Author Topic: SDC's 2011 Project  (Read 340030 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2011 Project
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2010, 12:24:03 AM »
WE DON'T WANT AN OBSTACLE COURSE! We want a highly themed, very fun, Mystery Mine style roller coaster.  ;D

Hate to use your logic against you, but how is this any different?

Besides lots of older people come to SDC to experience the music, shows, etc. An Adventure Mountain MYSTERY MINE wouldn't be of much use to them, or families with smaller children.
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »
I am in Dollywood this weekend, I would recommend you read the post
" DO we really want a Mystery Mine" I have ridden the ride a cpl times and its not a " repeat" ride, meaning that you can go on the SDC coasters more than once in a row but MM is jarring on the neck. We found that you needed some real recoup time before you wanted to do it again.
Granted this was a first for the company but I think they added a little too much " fun" into a short section of track.
Great concept high dollar first class ride and honestly would look fantastic next to lake silver, but it defiantly needs some tweaking.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
^^They billed Powderkeg as a family roller coaster and this wouldn't be any different.

^I've never been to Dollywood, so I'll just agree that MM is maybe a little too rough. But, it seems that Dollywood is kind of the testing site for all the new attractions that SDC gets. Dollywood got a river battle before we did, and from everything I've heard and expericienced on River Blast, the Herschend's worked out all the negatives for SDC, and made River Blast better than its Dollywood counterpart. So, I'd think that SDC's version would get some tweaking to be the best that it can be for everyone.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
Maybe if they put it where Geyser Gulch is they can have it dive into  Lake Silver like Albert has suggested.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2010, 11:34:22 AM »
You can't do too much to the Lake Silver area since the cave is right underneath it.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »
^^They billed Powderkeg as a family roller coaster and this wouldn't be any different.

Don't take my post out of context.  I want a MM coaster just like everyone else, I was just showing the poster how silly their logic was on why an Adventure Mountain wouldn't work yet they wanted a MM.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #216 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »
^I appreciate the logic, but some folks don't want to sweat that much.  AM requires physical dexterity; MM requires you to be tall enough.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 01:14:53 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 28, 2010, 01:48:18 PM »
how hard is it to walk across a balance beam when tethered?
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #218 on: June 28, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
For me?  Piece o' cake; I do it twice every day.  I'm just sayin', some folks...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 07:09:48 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 28, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
^I appreciate the logic, but some folks don't want to sweat that much.  AM requires physical dexterity; MM requires you to be tall enough.

If they don't want to sweat, they're in the WRONG part of the country during the summer.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »
I also think there would be a slight backlash against an AM at SDC at first, simply due to a local cultural repulsion against anything requiring exerting physical effort at a theme park. However, just like at DW, I'm sure it would become a hit as it is tried out. Since they've already got the concept for it and they apparently aren't pushing any other options around I'm sure we'll find out soon enough. Hopefully we get a smaller version with a few sides.

As far as the next coaster goes though, I think a G-fighter is off the table. As was mentioned before, an MM would be prohibitively expensive in the current light of things, has relatively low through-put, and isn't turning out to be quite as good in the long term as was hoped. A woodie at SDC, however, has everything going for it: cheap, reliable, family-friendly, and a sure hit with crowds. I think they'll come to this realization soon, but I don't expect them to build it anytime terribly soon.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Does anyone else besides me with they would just make an announcement already...    If they don't do it soon they will not have time to build it for 2011.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 02:27:34 PM by oklaSDCfan »
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

maddilives4him

• Hatfield
  • Perserving the past!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
I agree. I think what everyone wants is just to know whats going to be put in SDC.
"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example to others in your speech, love, life, faithfulness, and purity."
                           - 1 Timothy 4:12

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »
My guess is they are focusing on the anniversary season right now...probably would not make a big announcement before fall or winter.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2010, 05:22:19 PM »
^  Then how will they have time to finish the project.  Oh..  Let me guess.  It will be 2012 and we will be looking at a fence all year long next year.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey