Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340025 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2010, 11:31:34 PM »
Swoosh I am sure you have been on more of this type of coaster than I have. I do believe the shortness of the cars and the height you sit off the track gives it more of an opportunity to be physically demanding ride if they are not carefull.
Whatever they do I am sure they will learn from there first lesson.

Well Sponge Bob at Mall of America is the same type of coaster and proves that this style of coaster CAN be very successful and a lot of fun without the snappy movements.

I think they need to decide if they want it more THRILL or DARK RIDE.  Personally some fast sections there between the two lifts without the sudden severe directional changes would make the ride a lot more fun. 
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2010, 11:33:05 PM »
So is everybody thinking that a new coaster would go in somewhere near the old Splash Harbor area?   Or would it be closer to the old Waterboggan?

Splash Harbor is too close to the lake and the lake is basically right on top of the cave so it makes it hard to have the type of supports you would need for a coaster in that area.  Now as far as Waterboggan... that sure is a nice open tract of land right there.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2010, 08:10:48 AM »
this style of coaster CAN be very successful and a lot of fun without the snappy movements.
You nailed it, " snappy" yes that's it.
I agree the speed is great, upside down is great, hairpin turns and sudden drops are bad....

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
Now as far as Waterboggan... that sure is a nice open tract of land right there.

Nicely worded!  Ever think about going into politics, Swoosh?
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 23, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »
Being part of the media...Swoosh walks the razor's edge...I know, I've been there and done that, too.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 23, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
whatever are you two talking about  ;D
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
Well, it looks like the popular rumor at the park is still that Roaring Falls will make it's way over here. After seeing River Blast though, I can't say I'll mind too much. If they do as good a job with Roaring Falls it'll be OK.

I half-expected DW's announcement to include some former CC rides as well, but now that we know they won't be getting any, that leaves about a half dozen more older flats that could make it to SDC in the future as well. If the S&S double shot is included with Roaring Falls and both are themed as well as usually I'll be pretty darn happy.

I just hope they don't use Roaring Falls as an excuse to take out AP. I mean, it looks like they tore down SH just so that it didn't overlap RB's glory, and AP is not exactly built to the chain's modern standards...

I also find it hard to believe they'd throw that Half-Dollar holler concept out there and not be planning to use it at some point, though maybe the survey results didn't favor it, who knows.

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:39 AM »
So Swoosh...do you think a ride like Roaring Falls would fit in that "nice open tract of land" where the old Waterboggan was?

In His grip!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
^I think about anything could fit in that "nice tract of land"
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2010, 05:15:32 PM »
I'm still waiting for something to emerge from the "craft" survey that came out earlier, too.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
It will annoy me / not surprise me if all the stuff I have been "fed" this year turns out for naught and we get CC leftovers and some new crafty things instead.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:28 PM »
Well, a new craft would be nice for a huge change, and I'm not counting the C&C School in that category.

I'm not thrilled about a "bunch" of CC rides.  That may be a tipping point if they are not themed - a point of no return for becoming an amusement- and not a theme-park.  I believe that was part of the problem with CC, as many of the rides they boasted were little more than parking lot rides and running it as a one-price park may have been a stretch.

Anyway, since that's not what we're really talking about, I have some amount of confidence that SDC will work at theming the appropriate recycled rides and do something else with the others.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2010, 08:31:54 PM »
SDC did such a good job theming RiverBlast...there is hope they would do so for any CC rides that make it to the park...but, just like History Buff says, if they ain't themed, whooooooo...I sure hope the management has better sense than that.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »
I'm not worried anymore about the company not doing a good job theming new attractions at the park. The last few additions have shown a heavy dedication to atmosphere even if they do bring in a lot of changes. Other than the backside of Grand Expo, everything that has been added since I can recall following the park has been a pleasant surprise. It's not going to be difficult for them to theme a Mack SuperSplash or a S&S Double Shot. I'm not sure about the flying carpet or KMG Afterburner, but I think they might end up somewhere else anyway. I just want the double shot.  ;)

I still wonder what they're doing with the Afterburner though. That was the only actual trailer-mounted ride they kept at CC to my knowledge. I'm not sure they can re-theme that one. Come to think of it, the Wisdom Tornado wasn't put up for sale either, was it? Hmmm... maybe they just sold them already...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2010, 07:47:51 AM »

I rode the double shot and although it could be a fun addition to an area ( swing/silos) by no means is this a feature ride. LINK : http://www.s-spower.com/download/double.pdf 360-480 Riders per hour.