park and not just be another ride, the next addition must be as unique as the park it self is.  Something not before seen...not just another rehash of something they have already done.  I'm sorry to say, we are not going to get that.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
Maybe I'm just naive, but when it comes to competition I don't see SDC as having that much.
From a business standpoint SDC is in competition with the local redbox as well as any other entertainment.  The money you spend at both of these as well as a CD from Wal Mart is discretionary income.  SDC is in competition with every other company in that category.  We have just so much discretionary money to go around.  SDC has to seek out this money.  If they shut down the advertising and additions they would tank.
Its just the way business is.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 21, 2010, 09:34:27 PM »
I visited the park this past weekend and grilled every ride operator and maintenance worker I could on what we could expect and most seemed to think it would be the "return" of a discontinued ride and maybe some brought over from Celebration City.  Nothing set in stone though...
I'm Your Huckleberry

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #469 on: September 21, 2010, 11:11:56 PM »
Okay here is my bold prediction. Get it? Bold? I digress. :P

Anyway, I believe that for the 2011 season, Silver Dollar City will perhaps bring back an old ride, or two. I believe the next major attraction will debut in the 2012 season. So as anxious as we all are for a major attraction next year, I do not believe it will happen.

Mark my words (which I may end up eating later), the next major attraction will open in the Spring of 2012.  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 22, 2010, 08:35:08 AM »
I concur Ozark, This years Riverblast was BIG as in it took several years to accomplish. They removed The Wilderness Water Boggan, BUT they brought back the Rainmaker, even if it was only the cart, and no show as of yet! Balloons sound like a possibility, But I cannot think of any others that have been removed that could cost effectively come back....maybe it is just too early (I am assuming there will be no return of the gandy dancers, or diving bell 2.0)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 22, 2010, 09:43:54 AM »
This years Riverblast was BIG as in it took several years to accomplish
Now Rube you know it took a cpl years cause they didn't want to spend the cash.
That's the straight talk on the matter

They can bring back the Balloons, and the Carousel and.....maybe they can fix the treehouse?............
There seems to be some hinting towards UP in the trees
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:46:37 AM by mhguy77 »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 22, 2010, 06:11:57 PM »
Ozark BBQ, I think you might be on to something!  The Rainmaker show has been going on all summer, including the rain provided by a hose located on the second floor of the Ice Cream Parlor.  I am not sure if it is going on any longer, but I saw it performed at least 20 times while at work this summer.  I think it should have a permanent home in the Grand Expo, so it can go all season long.  Main Street is really full this season with demonstrating craftspeople. 

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 22, 2010, 09:52:37 PM »
I don't believe that the Riverblast would have taken as long as it did if not for the economy taking a dive.  I believe that main reason it was delayed and delayed again was that everyone was holding all their cards (money) close to their chest waiting to see what was going to happen.  I just can't imagine that the Riverblast was the first thing on their list when planning for an addition for this year.  It things had not turned south so quickly I can only imagine what we could have had.

mike_kelly87

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 22, 2010, 11:45:11 PM »
I have 2 things to say here..  :)

If they are going to go cheap I think they need to convert Wildfire to a floorless, especailly since themeing of it would preclude being able to theme a flyer.

My question is who saw undercover boss? Who looked at what the front gate guy built using roller coaster tycoon? Who realizes it kindof takes up the space of what has been shut down? If the series was filmed last year that would give them time design and at least start tracking. (My secret hope is that would be an intamin vs a B&M)

Polley

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 23, 2010, 05:15:40 AM »
My question is who saw undercover boss? Who looked at what the front gate guy built using roller coaster tycoon? Who realizes it kindof takes up the space of what has been shut down?

The ride also had the passengers going under water for a period of time. Yeah, not happening...

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #476 on: September 23, 2010, 12:03:29 PM »
It's been several months since I watched the episode, but didn't his concept include some sort of tunnel that went into, and under the water (essentially keeping the roller coaster dry)? I don't see that as being too far fetched of an idea.

Although, I highly doubt they will use his proposal. I believe the goal for him was to make it to college, or a design school to follow his ambitions.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:05:53 PM by Ozark BBQ »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 23, 2010, 12:20:56 PM »
I am not a cynic, but when I saw the episode, my initial thought on that portion was...so you just met this guy, and are now showing off your pride and joy-a video game roller coaster? I have had people shadow me before in several workplaces, and well...I was never that open about things with them! I am assuming Manby knew the kids aspirations, and wanted to hear his ideas, but I digress. It all just at times  (the show in general) sounds scripted (all episodes) not just the HFEC.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 24, 2010, 09:57:51 AM »
As much as I would love to see a new coaster announced for 2011, I think it's going to be a small miracle if that comes to fruition.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 27, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
FYI, I hate being told things, then being asked to keep my mouth shut, the 2 of you on here know who you are ;)
Latest rumor mill, keep your eyes open on the area between Wildfire & Powderkeg...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park